Cornwall Football Forum

Promotion to the Western league.

Having had a look on the excellent Tony Kempster site at the possibility of clubs taking promotion to the western league, would it a good idea to force clubs to go up?

Say in five years then, you could have Bodmin, Buckland, Parkway, Saltash, and if im lucky, St Blazey in with the likes of Barnstaple, Bideford, Elmore, Frome etc. Surly that would be a healthy league and hopefully bigger crowds.

Any thought or will it never happen in the sleepy, 'well stay as we are for another 50 years and then see' South West!!!

the way i see it is clubs should be professional and play by the rules of the league the idea of finishing 1st or being in the league is to improve facilities and gain promotion for their achievements except some clubs dont want this.

lets talk more professional clubs like argyle. they are trying to build. they may get higher they may not, but they're not saying lets just finish outside the play-offs as its worth staying in the league or theres no way we could survive in a higher league, so i say to clubs who dont apply for promotion why bother at all then. i guess money does play it part. im not undermiming that clubs dont have to apply cause the competition in the leagues is gr8 advert but surely every club wants to go that step further i think its clear to see bodmin are too good for the premier and on course to win it again so lets see them prove a point in a division higher and clubs will look at this and they could do the same.

Those clubs mentioned Paul- Barnstaple Town in the WL(P) relegation position and they do have the option of dropping into the SWPL(P) rather than WL(Div1)

Frome Town have applied for Southern League

Elmore at the wrong end of the WL(1) and with Minehead their nearet club looking to drop into the Somerset Senior league-How long before Elmore the only Devon club in the WL(1) look to transfer sideways into our SWPL(P)?

I have always felt that down to our level, it should be automatic promotion/relegation with no option to refuse.

But the problem is always going to be finding money for the extra travelling and finding players willing to put in the extra hours on the road. Surely it's something the FA want to encourage, so why couldn't they subsidise travelling costs for "outlying" clubs in non-league?

Guest philglossop

I think that if Elmore choose to move across, then they would could go into the Premier Division. However if they are relegated, then they would have to drop to the East Division as they would then become a level 7 club.

So if they are cast adrift at the bottom of Western 1, they could offer to resign and then be placed in Premier Division (if the Western League doesn't have a full quota of member clubs). As a result finish bottom of a step 6 league and move to a err stage 6 league!

Aren't rules odd sometimes. :drink: :drink:

Elmore FC (Tiverton) as I have stated are the only Devon club in a Bristol orientated Western League Division 1-same level as our SWPL(P).

They are lying 4th.from bottom look like losing their local derby with Minehead(32miles) who are bottom and have hinted they will drop into the Somerset Senior League next season.

Elmore's total mileage for the WL(1) is 1329 miles and being only 6 miles from Cullompton whose SWPL(P) mileage is 1070 miles -this would be a more sensible option to join the SWPL.

Admittedly the road network is better where they are now

Falmouth Town have the highest mileage in the SWPL of 1360 miles.

Philglossop- I guess you will be heading North next Saturday for the FA Vase Semi Final

Parkway applied to join the Western League, but lack of changing rooms facilities, were denied entry. Western league would be very happy to let more clubs from this region join up. At the moment it is an exclusive for clubs based in the Avon/Somerset area, I do not think they would be keen on the idea of travelling to this neckof the woods. Bring it on lets see how good they really are.

I am in total agreement that if clubs have the facilities then they should go up. Porthleven have been discussed on this forum more then once regarding this subject. But on the other side of the coin, in this current financial climate, it would be quite expensive to participate in this league.

But the opportunity to play teams from another area maybe a financial incentive for all concern. You would be able to attract the players, but having the backup i.e secretarial duties, pitch repairs also come in to the equation.

It is a big step, Saltash Utd tried it a few years ago and struggled. Truro have done the business, with a little help from a certain business man.

Interesting topic. Would be interesting to see how this develops.

dont wanna sound as if i am applying for a secretarial job but i would be willing to take that role on full time. obviously premier division plus have linesman put in place. but i go to training, i go to committe meetings, i take on tasks, im very organised, i do the programme, i do a website what more could someone who loves football and everything about it. if you want me, come get me.

ok folk, lets turn the question the other way round.

should a team say they dont wish to carry out there relegation? is it not exactly the same principle?

haha thats a gr8 reply best one i have heard. excuse me they're not applying for promotion, can we apply to not get relegated. haha love it :):):)

When Liskeard and Saltash were in the Western League the travelling was not that bad as we had games with Argyle Reserves, Elmore, Dawlish, Tiverton, Bideford, Barnstaple, Torrington, Exmouth, Torquay Reserves and the likes of Clevedon, Weston Super Mare and Taunton were straight up the motorway.

When Liskeard and Saltash pulled out of the league Argyle and Torquay had both withdrawn, Clevedon and Weston Super Mare had sold their grounds and moved up to the Southern League and the bigger guns left in the league such as Tiverton, Taunton, Chippenham and Paulton were all looking to move up and have now done so. How many of them have come back down?

Unfortuantely, when these clubs left they seem to have been replaced by more Witshire based clubs which makes the cost of travelling a nightmare.

The biggest problem would probably be the fall in gates and poor attendances, but on the plus side you automatically qualify for the FA Cup and enter the FA Vase at the 2nd round proper and only one win away from those great Vase trips.

I am sure if clubs were to make that step up after winning the SWPL Premier they would hold their own in the Western League Premier and within a few seasons there would be a few more local games as more clubs go up.

But unless promotion becomes compulsory I can't see any clubs brave enough to make that step even though the majority of us would like to.

When Liskeard and Saltash were in the Western League the travelling was not that bad as we had games with Argyle Reserves, Elmore, Dawlish, Tiverton, Bideford, Barnstaple, Torrington, Exmouth, Torquay Reserves and the likes of Clevedon, Weston Super Mare and Taunton were straight up the motorway.

When Liskeard and Saltash pulled out of the league Argyle and Torquay had both withdrawn, Clevedon and Weston Super Mare had sold their grounds and moved up to the Southern League and the bigger guns left in the league such as Tiverton, Taunton, Chippenham and Paulton were all looking to move up and have now done so. How many of them have come back down?

Unfortuantely, when these clubs left they seem to have been replaced by more Witshire based clubs which makes the cost of travelling a nightmare.

Agree to some extent, although remember that the Devon & Cornwall clubs used to split between the Western League Premier and Div 1 divisions. Since the SWP league the D&C clubs except for Elmore have all been in the WL Premier (currently Barnstaple, Bideford, Ilfracombe, Dawlish, Willand Rovers), together with Chard, Street and newly promoted Wellington & Sherbourne means the travelling in this division is as good as it's been.

Every chance that Taunton town will be relegated back to the WL in a few weeks too.

Bodmin are interested in promotion,Alan Carey stated that on here months ago,pre Falmouth and post Bodmin,but are waiting on ground improvements to meet the criteria,i think 2010 was the target stated at the time.

Why cripple a club by forcing them to take promotion,surely it's up to the other clubs to try and compete with the top team.

This league will get tighter,seaon by season,in my view,look at the improvement at Buckland this season,as teams adjust to this level,they're bound to be more competitive.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old topic, some interesting changes in the Western League next season.

- Bideford certain to be promoted to the Southern League

- Two more clubs from Wiltshire relegated from the Premier, joining Devizes (relegated last season) in Div 1

- Wells City + Odd Down promoted to Premier

- Minehead relegated to Somerset County League

The good news for clubs seeking promotion from SWPL is that just one Wiltshire based club remains in the Premier. The bad news for Elmore (the only Devon club in Div 1) is they have lost 'local' derbys to Minehead and Wells with an increase to 6 trips to Wiltshire next season.

In my humble opinion, clubs who have the infrastructure and finance in place from sources other than one individual funding a shot at the title, are in a stronger position make a decision to go up. Maybe that's why previous winners of SWL and SWPL have not taken promotion?

Club ambition needs to be the driving force, not the ambition of one person, which usually is that elusive (or not) title win!

There are not many clubs in the SWPL with a strong foundation, facilities and committed "clubmen" who could put the energy into sustaining a club without one man's finance.

The last and obvious point is that most clubs already pay way too much money for average players who aren't good enough to play at a higher standard and possibly wouldn't play for what they get now, therefore clubs think they can't afford it.

All clubs ought to make a stand and start paying realistic sums for this level of football and then if players had ambition to play higher and earn more, maybe clubs would be able to afford to improve their facilities first instead of wasting it on players, then pay a bit more for players whose ambition matched that of the clubs, once they were in a position to make the step up.

Just a thought!

Here endeth another season, well done all and well done to the winners!

Falmouth moved up to the Western League a long time ago & are still the only Cornish Club to win that League 4 time in a row, but I agree with money being tight a Club has to be able to afford it before deciding to move up a League,

& as with Truro city the Higher you progress the more it costs,

Going off the subject I thought that Postie Pidge was banned from this site, & as he is still in Prison How does he still have access to a computer,

Hammers :c::blink: :c:

Falmouth moved up to the Western League a long time ago & are still the only Cornish Club to win that League 4 time in a row, but I agree with money being tight a Club has to be able to afford it before deciding to move up a League,

& as with Truro city the Higher you progress the more it costs,

Going off the subject I thought that Postie Pidge was banned from this site, & as he is still in Prison How does he still have access to a computer,

Hammers :c::blink::c:

Hammers, look at the dates!!! Posting made long before PP gone done. In any case, as I am aware there is still censorship on this site regarding PP, so I expect these posts to get deleted!