Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL CONFIRMED APPLICANTS FOR 2009-10 SEASON

Guest SPECTATOR

Ref: APPLICATIONS FOR PROMOTION (Teams that have applied). I haven't studdied the league positions of those teams concerned, but if any of them don't finish in the top couple of places in their leagues, then they shouldn't get promotion (in a fair and competetive league system).

I know our cricket leagues are more localised, so they rarely have to travel out of Cornwall, but I think it's two up two down throughout those (certainly the senior leagues). The system works fine with them, so hopefully it would with the football. I stand to be corrected ref: the cornwall cricket, but it certainly used to work that way and it worked well. No one finishing in a lowly league position could apply for promotion that's for sure! But if their pitch didn't reach the required standard when finishing at the top of the junior leagues, then they didn't get promoted to the senior. If my memory serves me right, I think Tregony CC couldn't win promotion because of their pitch years ago.

Marjons. Whenever the season starts then that is when it starts. Its interesting to note that teams like Biscovey didn't start their home campaign until 4th October (after 7 away matches) because they are not alowed to use the pitch until then. Lifton started their home campaign on 3rd September after three matches away due to cricket. Marjons will have given their assurances to the league so I really do not know what the problem is.

They have given assurances in the past and not delivered, there is a difference to starting your home games late and not starting at all, just when it suits you. Teams cannot miss any dates they like, I believe that there is a limit, as most leagues impose a minimum number of cancellations. If you ask the vast majority of Plymouth Clubs in local leagues, the 'student' teams are a problem. I make the same point again, having had funding for the college to the tune of several million pounds from Plymouth City Council - apply to their leagues to repay some of the support they have been given. That is if the league would vote them in - having had bad experiences. It's not as simple as you make out ECPL :SM_carton:

• 1 month later...

What a cracking thread this is.

The ECPL has a constitution for 32 teams. 16 each in Premier & Division One

The Premier Division has 14 teams so the bottom two cannot be relegated as there are two places unfilled below them so will receive the top two from Division One.

The Division One has 15 teams. It loses two clubs to promotion leaving 13 teams

There will be no relegation as there is still an unfulfilled place below the bottom team.

This leaves 3 places to fill.

The system for promotion into the ECPL is this.

1) Either by Election

2) Promotion form Duchy League.

As it stands the ONLY team that can be promoted from the Duchy League is the Champions Edgcumbe. If they fail the criteria then whoever finishes 2nd can be promoted. That’s Torpoints thirds so they cant which means the third place team St Dennis can be promoted provided they fit the criteria.

If Edgcumbe can find suitable facilities then St Dennis cannot be promoted

This leaves teams for ELECTION.

In the case of St Dennis, St Teath and Dobwalls resigning from the Duchy League I think you will find these are provisional resignations due to promotion to ECPL. If no promotion then the resignations would be withdrawn and they remain Duchy League.

I think you will find that any team that resigns from the Duchy League to attempt entry into the ECPL (through the back door) will have the CCFA down on their backs. This means if Edgcumbe are promoted then St Dennis and St Teath remain Duchy League teams.

This leaves ELECTION. As above a team resigning from the Duchy League would not in my opinion be able to gain entry into the ECPL as a NEW CLUB. I cant see the CCFA falling for that one. Which means in my opinion Dobwalls and St Teath will not be accepted.

As all the other applicants apart from Marjons and Millbrook are from the Duchy League they cannot be elected.

This leaves two spaces to fill.

Marjons who already have a team in the Devon Wednesday League can be accepted as will Millbrook who are in effect a NEW club.

So my guess is this

Elected: Edgcumbe (provided they have the facilities) if not St Dennis and Marjons and Millbrook.

How does that grab you all

PROVISO

If a team resigns from the ECPL then a second Duchy League side can be promoted.

These are the teams to the best of my knowledge who have applied to join the ECPL.

