Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay V Foxhole Result

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

The visitors had the better of a poor first half for the 103 spectators and deservedly took the lead. With the wind coming straight off the sea, it was the Foxhole keeper who made the most of the conditions and set up most of the attacks. Newquays defence again looked suspect and with both midfields being made redundant, it was no real surprise when the vistors made the pressure count to the delight of the 18 travelling fans. Newquay had the better of the last 15mins and created a few chances but never really looked like getting the equaliser.

The second half was much better from the home fans point of view but it wasn't until the ball was played on the ground rather than an 80's Watford v Wimbledon style that Newquay took the game to the visitors. A classy move down the left (as happened so often in recent matches) resulted in a swift interchange between 4 Newquay players leading to Jake Hartigan hitting across the keeper from 14 yards to make it 1-1. Chris James back from injury made it 2-1 to the home side after a scramble in the away penalty area, his header being cleared off the line fell back to him to slot home from 6 yards to send the Peppermints fans into raptures.

Newquay didn't have things all their own way and Foxhole will no doubt wonder how the pressure they plied onto the home dfence in the last 10mins didn't result in a goal. Newquay fans, players and management are happy that they have taken 3 points from a game in which they could so easily have lost 2 of them, Foxhole may wonder how they didn't gain a point. It was always going to be a tough battle as Foxhole have been getting some great results of late and Newquay, have had to battle to keep the promotion dream alive but the players did well not to make the ref work too hard.

It is still tight at the top, but Newquay still believe that promotion is in their hands, games against St Austell (H), Cally (A) Port (H) and PZ (H) will eventually decide the Peppermints fate, oh that that all importnat local derby at G on Good Friday !

I was hoping that we would have a humourous and concise report from Darin Morse but not a whisper so far. Come on Sir, some have been looking forward to hearing your version of events.

I agree that the level of support is not as high as some would have hoped for, but there are certain factors that should be taken into account.

Midweek games normally suffer when footy is on TV or the weather is bad, as is often the case during the footy season. Saturdays is not a day off for most Newquay workers, indeed it is probably the busiest day of the week in a tourist town. I am a civil servant and still have to work 16 saturdays during the year, and as such, use a lot of holiday time to watch my club.

We are lucky that we do have a hardcore support of 80 or so and the clubs that we visit are generally grateful for the added revenue that the Divisions best travelling support brings them.

I should imagine that Tues v St Austell will be a decent crowd despite the Combo playing away and Man Ure on telly. G on Good Friday will be another biggy but again due to Easter Hols, the crowd will be smaller than Boxing day. We also have Port and PZ at home, the latter being a Friday night, these two will bring the crowds flocking.

The club is growing from the bottom up, the towns kids/youth teams are now part of The Peppermints family and as they get older, the Newquay AFC ethos will become ingrained. They are the players and supporters of the future and the club is doing well in looking after all of them.

NEWQUAY LOYAL and proud of it !

Went to watch Newquay play Foxhole Stars on Saturday and parked in Reeds Way rather than the Newquay Football Club car park as it is usually jammed solid…which it was.

To get to Reeds Way you pass the fire station and turn right into the housing estate, drive on to the end where there is a small play park with a parking area and steps leading to Newquay Football Club.

Had my 2 grandsons with me so thought they could play in the park after the match.

After leaving the football match saw a bloke photographing my car and asked him what he was doing. Evidently I was being issued with a PCN (Parking Charge Notice), by this private company, as it was parking for residents only…..Don’t know what you would do if you were visiting someone????? He had to show me the sign which was small!! Also noticed another car had a parking ticket….so not the only idiot!

I did notice more small signs around the site as I was driving out, but if they had been more obvious and I had seen them I would never have parked there!!!

So BE WARNED do not line the pockets of these COWBOYS!!!!

Newquay 2 Foxhole 1

Saturday 28th March 2009

A succession of missed chances in the second-half by Richard Griffin condemned spirited Foxhole to an undeserved defeat against uninspiring opponents. The Foxes had been good value for their interval lead, a suspiciously offside looking Nicholls racing on to Griffin's ball in the twelfth minute to coolly round Armstrong-Ford. Playing some decent football against the elements, Foxhole should have extended their advantage, as Adam Holland's long-range drive flew just over, Butler fired too high from the impressive Ansell's assist, and Armstrong-Ford half-stopped Friendship's effort before being rescued by Bradshaw, who was soon to repeat the trick when his unconvincing keeper flapped nervously at Warne's corner. Griffin then headed wide from Prince's deep cross, while Newquay were comfortably being restricted to tame attempts from outside the box.

Newquay's frustration at their substandard first-half showing became evident when Middleton was cautioned for fouling Ansell, but they improved slightly after the break and equalised within five minutes. Rowe could only partially clear from Weldhen, and the ball broke kindly for the supporting Hartigan to rifle his shot past Holland. Robertson, escaping the clutches of Hobbs for the only time, then seized on to Weldhen's flick but was denied by Holland's legs, before, on 57, James bundled home following a scramble.

Either side of this second goal, seven opportunities fell to Griffin but it was not to be his day, and he was eventually booked for dissent nine minutes from time. Ansell and Butler displayed a similar lack of killer instinct, while Palmer's surprise at being presented with Prince's poor backpass may account for his wayward finish. Despite all-out attack in the final stages, the Foxes were unable to snatch an equaliser which would have been the very least their gutsy performance merited.

Foxhole (4-4-2): Ryan Holland 7; Lewis Prince 7, Jason Warne 6, Mark Rowe 8, Phil Hobbs 7; Andrew Butler 6, Richard Griffin 6, Adam Holland 7, Scott Ansell 8; Liam Nicholls 7, Kyle Friendship 7 (sub. Matt May 6).

Newquay (4-4-2): Matt Armstrong-Ford; Aaron Bicknell (sub. Chris Luxton), Ashley Bradshaw, Sam McKune, Chris James; Luke Rigby, Jake Hartigan (sub. Matt Jose), Paul Hampshire, Shaun Middleton; Luke Weldhen (sub. Scott Palmer), Paul Robertson.

Referee: Mr Steve Rose (Penryn) 8.

Guest Peppermint

I have just read Darin's report of the match at Foxhole and the one on the recent match at Mount Wise.

Interesting to note that despite Newquay handing out a 6-2 drubbing in the first game - Newquay were described as ordinary! This more recent report contains the word uninspiring to describe Newquay.

A double over Foxhole and 8 goals to 3 in reply is very satisfactory and if Newquay are that bad why are they in third position in the table and still in the promotion hunt.

I settle for any description as long as it brings three points - never mind we all see things differently!