Cornwall Football Forum

who will win the duchy premier?

The top of the league is starting to take shape now and with games running out fast who does everyone think will win the league?

Will edgcumbe's huge fixture list in April be too much for them to handle?

Will st dennis beat all the top teams to snatch the league?

Are st teath and torpoint still in with a shout?

hay bigdawg. i think its in edgcumbes lap but like u say its goin to be a huge april for them. i think st teath and torpoint have ruined there chances but all the top 4 have to play eachother so could realy go anyway. were still on for the league but goin to take alot of hard work from the lads but will see. gota win all of our remanding games. goin to be an interesting lst 7games for us

we are lookin at the 2 games a week situation as a positive thing, by the end of april when we play you we should all be as fit as we have been all season, and i dont really buy into this tiredness thing from 2 games a week. luckily we wont be affected by people working as we have floodlights so should be at full strength for pretty much every game apart from brett shannon who is suspended which is a big blow.

looking forward to a big month though, i cant see torpoint winning it now though, they cant buy a win at the moment.

St Teath and Torpoint have been in there all season,and will both be there right to the end.We are struggling at the moment with injuries and suspensions,but will do all we can to take it to the end.

Edgecumbe all in there hands,and they will win it.We are capable of second place and will be chasing that,St Dennis only 1 point better of than us ,we both have to go to torpoint and edgecumbe,we have looe away and St Dennis home.All could be decided in the last game of the season at our place,we will be at full strengh for that one .

Guest badgerboy

Gotta be Edgecumbe for the title. Got themselves into a great position and have got to much quality to chuck it away. They proved on saturday they aren't gonna drop silly points in a game everyone was calling tricky. As for the other three would go for st dennis second st teath third followed by torpoint. Obviously the games against each other will have a major influence on who finishes where. Have a good day yesterday kitbag?

Yes mate.dont know if you where at the game.the lads gave it there all but having had a hard game against torpoint on saturday told in the end.The game was lost when jammie kay had to go off IF he had stayed on i think they would have won.Thats football,very good turnout both sets of supporetrs enjoyed the banter,and the kids loved scooby doo.Totally hammererd ,wish i was before the game would have made the scooby bit esaier,great day except maybe for the result.Agree with your prediction,but hopeing to finish second.All the players seem to be committed for next year plus a couple others,so things looking ok for the future whatever happens.

Will be up for it bigdawg ,but you will have a say in our destiney as well.Obviously if you where to beat both all three of us then we would need to win all our other games to be second.Looe on saturday understrengh ,but a couple of lads back from injury and Chris Simmonds returning from bodmin will help.Dony know what the club will do next year but plenty of support from behind the scenes ,lucky we have our own ground etc.Buiding works to be done in the summer to double the size of the changing rooms and complete the stand.See you in a couple of weeks ,hope you play right back,i might play left wing!

Guest radioman

Ok, Here's my views on who will be this years winners.

From what i've seen of all 4 top teams in the Duchy Premier this season, there is only 2 that will remain in contention of winning.

Edgcumbe & St Dennis!

Both team's are playing very well at present and both are far to strong in many area's of the team. Edgcumbe play very good football through out the team, St Dennis on the other had have a strong forward line and there defence plow the ball up to them to do there stuff in front of goal, completly opting out of the football in the middle of park.

St Teath and Torpoint are both good sides too but are lacking in certain area's of the team for strength. Both play some good football at times and have the quality at times to cause teams problems but other times it can just go pear shape and they lose to a team with far less quality than them.

So, from this here's my preditions on how the league will finish......

1st - Edgcumbe

2nd - St Dennis

3rd - St Teath (Odd Point)

4th - Torpoint

5th - Looe

radioman i pretty much agree with your assessment of each side. I think one thing we've had this year at Edgcumbe is a lot of organisation and strength in depth which we haven't had before. At times we've had players on the bench who would walk into any team in the league. This could have caused a problem with generel happiness in the squad but morale couldnt be better, obviously everyone wants to play but it just makes them play better to prove themselves. I know at Torpoint the manager has had a few problems keeping certain players happy, and maybe that hasnt helped their results over the past couple of weeks but things look like they are sorting themselves out there.

I always felt St Dennis were our biggest threat, knowing the Torpoint lads quite well i know they have some quality players, but not enough to win the league in my opinion. They are a good side though full of good players, but i generally feel when their main men dont play well they struggle. They have improved a lot this year, probably thanks to a change in management and im sure will be well up there next season.

St Teath are a good side who can beat anyone, but as an outsider looking in, it never looks like they have got a settled team / squad. From what Kitbag says they always have someone just coming in from here and there, and no matter how good that player is sometimes it takes time to settle into a team.

Until its mathmatically impossible for teams to win it, i expect everyone to fight to the last whistle and cannot wait for the big games coming up.

Not quite right bigdawg,may have given the impression of bringing someone in,have done on three occasions 1 player only and have won all three games.Problem is keeping all the squad happy,some of the lads are growing into it a bit now and will become better players for it.My team selection reflects that at times, and the defeat at St Dennis was my fault, the result home to Pensilva was very dissapointing as thats the best football we have played all season. What ever happens now as long as the players give 100% then they can hold there heads high .All of the top four would compete in the next division in my opinion,what they need to do now is stay together and build for the future,and the rewards will come.Not sure what i will do next year but will continue to support the club in any way i can.

Sounds like your not going to be around next year Will, maybe wrong but that's the impression i get. If that is the case it will be a great loss to the Duchy Premier because along with one or two at St Dennis and a few at Torpoint who have all been involved with clubs in the ECPL and SWL its the experience these players and staff bring to the League that makes it so much better playing wise then the majority of teams in the ECPL Div One. I am not having ago at the League because that's what we are all trying to reach but the standard of football and in 75% of the Div One would struggle in the Duchy Premier. That's why Biscovey, St Stephens, Bere Alston, Lanreath, St Stephens Boro (Pro), have all stayed one season only before getting promoted. I know there was a discussion earlier in the season on this subject and yes didn't agree at the time but there are more competitive teams this year in Div One, but the standard in the bottom half is no where near as good as the Duchy Premier top 6 clubs.

It would be brilliant if all 3 of us that can, got asked to join the ECPL for 2009-2010. Although Edgcumbe would need some poor results against the lessor sides to throw away there advantage. We will all take points of each other virtual certainty.

Radioman not sure how many times you have seen St Dennis play but to say we are a long ball team you obviously need some kind of spectacles. Richard Hawke in our midfield is the best player in the League without doubt (my opinion) and if you have watched us and didn't notice him you can't watch football much.

Edgcumbe and Torpoint have some quality players aswell as other clubs before i start a war. Ted Magor another outstanding player.

Will be interested to see what Kitbag, Bigdawg and Tafc.gaffa thinks about your comments or anyother side and wether they would like to have Hawke, Brown or Hayhurst in there sides.

Not quite sure what the club or i want to do next year jonnie,we will have to see.As for players there are a lot of quality individuals in the league,but the best squads currently sit in the top four posistions.I do think though that players may look at playing for there local sides and football generally will be better for it.To be fair to the ecpl they can only accomadate so many teams,and i am sure that facilities will be high on there agenda when looking at the canadates,you are well placed on that score.The duchy league has been and hopefully will continue to be a great competion for all its members,and i will support them in any way i can ,remember its something we should all enjoy.I wander how many of us can really say that we get as much out of it as we put in!

Massive game on saturday with Edgcumbe v St Teath. Another game which will have a say in the final destination of the league.

Kitbag, unfortunatley for you lot i wont be playing right back this time, got 30 mins on saturday after 3 months out though so hopefully be playing some part, may just have to settle for coming on and getting the winner!! haha

sure it will be a cracker!!

hi mate,sory you want be playing right back,i was going to have a run out at left wing!Good game at looe ,spent most of the time getting the ball back,what a place to play football.Ref played 58 min in first half and 59 in th second,players responded with a superb defensive performance,they are really up for it at the moment. If the real st teath turn up we can get the result that would through the league wide open.You can never say but at the moment all the players are keen to stay next year whatever happens and may well be joined by others that are currently playing at a much higher level,could be good times ahead.

thats what you need, there is no reason the people to be leaving next season you have a strong squad who will be challenging again for the league if you dont end up going up. Thats why we've been so successfull at Edgcumbe, 90% of the team have been together since duchy 4, 5-6 years ago so we know each other inside out. A couple of lads left in the summer thinking the grass was greener at torpoint but look at them now, neither enjoying it and regretting leaving us.

Really looking forward to Saturday, pitch has apparently been rolled this week so shouldnt be as bumpy as it has been recently!!

Things looking up at the moment,first time i managed St TEATH 1993 TO 1999,we got from div 4 to the premier league winning a couple divisions and the cups on the way.We leveled the pitch in 1997 ,we played all our games away that season ,which cost promotion on the last day that year.We moved 16000 tonnes of soil and turfed the field in just 3 weeks ,the whole village seemed to get involved,some of todays team where kids then watching all the work going on.After prommotion to the premier league most of the team left to play at camelford,the route to senior football wasnt open to duchy clubs at that time so no one could have blamed them for leaving.The place was buzzing at that time and i think the same is happening now.Whatever happens i am sure the players will give it there all and thats all i can ask.Time to finish the bloody stand though ,that was started back in 1993,it will be finished in time for the new season,whichever league we are in.See you Saturday ,have a pint afterwards.

I think we edged it yesterday ,in the first half we totally dominated the game and could have been 2 up at least.Edgecumbe moved the lad joonie ahrris into a more centarl role and we found it difficult to contain him.Our keeper made 2 tremendous saves at the deaf,so i think the draw was the right result.We are dissapointed with the draw as we wanted to keep the presure on Edgecumbe,we would have had an 8 point gap if we had won.The crowd enjoyed a great game,and both sets of players showed great respect for each other,and we wish edgecumbe well for the future.

Thanks for your managers comments at the end Bigdawg and i meant what i said to you lads after the game,best of luck for the remainder of the season,we will still keep on fighting to the end.

was a good game well battled by both teams. obviously would have preffered a win but u cant win every game, and i dont think either team really deserved to lose yesterday. we are confident about getting 3 points v torpoint who seem to be getting a little bit excited that we drew to one of the top 3 teams in the league, and i think if we can win we all woulda taken 4 points out of 6.

Massive month ahead, looking forward to all the games, especially to Wednesday.

For the record i think that is the 1st 0-0 draw in Edgcumbe's short history!! Trying to think!!