Millbrook (no team)

Dobwalls (Duchy League Division One)

College of St Mark and St John (Marjons) (Devon Wednesday League)

St Teath (Duchy League Premier Division)

Edgcumbe (Duchy League Premier Division)

St Dennis (Duchy League Premier Division)

CONCLUSION.

Edgcumbe to be promoted

Millbrook accepted

Marjons accepted.

How does that grab you. I also understand that all applying clubs will be interviewed by the ECPL.

Anyone else got any thoughts.

Here's one for you ECPL: if(say)St.Dennis have 2 teams in the Duchy League,could not their more senior side get into the ECPL Div.1 with their second string staying in the Duchy?by doing this,St.Dennis will NOT be leaving the D.L. but only retain 1 team?They could then be free do whatevet they wished with the Premier Division side(e.g. ECPL,Pand D or Fal/Helston League.)

As far as the Duchy League is concerned they would not have lost St.Dennis.

The mind boggles.

Thank you ECPL that answers alot of questions i had on the situation. To clarify though will or could it come down to a vote by the league members, other clubs already in the league?

Just to add i understand why millbrook seconds are being described as no team, (due to the fact we weren't playing last season) however as a club millbrook is starting to progress. I am running the second team next season and already have a squad emerging based on players from last seasons first teams plus players from our u'18's side for next season and some new players.

And for critics out there these u'18's are mainly local players from the millbrook /torpoint area. The first team is currently built from mainly plymouth players, but that is due to the circumstances from last season. The club as a whole is attempting to move forward and bring local players back into the team.

Millbrook will have a second team next season and we will play at whatever level we have to. However from a club point of view it would make little sense to have a side playing in the lowest duchy league 6/7 leagues below the first team. Having said that if we have to work are way up that is what we have to do!

Just to poor water on your theory ECPL there is nothing in the Duchy League rules or the ECPL rules that says more then one team can be promoted from the Duchy League and also if the ECPL is in the pyramid system which they are, then the places should be filled by the highest rated teams not new clubs ATTEMPTING TO GO IN THROUGH THE BACK DOOR your words not mine.

I would think St Dennis and St Teath would be rather upset if the committe decided who joins the league and not the league members after all the committee is voted in by the league members and not the CCFA. The CCFA doesn't get involved what teams enter any League and thats from the CCFA themselves.

ARE YOU A COMMITEE MEMBER OF THE ECPL YES / NO ???

Nothing whatsoever Johnie Bates apart from updating the ECPL Football Mittoo web site.

I'm afraid I don't deal with theorys or opinions. The rules are there for all to see.

ECPL Rule 14

(B) Vacancies occurring after the conclusion of the season may be filled in any of the following ways:

(i) Election

(ii) The last two teams in the League shall retire, but be eligible for re-election as

below, and be subject to the conditions of paragraph (B i) re-election except as below, and be subject to the conditions of paragraph (bii) above.

In the event of a team not completing all of its fixtures for the season, all points obtained by or recorded against such defaulting team shall be expunged form the Competition table.

(d) Where a promotion and/or relegation link exists between Competitions, one Club, providing they meet the appropriate grading criteria, will be eligible to make an application to the League as set out in the Criteria for promotion from Duchy League Premier Division. Should the Champion Club not wish for promotion or, alternatively, not have the necessary grading criteria, then the second or third place Club will be eligible under the same conditions. In the event of there being no eligible Club wishing promotion or not having the necessary grading criteria, no Club will be relegated from the East Cornwall Premier Competition.

All Clubs wishing to remain in membership of the Competition for the following season must confirm their intention to do so, in writing, to the Secretary by 30th April.

JUST A NOTE ABOUT THE LAST TWO TEAMS BIT.

As there are NO LAST TWO TEAMS in Division One - There being only 13 teams left in Division One so the last two teams would be teams who finished 15th and 16th and nobody will have finished 15th or 16th. That rule does not apply.

With Tamerside and Padstow pulling out doens't that mean there a 4 places to be filled in the premier div, then with only 13 teams in div 1 and 2 to go up would this not mean 5 places available or have i misread it.

