Cornwall Football Forum

Butcher brothers charity match

Just spent an enjoyable afternoon watching some legends and one day wanna be legends playing at Aggie on behalf of Cancer Research and the British Heart Foundation and in memory of Ian Butcher. Hope loads of money was raised, and congratulations to all involved especially the hard working crew at St Agnes AFC :clapper: :thumbsup:

Guest Sam Boston

It certainly was a great game Scoffy played in good spirits. Apparently they'd raised £2,000 before the kick off and the auction was in full swing when I left. Many thanks to St Agnes FC and Mandy in particular for organising a brilliant afternoon's football :clapper::clapper::clapper: The game finished up 3-2 to Greg Butch with the added thrill of a Butcher -v- Butcher penalty!!

An enormous and huge thank you to everyone who supported today in every way - total so far is in excess of £4200 which will be divided between Cancer Research UK and British Heart Foundation in memory of Ian Butcher! Together we all made an amazing difference!

Full report and photos will be shared tomorrow - a truly amazing day - even the sun shone at Enys Parc!

Mandy Kimmins (Very proud) Chairman St Agnes AFC

Match for Butch

2.30pm on Sunday 29th of March saw an unusually still and sunny Enys Parc home of St Agnes AFC host a Memorial Match to supporter Ian Butcher. Both Ian's sons Greg and Andy were members of St Agnes AFC youth and senior sides for many years and the sides pitted against each other involved a reunion side of the St Agnes AFC League winning team from 2002/03, 03/04 which involved Greg and an impressive looking Select Team involving Andy.

The teams were kitted out in sponsored T Shirts by Martyn Kimmins Print with their team colours representing the two charities the day was raising funds for those being red/white for British Heart Foundation and blue/pink for Cancer Research UK.

The game, watched by a crowd of spectators, was an evenly matched friendly fixture with Tom Benney opening the scoring for Greg's League Winners side.

A penalty was then awarded for hand ball in the area leaving the Butcher brothers facing each other as Greg stepped up to deftly send Andy the wrong way and place the ball into the net.

Matt Salmon then scored for the Select Team and following a goal mouth scramble a deflection led to the Select 11 scoring a second to make the half time score 2-2.

The deciding goal came half way through the second half when a flowing movement from the League Winners across the pitch involving Robin Teagle to Shaun McMahon out to winger Martin Dunstan who beat Chris Davey to cross the ball for Tom Benney to make it 3-2.

Man of the match was Dan Carveth in goal for the League Winners Reunion Team who put in a great performance between the posts returning after 5 years away from the game.

At the end of the match Greg Butcher was presented with the Ian Butcher Memorial Cup by his mum Jean and whilst brother Andy looked on Greg was also presented with the 'top collector 'award by his grandad Bobby Butcher!

All the players helped to raise funds for the day by collecting sponsorship and with raffle, auction, donation, refreshment sales and gate receipts the total raised on the day to be divided between the two charities is well over £4200.

Returning League Winners member Robin Teagle commented, "I have had such fun today, it was great to see all the old faces and I haven't enjoyed a game of football as much in a very long time!"

St Agnes AFC Chairman Mandy Kimmins said, "I am really proud of what has been achieved today, a great game of football and a wonderful amount raised for two worthy charities. The support everyone has shown today is a real tribute to Ian Butchers memory and I would like on behalf of the Butchers and St Agnes AFC to thank everyone who has contributed in every way!"

Guest Sam Boston

Great photos Sam - much better than mine!!!???

I have a new idea for a fundraiser - we must get our heads together to discuss their catwalk costumes!

How about this Mandy?

daffyd_narrowweb__300x4140.jpg

Teams as published in the Match For Butch programme but I know Rusty couldn't play with his broken arm and I saw Matt Baxter in a red T Shirt so I know he was playing as well - teams were pretty much as below.........

Select 11

Team selected from……...

Andy Butcher

Brian Best

Ben Goldring

Dean Harris

Mike Cain

Matt Moore

Matt Salmon

Shaun Halford

Steve Procter

Dale Band

Steve Rowson

Domonic Pullen

Richard Young

Kayne Trevaskis

Chris Davey

Pete Davey

Rob Stapleton

Ian Gosling

(Plus any secret weapons Andy hasn’t mentioned yet!)

Team colours: Red T Shirts

Today’s Officials:

Referee: Ken Keemer

Assistants: Anita Gittins & Ian Baxter

St Agnes AFC League Winning Side 02/03, 03/04

Team selected from…….

Greg Butcher

Dan Carveth

James Thomas

Tom Benney

Phil Willey

Robin Teagle

Shaun McMahon

Mike Cross

Brendon McGovern (sadly in India!)

Steve Bailey

Scott Jones

Lee Gillett (Suspended!)

Andy Collins

Justin Andrew

Steve Kemp

Martin Dunstan

Matt Williams

Liam Heenan (unable to attend)

Danny Osborne

Tommy Osborne (away)

Symon Winnan

Manager: Martyn Kimmins

Assistant Manager: Chris Collins

Assistants: Brendon Curran & Rob Tregellas

Team colours: Navy T Shirts

(Today’s playing shirts were sponsored by Martyn Kimmins Print and are a keepsake memento for the players to take away!)