Cornwall Football Forum

Throgmorton Semi

Guest Roger

Guest Roger

I had the opportunity of watching this semi final tonight where an ivybridge side deserved their victory. Although I was lead to believe that parkway had beaten ivybridge twice earlier in season quite comfortably. Therefore, I cant understand how they were so poor this evening. I thought ivy looked brigther and seemed to frighten parkway especially down the flanks with two very good wingers but i couldnt understand the formation that parkway appeared to be playing. I couldnt work out if it was 3- 4 -3 or 3 -5 -2 but there appeared to be an enormous gap between the defenders, the midfield and wide men. I overheard the local football reporter for plymouth (I think he was called mike?) saying how parkway had one comfortably earlier in the season playing 4 4 2 against the same team so why did the opt to change the formation?

In saying that maybe 4 4 2 wouldnt have stopped ivy down the flanks but i guess we will never know. Another bizzaar reaction appeared to come from the supporters of the parkway team who continually appeared to abuse their own players accusing them of a lack of committment and stating how they are not worthy of wearing their shirt. From an impartial opinion their seems to be a negative vibe at that football club and I can certainly say I wouldnt like to be part of it. Are their supporters always like that? Ivybridge on the otherhand seem to offer support even wen their team went a goal down (albiet aginst the run of play).

In order to get the best out of a team surely positive support and praise can help instill confidence into a player, i mean be all account im assuming the majority of that side tonight were involved in the two victories earlier in the season. To me parkway players look uneasy on the ball with a fear of making a mistake which would subsequently result in a barrage of abuse from their own supporters. If i was involved in that club I would look to instill an element of positivity and confidence in the team. Can anyone tell me if the parkway players appear to enjoy playing for that club? It would be intersting to find out. I will look forward to seeing the other semi tomorrow night as I live locally near to st balzey. Hopefully I will see and hear more positive support and a more enjoyable football game.

Ivybridge Town are through to May Day Monday's Throgmorton Cup Final after a 4-2 win over Plymouth Parkway at Liskeards Lux Park tonight. In front of an attendance of 196 Parkway took the lead through Paul Baker after 25 minutes but an own goal and a Ben Smallridge volley put the Ivy's in front at the interval. The Ivy's then sealed the win with goals in the 79th minute from Ryan Fice and Jamie Middleton. A late penalty was scored by Parkway.

Your correct the 2 games this season ended in victory for Parkway 3 - 0 & 6 - 0, maybe they went out thinking it was a done deal!!!!!!!

Football...... funny old game.

Good luck to Ivybridge in the final.

Saltash kicking themselves? maybe. Against Ivybridge chance to go 2 up in 2nd half, missed a sitter .

Failed to take advantage of playing against 10 men playing 3 at the back. Lost 2-1 1st goal poor marking at a free kick 2nd one a deflected shot.

What sort of team could they have put out last night? would have been the bare basics due to injuries and cup tied players with the manager prob the only fit sub.

So I'm not kicking myself.

Looking foward to Senior Cup final, going to be a toughie and still hopeful of runners up spot or beter if Bodmin capitulate. Gotta get key players fit.

Coz Saltash had the game against Ivybridge all sewn up but threw it away that's why!

Plus Saltash are a better team than Parkway and Ivybridge and that'll be proved by the league tables at the end of the season.

With all due respect, which your not showing to the other teams, "having the game sewn up" does not win matches......... goals do!!

Have to wait to the end of the season for 2nd answer! Looking at the games STILL to be played, you have to play 4 of the 5 teams above you!

Good luck for the remainder of the season..........

Saltash kicking themselves? maybe. Against Ivybridge chance to go 2 up in 2nd half, missed a sitter .

Failed to take advantage of playing against 10 men playing 3 at the back. Lost 2-1 1st goal poor marking at a free kick 2nd one a deflected shot.

What sort of team could they have put out last night? would have been the bare basics due to injuries and cup tied players with the manager prob the only fit sub.

So I'm not kicking myself.

Looking foward to Senior Cup final, going to be a toughie and still hopeful of runners up spot or beter if Bodmin capitulate. Gotta get key players fit.

Good reply................. and good luck for the Senior Cup Final.

I'm not showing a lack of respect to ivybridge or parkway. All I am saying is that in my opinion Saltash are a better footballing team. Good luck to every team but that's just my opinion.

In fact in my opinion Saltash and Bodmin are again this season the two best teams in the league and I would have liked for them to have faced each other in a cup final.

Its no secret that Saltash just need a composed goal scorer. Although too late this season they need someone like carter or wright or perhaps even fice (wasn't he prolific a couple of seasons ago?).

Saltash have a very strong squad but they need to get Coulton playing regularly and with someone who is clinical in front of goal then Saltash will reach the top.

That's always the case every season for every club with good players but I can't recall saltash having lost a player to another club they didn't want to let go with the exception of Nute. But in fairness as I understand it his personal circumstances left him with little choice.

The saltash squad seem very tight and perhaps the lure of big bucks could see the squad break up but they have been together a long time now and success is on its way if they stay together. Money will be attractive to some who are motivated in that way but the saltash squad know they have something special by way of spirit which is something that can't be purchased.

I'm not showing a lack of respect to ivybridge or parkway. All I am saying is that in my opinion Saltash are a better footballing team.

you obviously werent at kimberly early on in the season when parkway played saltash off the park then??? ok, saltash won the game, but you cant say they are better footballing side.

Guest fromacrossthewater

parkway improving on last season then :glare: poor side end of story, well done ivybridge :clapper:

How can you say that parkway are a poor side? They have a game in hand over buckland and 2 over ivybridge, i know points in the bag are better than the games but you can hardly say this league position is poor. :SM_carton: And yes... well done ivybridge, a deserved victory!!

BODMIN TOWN 28 23 3 2 72

BUCKLAND ATHLETIC 30 18 7 5 61

IVYBRIDGE TOWN 31 18 6 7 60

PLYMOUTH PARKWAY 29 18 5 6 59

TAVISTOCK* 30 17 5 8 55

parkway improving on last season then :glare: poor side end of story, well done ivybridge :clapper:

always have been a bad side, lets face it, its not the first time ivybridge have beaten parkway in a cup game, how many devon cup finals did they ivy win when they were supposedly in a lower league???

trophy cabinets speak for themselves and parkways is empty

bodmin will hammer ivy in the final

Guest Roger

Yeah I agree with you on that one SVEN

Parkway always did have the reputation of being a glorified pub team so get Gez back in the hotseat. He will bring back more steel, aggression and less discipline which is always accompanied with a pub side anyway. I think the saying goes "Carlsberg dont do pub teams but if they did..........."

Having watched parkway a few years a go down at blazey, bodmin wadebridge etc there was always a sense of intimidation that their team brought to the pitch, maybe this has to be reinstalled and bring back the glory days of plenty of bruising, red and yellow cards and no honours.