Cornwall Football Forum

SHOULD THE ECPL BE REGIONALISED ?

SHOULD THE ECPL BE REGIONALISED ?

Rumours are abounding that the ECPL should be turned into ECPL EAST and ECPL WEST divisions with a play off to decide the championship.

FOR

Both sets of clubs would have more local derbys.

The West clubs would be able to recruit more local players

AGAINST

It would greatly lower the standard of the league in the West with numerous heavy one sided scores but would increase the standard in the East.

The EAST has the power base and will become even more stronger which would continue to strengthen the standard of that division and could mean the two divisions being of a different standard

The travelling arguement doesn't really hold water as the Duchy League also covers a vast area so the travelling argument could be a red herring. Don't forget a team who has to travel east also has their opponnents travelling west for the reverse fixture.

The new league set up is in its infancy and should allow itself to find its own level over the coming years.

SIDE VIEWS

There are numerous pros and cons but first would the CCFA even allow it to shange having just allowed the league to increase to 32 teams.

The league is very popular with more and more teams wishing to join every year. The problem is that many of the new teams joining are from the East as there just isn't the teams in the West with the right facilitites.

The quesrion is should it change or should it remain as it is

"""EAST"""" Cornwall League surely should mean the teams participating are to come from EAST cornwall. I know there has been much discussion recently about teams from across the water joining the league, albeit with good facilities but these teams can only be good for the league. Then how far West can you go to be allowed to enter a team into the league?? Is Wadebridge classed as East Cornwall???, or Sticker???, or Biscovey???, then you go the other way and look at Bude???, Morwenstow??? are these two EAST Cornwall based?? The answer is obviously NO!!

Never a better time to change the name of the league, broaden the entry area (because its obvious most teams are from outside EAST CORNWALL) and continue to move forward as a good standard league and become a very attractive option for teams wanting to enter the league!!

East Cornwall and West Devon league sounds great, but we are still left with a decision on how Easterly a team needs to be to enter the league. And what about the North cornwall or North Devon teams in the league. I am not saying regionalise things here, just a boundary for acceptance into a new structured and newly named league. Or just scrap the whole East and West naming and come up with a league name and specific entry requirements for entry to the league. (What are the entry requirements at the moment) Maybe another look into increasing the numbers again.

Any more thoughts??

In theory as long as a club is a member of Cornwall and Devon FA that is it. I agree with the name change but that I assume is up to the clubs and letting the FA know the new name to be registered. I also cant see the CCFA agreeing to the increase in clubs. Its like you say, how far into Devon do you go. I would suggest the perimeter of Plymout. What about Kilkhampton, as I understand it they ar ethe only corniosh team left playing in Devon. Is it also easier for North Cornwall club susch as Bude etc to play in the West or in the East.

My opinion is keep it as it is. If you don't want to play senior football then don't, nobody is forcing you. It is unfortunate that Cornwall has a junior/senior system if that was to change then I don't think we would have a problem. The league must be given time to settle down as it is. The only reason I brought the question up was because a couple of teams such as Nanpean would like it regonalised. I do wonder though would this question arise if a team was flying high.