Cornwall Football Forum

2009/10 Wages Amnesty.

This will never happen I know, give it some thought anyway.

The views of any club officials and players would be interesting.

We all know that clubs player expenses far outweigh the prize money on offer.

Not sure if clubs do spend as much as a £1000 but I know of many that spend between 5 & £700 per game.

Take an average of 40 games with cups etc and your £700 comes to a whopping £28,000 per season.

I grant you that some are considerably less and secretly some of you will know of some that are more.

For one season only, would players forfeit their expenses and have them directed back into their clubs?

Imagine how far that money could go in regard to regenerating old stands, providing more seating, more hard standing areas, better machinery etc.

One season could breath some life into a lot of clubs.

If all SWPL clubs were to come together on the subject in the interests of their futures; the players would have little option! Just how many would travel further afield and would the quality be affected?

I dont think so if everyone followed suit.

Any of the players locally, happen to be scratch golfers? If so, you could argue that their golfing ability is better than their football skills; However I bet they still pay the £500 annual membership!

The players are not all to blame, the clubs need to act fast and use this to self finance some regeneration.

thats a great topic and i respect your comments but i fear players now adays play for cash not pride certainley at top level the money comes into play aslo the amount of travelling i fear determinds a players mind of much salary he expects to earn players play for today not 3 or 4 seasons ahead so there not really bothered about football at grass roots level where the real problems are it doesnt help where sides can pick and choose wether to be promoted or our not this is a league problem which needs to be sorted out or certainly a points fine for the on coming season i feel should be installed

Buckland have been a good exmple of maintaining a good squad and having respectable wages. by this they give the players there wages in "x" amount of months. so for aguments sake half way through the season and at the end. its nice as the players get a few hundred quid as the pay is back dated. however if a player leaves the club for whatever reason, their wages are put back into the club.

however an obvious flaw could be of an unwanted player at the club and him not leaving until the agreed date to collect his wages, being aburden on the club and team, but im sure the club would give him a section of his sum and let him be on his way.

i put it that clubs adopt this approach for future seasons.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Agree with the sentiment but as we all know, that if clubs did agree to a no expenses policy, some players would go to the clubs who have back door payments. IE; a private company or individual who will stump up the cash to pay a so called top player... of course some players already receive these off the record payments and if the Tax Man got wind of these, there would be a lot more trouble than was caused in the last purge.

I personally feel that clubs should be limited to the amount of expenses dished out but as we all know, it will never happen.

Sounds like a sensible approach from Buckland.

Cash flow is a big problem for some clubs and this will help no end, i'm sure.

Of that figure of £28k I mentioned in the first post, it maybe that the club could agree before the season starts that players will get the full amount of expenses if a certain league position is attained.

£28k budget, £14k of which is guaranteed and £14k due as a bonus between the squad if they reach an agreed league position.

This would put an end to dead rubber games as every player would be playing for his end of season bonus!

The higher the league finish, the bigger the bonus perhaps?!

Give me some insurance that covers my wages while I'm off work due to footballing injury and I would play for nothing! but while players get £50 a week after the first week whilst off injured, who can blame us for taking what's on offer? I personally have lost around 5k in the last two years due to injuries, so give me the money!

Just being honest! I love the game, but now know it dosen't love me back when i'm injured!

Sort some better standard insurance and just cover mileage at a standard rate and it might work.

Guest Sport Lover

Crouchy your club should insure you so your covered?

I have played hockey all my life and never received a penny the club has always insured me out of the subscriptions I pay to join the club. Why does footbalkl think they are different?

Hands up on the forum the players that get 'paid' would take a pay cut if their club was in trouble? not many is my guess cos most dont actually care cos all they would do is move onto a club that is going to pay. So nothing will change

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

All clubs have to have Insurance but the minimum amount possible is the norm. As Crouchy has stated, most normally pay out £50 a week for a certain period of time. There is nothing to stop a player using his 'expenses' to pay for BUPA/HSA/PPP cover and still have enough over for a good drink after the match or pay for petrol for the return journey home.

Give me some insurance that covers my wages while I'm off work due to footballing injury and I would play for nothing!

Are you Darren Anderton? :P

You'll be getting a further pay rise from your gaffer if you keep mentioning insurance ideas!

;)