Also does it say that the bottom 2 clubs or teams finishing in the bottom 2 places or teams 15 and 16 must be relegated or seek re-election.

I must admit i am a little confused because i beleive the teams in the duchy premier have earned the right if there are places available.

We own our ground and have a very good following and committe and should be given the chance on facilities and where we finished last season besides winning the junior cup.

I think everyone is a little confused and we have a meeting with ecpl on tuesday night, but only the executive officers not the member clubs. i thought the member clubs vote on who should be elected or not not sure

On reading your thread again ECPL did Padstow not resign midway through the season thus meaning St Dennis would be elected to the ECPL on merit. Padstow have applied to join the Duchy League then surely one for one.

Also have heard rumours St Columb may pull out which would mean St Teath also being elected the mind boggles.

no suprise its an absolute mess as usual......loopholes, no relegations, some teams can apply some can't. It's crazy. Not an attack on you ECPL, i know you work hard on all this. It's just left far to late. Also didn't camelford withdraw a team and re-apply for the league. I know its a different league so probably different rules.

Aslong as the right decisions are made that's all that counts I suppose.

"As it stands the ONLY team that can be promoted from the Duchy League is the Champions Edgcumbe. If they fail the criteria then whoever finishes 2nd can be promoted. That’s Torpoints thirds so they cant which means the third place team St Dennis can be promoted provided they fit the criteria. "

Johnny,I think ECPL has explained the situation quite clearly:The ONLY situation where a second club from the Duchy League may be promoted is if an ECPL side advances to the SWPL:as was the case last season with Godolphin being replaced by Duchy runners-up,St.Dominick.

Perhaps,Johnny,you ought to seek clarification from the Duchy League or CCFA.

To the outsider such as myself, the ECPL over the past few seasons has always seemed a mess at this time of the campaign with very few people prepared to understand the process. No wonder, because they have personal reasons for finding a hole for their club to get into the set-up.

Wouldn't it be nice for a season when promotion and relegation is relatively straight forward, and all being well we have to look forward to this being at the end of next season, 2009-10.

Let's just hope that all the existing ECPL clubs within the structure are committed enough to ensure they stay there - that is, no one drops out with just a handful of weeks completed; along with all these clubs competing for places able to ensure the league that they can step up and do themselves and the league proud.

I can't help thinking that it seems a little ironic that St Dennis are scrabbling for a chink of hope to get into a league that they had to drop out just a season or so ago because of lack of interest in remaining a Senior side!

I would like to say that this post has been deleted because i have upset certain members and that wasn't the intention

I would however like to point out that any posts i make are my views only and not that of the club i am associated with.

If i offended anyone i would like to apoligise.

Jonny Bates

id like to see you boys up need more local cornish teams back in the league ,getting a tad fed up going all the way to plymouth for a game of footy in the so called east cornwall league

i dont have anything against devon teams b4 i get slated just saying it would be nice 4 some more local derby games!!

:D :drink:

Not sure why your against St Dennis Mr Deacon

Johnny, I'm not against anyone joining the league - all I'm hoping is that this time next season, we don't have to go through this ridiculous situation again when everyone is speculating as to what will happen!

As for mentioning Padstow - I think you will recall I was one that felt the league was left with egg on its face then, I just hope that if there should be 32 teams involved in the ECPL come August - then there are 32 come May next year!

" and have also sent in teams sheets of games that never took place, perhaps you should be asking questions of these clubs and not the fact we are aiming for a better league."

Mr.Johnny Bates: this seems a serious accusation ,and comments like this will NOT endear you to the people who have to vote you in to the League.Will you explain this at your interview with the ECPL? If you won't ,I wouldn't bet against your being to explain yourself at the meeting.May I respectfully advise that before then you arm yourself will the full facts to avoid making a fool of yourself and jeaprodise your possible election.

Sleep tight!!

Guest cescfab_4

I am not so sure about Millbrook's second team for next season due to their position this season, however if many of their U18's can make the step up they could be succesful in games and numbers. Having managed Torpoint's U18 team this season and rumours of many joining the Millbrook set-up I have no doubt that they can play both levels of football to a high standard.

Alestrop i was just staing that we were not in a position to continue in the league because of other circumstances and yes you are right waht happened in the past should stay in the past.

The point i was trying to make is that if there are 2 postions available after Edgcumbe then surely it shopuld go to the two teams playing at a certain level already and are geared up to playing ECPL.

Millbrookmike nothing against your club just think you should start at the bottom and make your way up like other teams have had to do in the past.

Guest philglossop

"May I respectfully advise that before then you arm yourself will the full facts to avoid making a fool of yourself and jeaprodise your possible election.

Sleep tight!!

Ahem, is this PROPER reason why the ECPL looks like a joke for a senior league... if St Dennis cannot be promoted then it should be real reason, not via threats on a forum. Having been involved in football administration in Cornwall and Derbyshire, the response of some Cornish "supporters" and "administrators" are frankly disgusting and prove how damn backward we are looking to the rest.

Rant over.

It should be VERY VERY simple. If there are spaces elect the top teams from the top divisions of the feeder leagues. If there is a full set up, then relegate the bottom two and promote the champions of the feeder where appropriate. If no appropraite teams then the next to bottom are spared, and again the bottom team etc etc.

Guest GOOSE ON

Any news / developments on this East Cornwall application topic???

I know that clubs putting their name in the hat had to attend a meeting tonight (Tuesday) to make their application known and to present their case. This meeting was previously scheduled for tomorrow (Weds) but moved forward by 24 hours at late notice due to Champions League final.

I've heard tonight from a very reliable source that Edgcumbe are going to be accepted as got a pitch to play on just outside Antony, and also advised that it is pretty much a done deal that Marjons will be elected aswell!!!!

However, back to my original question......anyone got any news on meetings attended tonight from any of the interested parties????

Many thanks. :thumbsup:

Why all the fuss about who's in and who's out:

Premier Division:

14 teams last season due to Tamarside and Padstow dropping out...

Plymouth Parkway and Bude Town promoted from Division One with no relegation to bring number of clubs / teams up to 16 for 2009 / 2010

Division One

Started with 16 and ended with 15 after St Newlyn East dropped out.

As stated above, Plymouth Parkway and Bude Town promoted leaving three spaces to fill to bring clubs / teams up to 16 for 2009 / 2010 (assuming no-one else drops out)

Edgecumbe promoted as champions of Duchy Premier providing their new ground / facilities meet the league criteria when inspected next week.

That leaves two other clubs / teams to be elected and regardless of the whys and wherefores surrounding their applications if they are allowed to apply...that's it.

Whatever people's views on the rights and wrongs of who can apply, etc there will be a vote next week and the two clubs / teams with the most votes are in...plain and simple.

If you belong to a club that has strong views on anoter clubs justification in applying....don't vote for them!!!

Guest gats

Why all the fuss about who's in and who's out:

Premier Division:

14 teams last season due to Tamarside and Padstow dropping out...

Plymouth Parkway and Bude Town promoted from Division One with no relegation to bring number of clubs / teams up to 16 for 2009 / 2010

Division One

Started with 16 and ended with 15 after St Newlyn East dropped out.

As stated above, Plymouth Parkway and Bude Town promoted leaving three spaces to fill to bring clubs / teams up to 16 for 2009 / 2010 (assuming no-one else drops out)

Edgecumbe promoted as champions of Duchy Premier providing their new ground / facilities meet the league criteria when inspected next week.

That leaves two other clubs / teams to be elected and regardless of the whys and wherefores surrounding their applications if they are allowed to apply...that's it.

Whatever people's views on the rights and wrongs of who can apply, etc there will be a vote next week and the two clubs / teams with the most votes are in...plain and simple.

If you belong to a club that has strong views on anoter clubs justification in applying....don't vote for them!!!

WISE words Kev :thumbsup::yahoo: :thumbsup: