Cornwall Football Forum

England this week.....

Jamo

Just wondered what peoples opinions are this week of the possible starting position of Gerrard this week for England? Being a Liverpool fan i think its been interesting seeing Gerrard now moulded into the second striker role, playing in the hole with licence to roam and yet again he is on 20 goals plus this season, i was thinking it may be the answer for England at last with wondering how to accomadate certain players, play Gerrard up top as the second striker with Rooney.

Looks like though according to the papers Capello may be plumping to stick Gerrard out on the left and go with Heskey up top, not knocking Heskey but with Gerrard looking so prolific in his new role and his current form being so good i thought it would be a little odd! I personally think Rooney and Gerrard would be a right handful for defenders if they were up top together, opinions please lol...

I beg to differ, only one of Lennon's crosses didn't end up with a shot on goal for an England player. In my opinion Capello was to keen to give Beckham his token cap and should of left it a further 15 mins for Lennon to stretch the Ukrainian back line. But i suppose it could be argued that Beckham's cross lead to the winner. Perhaps Barry should of been sacrificed as he was on a yellow card and not having the best game, this would of allowed Gerrard to move into his favoured central role and we wouldn't ended up having to bring on SWP :o to provide some pace. Anyway this is all irrelevant, we won!

YAWN, once again another awful performance where although the result is all that matters we were lucky to get it. England have got to finish teams off when they go in front, or is it the new Italian phlosophy of holding onto a 1-0 ?

James........... not much to do and no chance with the goal.

Johnson........ looked nervous and not one of his better games

Cole............. Shocking !!!

Ferdinand........ not much to do

Terry.............. Scored the winner but gave away to many free kicks

Barry............. Not good

Lampard......... Disappeared out of the game

Gerrard.......... Very quiet

Lennon........... just seems to run up his own arse most of the time and needs to deliver a final ball

Rooney.......... The man of the match mostly for his tireless effort

Crouch........... Actually thought he did well. highlight of the night doing the rope celebration :yahoo:

Beckham........ set up the winner but not much else

S.W.P ............ Not much chance to do anything

Jaglielke......... looked very nervous.

This is only a personnal opinion and I hope they play better when i go to the Ukraine in October to see the return leg !!!!!!!!!!

sorry coopsie but his final delivery still needs to be worked on.this was highlighted when beckham came on and delivered for the goal.

he is very good when he has space to go around the defender but he always looks to go outside.to be international standard he must change from being a one trick pony.at the start of the game when he was hugging the touch line waiting for the ball he should have been moving in field to create more space for him to exploit. this is very basic thinking for a wide player and was so apparently lacking from his game against Ukraine. having said that i think the guy has potential and time to learn.he will make a good understudy for Woolcott. this more importantly will give the manager more choice.

why do England always have to win by a hat full of goals to play well 5 games 15points on the board that is all that matters. ask any manager if they would take England's position and i know what the answer will be yet again we come out with the negatives lets get behind the team and be positive for once.

COME ON ENGLAND :drink::c: :yahoo:

1 trick pony???. Becks has made a career out of it and he's loved by the fickle. Lennon only failed to find an England shirt ONCE out of 7 crosses and I'll admit it was a shocking and aimless loft of the ball into the area. Rooney failed to put away 2 crosses that went directly to his feet, Gerrard and Lampard did the same and Gerrard also missed with a free header, yet it's Lennons fault that the goals weren't scored.

Why is it not the fault of the people that missed the chances?. Perhaps Terry should replace Rooney upfront of Gerrard and Lampard in the middle. There is NO argument from any supporters about Lennon still needing to work on his final ball BUT if you've watched him every season since he was 17, you'd see that there has been an unbelievable improvement in the weakest part of his game.

Surely the likes of Capello, Beckham etc know somewhat more about the lads ability that any of us do. They both commented on how he's worked on and improved the side of his game that EVERYBODY knew he needed to and his player of the month would suggest that his fellow professionals also think the same. Then again, what the hell do they know?.

I still think England need a fit Hargreaves. He does the same amount of work as Lampard and Gerrard together. Capello still does not know what to do with Gerrard its a shame because he has a lot to offer. The Beckham v Lennon argument is a non starter. You don't have to be a greyhound to know how to cross and this is what Beckham gives you. He rarely gives away the ball and if he does he will chase 50 yards to get it back. Lennon has fantastic pace and its good that Capello has the oprion. Cole was terrible, just an off night I would prefer Carrick because he reads a game so well. Johnson I'm not sure about but he is settling in well. Rooney was fanrasric and easily the man of the match, but he must be careful with his tackling There was no follow through because he didn't touch the bloke.. Crouch played well and took his goal well, Ferdinand and Terry did ok but nothing really to do. The Ukraine goal was lucky because the ball was going nowhere until it hit Johnson. James had nothing to do although he had trouble with one shot.

Not to bad an effort but they must learn to kill teams off. England are still a breath of fresh air since Capello took over. The last two managers were pretty grim, even Mexico have now ditched Sven

Guest Sport Lover

How long is Cashley Cole going to be given his chance? Cheryl should dump (and go out with me) and so should capello. The bloke is an idiot

Personally I feel that England benefitted from Ukraine sitting back on the draw. We did enough to win and are in a great position to qualify. Normally by now we are facing must win games but this time the pressure has been taken off.

I will be interested to see how England cope with a team who really have a go at them as so far most teams have sat back.

You know what, we are nothing more than a demonstration of how pathetically fickle England supporters are. Here we are picking faults out of team selection, player's positions, player's ability etc etc, yet the fact of the matter is we have PLAYED 5 WON 5, sit TOP OF THE GROUP and are surely pretty much certain to qualify for the World Cup?.

Perhaps we do need to learn to kill teams off when we take the lead BUT I think we've proven that we can do that after our last game against Croatia?. We have to remember that the Ukraine are ranked 14th in the world and are a very tough nut to crack. Whatever the performance was like, no matter how fortunate we were to take all 3 points, we cracked that nut and sit proudly on top of the group with a nice bit of breathing space between us and the rest. Did any of you REALLY think that would be the case half way through the qualification process when the draw was made?.

I say that we should appreciate and embrace the position we're in and start to look forward to a tournament that is once again going to be graced with our national team.

LET THE THREE LIONS ROAR :smiley20:

Guest toaster15

Lennon had countless chances to take on the defender and put in a good cross, but every time just pinged in a random ball and never took on his man. He was rubbish. Might as well started with Beckham, who has the quality to cross it properly. Apart from that England were pretty good, Crouch still needs practice on his celebrations though.

I thought it was just like watching Svens England again,they go 1-0 up,and then just stroll around doing as little as possible.

Go for the jugular,kill teams off.

At least with Cappello,we've now got the tactical nouse to get another goal when teams equalise.

5 out of 5 is great,but world beaters we ain't.

Guest Peppermint

Well said Coopsie and Mr Chairman - five wins out of five and they are still moaning.

Disappointed that people still complain about England when they have a superb manager and he has brought back the pride of playing for England.

What the hell does Whuru and Whistleblower want - to return to the useless reign of McClaren or the overrated Sven!!!!!!

When are the so called English supporters going to get behind the team - I bet the Scottish team in disarray would love to be 5 out of 5.

NO GRAHAM !!!!!!!! i don't want Mclashup back or Sven boreham erickson, after tarvelling all over the world watching England (Including Mexico 86) i am as passionate about the team as anybody else and i dont want or expect them to win 5-0 in everygame, all I was trying to say was that when they are 1 up they tend to drift through a game and everytime there put under pressure you feel that we are going to concede. If they went for the killer 2nd goal staright away then everybody watching could enjoy the game more instead of getting nervous as the clock ticks away.

How many people could honestly say after 80 mins on wednesday that they didn't think england were rubbish, and then suddenly Terry scores and its world beaters again.............

Yes Ukraine are a tough nut to crack and I imagine we will have our toughest game of the campaign in Kiev and yes 5 wins out of 5 is fantastic but he must get the team right now whilst we are in a position to afford to fiddle with the team the full back places being a priority...............

Guest Peppermint

Fair enough John but no where in my posting did I say England were yet World beaters but we are going in the right direction.

After all the much fancied Argentine team were completly humbled recently - serve them right for appointing Maradonna as their Coach/Manager.

I agree that Ashley Cole is a liability and Johnson is not the answer and Barry is not the right man but Cappello is never very wrong with his tactics and England are making progress.