Cornwall Football Forum

Sportsmanship in the Duchy League

My thanks to "Honest" John Osborne, Fowey United's linesman in our match on Saturday who was decent enough to inform the referee of a handball that he saw which resulted in us getting a penalty. There aren't many people left in the game with that integrity and I hope your team mates start talking to you again soon!!

Thought this should get a mention on the site, I am fed up with reading all the negative subjects on here....

i never once said it would be confortable.always new it would be a hard game for us. if your linesman was at least once fair he wouldnt of got the abuse he did. u cant honestly say those to incedents in the 1st half,not 1 of them wasnt a penalty.he was in a perfectly good possision to give either 1.i do believe thats 2 years runnin now we have knocked you out??? oh yea and 2 years we won it. can only remember you having 1 decent attempt at goal and if your keeper didnt have the game he had on saturday it would of been alot more. but unlucky and goodluck in the league :P

Lee,

As club secretary of St Cleer and a spectator at the match on Saturday I am really disappointed with your comments.

Firstly our linesman is not dishonest. He runs the line for us most weeks and is also a qualified referee. I'm sure that as in most games some of his decisons were not to your liking but the abuse that he took from your supporters was not acceptable.

The week before at our match versus Maker with Rame we were awarded a penalty. Our player who took the penalty hit the post and without the ball touching any other player he put the rebound in the net. The referee awarded a goal, but our linesman (the same gentleman) advised the referee that the goal should not stand as no other player had touched the ball. The referee then realised his mistake and did not allow the goal. I don't call that being dishonest.

I think we all appreciate that linesman will make decisions that are not popular with the other side, but he did not deserve to be followed up and down the line by someone from your club who was constantly barracking him.

For that person to then be sent away from the dugout by the referee to the other side of the ground and then try and come on later a susbstitute was joke and just showed what little respect your club seemed to have for the officials.

It is a shame that you have felt the need to come on here and make such comments when the game itself was played in good spirit by the players in very difficult conditions.

I wish you well for the remainder of the cup competition and your push for the Duchy Premier title, but please don't try and bring the name of our club down on your way to doing it, when there is no justification for it.

was just replying to the comments ur player made on here. i think every1 at that game thought we should of had those to penalties. not bringing the name of your club down on this website at all. and as for the manager trying to come on, he had a right to do so as the ref never showed him a red card so he had no reason not to let him play. mine and our opinion thats all

with the linesman being a qualified linesmean and ref and the ref at that game not being in a good enough possision to award the penalty yes you would exspect a HONEST qualified linesman to give it. thats what they are there to do.help the ref with decisions they may not have a clear few of. anyway we got the result and were happy with the performance

Running the line is a very difficult job, and sometimes you can't please everyone. Football is all about opinions and I'm sure that the linesman gave a decision that in his opinion he felt was correct. Maybe if St Dennis play St Cleer again Lee Rickard should run the line as he is clearly an expert at it.

yea i would say i was an expert.hahaha you werent at the game my friend.like you said,OPINIONS, and that is my opinion. trust me the liesman was in a perfect posission to award it but didnt. if you had seen the incident you would say otherwise. but we got the result in the end so its all good

Our regular lino Frank O Niell is as fair as they come, i remember in a cup match last year at your place Ricks he gave a last minute penalty against us for a speculative handball to say the least which won you lot the game. our left back still claims it didnt touch his hand but there you go! Its a ridiculously tough job, and it is annoying when people like Frank gets stick with people claiming he is a cheat when he's as honest as they come.

But i sympathise with some, there is nothing worse than a Lino who clearly favours his home side. If he gets a decision wrong through his own opinion of an incident then fair enough, but when they cheat they ruin the game.

Guest edgcumbetillidie

You beat me to it bigdawg. I was just going to mention Frank "The Tank" O'Neill aswell. And the incident you talked about regarding the last minute penner against St Dennis. He is as honest as they come and a great guy to go with it who enjoys running the line for us. Except when he gets heards of abuse from people.

And people wonder why there are less and less refs in this game.

Be honest Ricks, if your lino was in Franks shoes last season, 2-2 and in the last minute your left back handled in the box, could you say your lino would have flagged for a Pen to put you out the cup?

Before you all start having ago at St Dennis i too was at the game on Saturday and although the Referee got things wrong like most human beings, please bear in mind mattndfc that if the referee and linesman had any balls you would have been down to 9 men and possible 2 nil after 20 mins. There's no point you coming on here having ago at Lee for his comments.

Peter Hockin not at anytime did Lee say anything against your club just his thoughts that the linesman had a bad day. St Cleer are a well organised club and i must add the playing surface on Saturday was the best we have seen anywhere all season so credit to your groundsman.

