Cornwall Football Forum

YouTube & The Football League

I put up a clip of Plymouth scoring against Burnley last week on Youtube, and on Monday I had an e-mail from Youtube saying that the Football League had flagged the content as it infringed their copyright.

I had a look into it, and they claim that they own all rights to the matches, yet surely I've taken the footage myself, so it's my copyright, not theirs, and I should be able to counter the allegation without fear of being banned from Youtube, and being forced to pay costs.

I've checked on Youtube, as I've now deleted said clip to cover my back, and there are still loads of clips on their of clubs in the league, not just Argyle, which have been there for viewing for a long time, and show the build up to the goal as well - my clip was just the ball rolling over the line, and the Plymouth players celebrating in front of the fans.

What are other forum users views on this? Was I wrong to post a clip on the site, or are the football league being harsh?

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

From what I understand, The Football League own the rights to any and all coverage made within a ground of the Championship and Divs 1 & 2 and ITV have to pay to use those images.

You will almost certainly get away with it at below Blue Sq non-league grounds but The FL do have the rights to any video you may have taken, if you wish to use it, you have to pay them. It's how the Prem League make their money by selling rights to Sky, Setanta and BBC.

The BBC banned me from selling on Ebay, a series of documentaries I had copied off the TV over the years, even though I made no mention of the actual programmes, just the content. They have eyes everywhere !

Ok thanks, yes it does look b******s, yet there is nothing stopping me from pm-ing those who would have an interest in such a clip and e-mailing it to them, or forwarding it on in an e-mail, so I suppose I could just tell people I've got it, and not stick it on Youtube.

Most mobiles have video function on these days, so it would be a pain for grounds to check everyone for phones/cameras etc, and making them leave them somewhere for the match.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I can't see how anyone would track an email from you to a mate, just don't post a link that makes it obvious what you have filmed.

And don't get caught with an obvious camera, I know some Prem grounds where cameras and the like are banned, just like some concerts state the same on the tickets.

If you go onto youtube and type. Plymouth Argyle v Wolves I put footage on there from start of season. That hasn't been removed. By putting that on there will it effect the price of fish? NO. Will it kill someone? No

Exactly - my clip was around 7 seconds, the ball over the line, then celebrations, hardly something that will cripple the league is it?

Even long clips of the European Cup finals are on there, like the shootout between Juventus and Ajax from 1996, and last seasons' final between Chelsea and Manchester United.