The game itself was poor and like Lee said you only had one real effort. When 2 of our lads clashed heads in the 2nd period your physio was one of the first there so the comment about the sportsmanship was correct credit to both teams.

Hopefully this matter will now rest because your linesman didn't do himself any favours if he his a qualified referee by raising his hands to a member of our club.

Bad day at the office, but i blame the poor standard of refereeing.

Bighairydave the refree told both linesmen to give or let him know anything he may have missed.

I find your comments a bit of a joke L.Ricks. To confirm what Peter said our linesman is one of the most honest ive seen and has given many a thing against us over the seasons.

I had a bit of banter over the last week with yourself about the game and on the whole i thought the game saturday was played in a good manner although we felt we deserved a shoot out as your team only managed two shots on target all game, although you did seem to leave your shooting boots at home :lol:

In relation to the TWO incidents I think that you will find that one of them was outside the box anyway and if the Ref dont give them then get on with it !!

Whilst we are on topic of sportsmanship I have to say that its a shame your so called supporters didnt conduct themself in the manner of their team !!

Good luck for the rest of the season in the cup and league

I think that its a shame that what initially started out as a very positive posting on the forum has been turned on its head completely.

I'm sure that the majority of people who run the line for clubs on a Saturday afternoon, don't go out with the intention to cheat, but they are human and will make mistakes. Lets face it, how many times week in week out do we see the officials making mistakes in the professional game.

As one of the previous postings said, its no wonder we a losing a great number of officials with the abuse that they still seem to suffer.

At the end of the day St Dennis won the match fair and square and good luck to them. The match itself was played in a good spirit, I just don't think that there was any need to inflame this issue in the firt place.

Johnnie, many thanks for the comments about the pitch. We are very proud of the work that our groundsman does. If it wasn't for people like him and the many other volunteers (including the linesmen!) none of us would be able to do what we all enjoy on a Saturday afternoon.

Our regular lino Frank O Niell is as fair as they come, i remember in a cup match last year at your place Ricks he gave a last minute penalty against us for a speculative handball to say the least which won you lot the game. our left back still claims it didnt touch his hand but there you go! Its a ridiculously tough job, and it is annoying when people like Frank gets stick with people claiming he is a cheat when he's as honest as they come.

But i sympathise with some, there is nothing worse than a Lino who clearly favours his home side. If he gets a decision wrong through his own opinion of an incident then fair enough, but when they cheat they ruin the game.

i didnt play that game against you last year so cant comment on that. but the 2 times i have played against you this season your linesman has been superb. was just commenting on the linesman in our game on saturday.

You beat me to it bigdawg. I was just going to mention Frank "The Tank" O'Neill aswell. And the incident you talked about regarding the last minute penner against St Dennis. He is as honest as they come and a great guy to go with it who enjoys running the line for us. Except when he gets heards of abuse from people.

And people wonder why there are less and less refs in this game.

Be honest Ricks, if your lino was in Franks shoes last season, 2-2 and in the last minute your left back handled in the box, could you say your lino would have flagged for a Pen to put you out the cup?

i think he would yes. mark (our lino) has cost us a couple of goals this season through honesty so i think he would if he got put in that situation.

I find your comments a bit of a joke L.Ricks. To confirm what Peter said our linesman is one of the most honest ive seen and has given many a thing against us over the seasons.

I had a bit of banter over the last week with yourself about the game and on the whole i thought the game saturday was played in a good manner although we felt we deserved a shoot out as your team only managed two shots on target all game, although you did seem to leave your shooting boots at home :lol:

In relation to the TWO incidents I think that you will find that one of them was outside the box anyway and if the Ref dont give them then get on with it !!

Whilst we are on topic of sportsmanship I have to say that its a shame your so called supporters didnt conduct themself in the manner of their team !!

Good luck for the rest of the season in the cup and league

i did leave my shooting boots at home. was wearing a new pair that game which i could quite happily through in the bin.lol (but wont) and as for the 1st incident being outside the box,that maybe so but ur player was still last man and should of walked.not that i like seeing any1 get sent off but i dont make the rules.lol

ive seen L.Ricks play several time this year and have the misfortune to come across most of his post on this website and you would think everyones agaisnt him from he writes... one of the better players in the duchy premier hardly grounds to be bigtime

not sure if this is a compliment.lol :P

Pompey,

Sorry but i thought this was a soccer forum for debate and as you started a topic about sportsmanship in the duchy league, I cant really see your problem that two teams have come on here and 'debated' the incidents from their game.

Also if you had read all the comments you would see that there have been a few compliments passed between the two teams !!

As for the slagging off,i think that you would stick up for your team if someone had something to say and i hardly think that blood will be spilt because of a few remarks !!

Chill out :smiley20: