Cornwall Football Forum

Here are this weekends fixtures.

Can you post your results, goal scorers and attendances here please.

Cornwall Combination League

21st March 2009 (3pm)

MULLION (Charlie Cheetham) 1-5 NEWQUAY RESERVES (Dave Rabone 3, Mike Rabone, Matt Willmott)

Att - 32

PENRYN ATHLETIC RESERVES (Steve Owen) 1-1 WENDRON CC UNITED RESERVES (OG)

Att - ???

PENZANCE RESERVES (Ashley Thomas 2, Wade Brown 2, Gary Matthews)5-3 ILLOGAN RBL (Adam Calloway 2, Andy Cowper)

Att - 76

PERRANWELL P-P HELSTON ATHLETIC

Att -

PORTHLEVEN RESERVES (Ashley Stidwell, Dan Williams, Paul Ainscough, OG) 4-0 LUDGVAN

Att - 45

ST AGNES (Phil Willey 2, Rid Purnell) 3-0 ST DAY

Att - 50

ST IVES TOWN (Simon Carter, Darren Steadman, Matt Thomas) 3-2 HOLMAN SC (Carl Paperone, Andy Hill)

Att - 20

Supplementary Cup Q-F

(Extra time and penalities if needed)

RNAS CULDROSE 0-3 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES (Alex Miller 2, Ross Bowden)

Att - 20

League Cup S-F

22nd March 2009 (Extra time and penalties if needed)

PERRANPORTH (Mike Cain 2, Kayne Trevaskis) 3-1 ST JUST (Neil Curnow)

Att - 120

just spoke to dave fisher he said that the ref informed alan wallace early in the week that he wasn't available. Mr Wallace denies this Issac over to you !!!!!!!!!!!

both teams lovely weather and about 60 people and nothing to do.............

Should this be happening in senior football ???

It was an Ok game today between Pz and Illogan. Great Goal from the PZ who scored a great volly, Penalty Against Jason Roberts which was well taken by the PZ player. Was a few bookings which could have been red for both sides. Language was the worse from both teams iv herd all season too. Congrats for PZ they deserved the win and deserved all 3 Points

Penzance 5 - Illogan 3

Could the perranwell game not gone ahead without a ref ? could someone qualified or not stepped in ??

Steve owen continues his scoring form be interesting to see the form table from say the last 10 games in the league i would say penryn would be in top 6 proving hard to beat in the league

It was an Ok game today between Pz and Illogan. Great Goal from the PZ who scored a great volly, Penalty Against Jason Roberts which was well taken by the PZ player. Was a few bookings which could have been red for both sides. Language was the worse from both teams iv herd all season too. Congrats for PZ they deserved the win and deserved all 3 Points

Penzance 5 - Illogan 3

Iwas there,cracking game,in the bar after Lester Thomas said Pz best footballing side Illogan played this season. :clapper::clapper::ninja:

Perranwell v Helston has been postponed

Referee didn't turn up. Apparently he communicated that he wouldn't be able to make it via e-mail but obviously there's been a collapse of communications.

At least we get to make the most of the weather :angry2:

Why send an e-mail to Perranwell when they`ve only now got used to electric. :P :ninja:

Guest Helston Patriot

Does this mean Helston get the points? Shame it didn't go ahead we were right up for this game with a strong team..

Like i said football is a funny game. No doubt this will be a mid week fixture in april when i'm away :angry2: :(

I know Penzance have a big squad and wear pink, but decking them all out in St Trinian's uniforms is going too far. This might be preferable to decking them out in anoraks that match Tap Tap Trevor's, but sooner or later Truro High School for Girls are going to ask awkward questions about how the club members got hold of them and this sort of thing has got to stop ! Reading the report of the exciting game, I'm sorry I wasted money going to Argyle instead. I could have dressed up in my Jimmy Whacko Edwards moustache, the Craske Rising Memorial Mortarboard and academic gown and delivered a good caning. Hm, don't tell the goat ! Jealous !

But then I would probably have been banned from Penlee Park. The list goes on: Combo League meetings, this website, two clubhouses, three bedrooms, several farm buildings..... I might make a collection ! There has to be a record somewhere !

I'm surprised Dave Fisher didn't ring John Roberts when his ref didn't show up: I'm sure he would have volunteered to turn out in the middle, being a neutral league officer. Mr Wallace is an even more neutral league officer and a fully qualified league referee assessor: he could have evaluated Mr Roberts's performance.

So has West Cornwall kissed the Illogan title hopes to death, with a bit of help from Larry Marsh? The fortunate draw at St Just, the surprise cup exit at home to St Just and the Penzance double in the league are the only serious Illogan reverses outside the Senior Cup, I believe. It was fun reading Lester Thomas in the West Briton.His gist seems to be that only the top teams in the Combo should get the good referees. Sounds like a footballing equivalent of a Tory tax policy. (Sorry, Dave, non-football reference, forgot you're a bank manager. Enjoy your state subsidy, I do ! )

Sorry, Dave Deacon, no offence ! I meant Dave Cameron. Always mixing people up with each other, apologies !

Why not go the whole hog and just make the winning team pay the refereeing expenses ? Ludgvan could save imensely as a result and afford to pay some top players instead.

Oh yes, and there is that semi-final this afternoon. It's bad enough desecrating The Lord's Day. But far more irreverent than that, fancy playing it on MOTHER'S Day. Surely Mr Roberts understands how important that is. Mother will be in the Commercial before travelling up to Falmouth. She may be having words in the stand at Bickland with Mr Roberts about that and those crutches are lethal ! I shall just be offering him a big kiss.

Come on you Tinners, enjoy your day ! You scat out Illogan and St Ives. Now bring on the Mighty Pilchards ! Stock the bar, win or lose !

:D

Other goalscorer for Porthleven was Paul Ainscough. Just want to say well done to Ludgvan yesterday. They made it very difficult for us by being organised superbly by the legend that is John Matthews, but without being a threat at the other end. How many clubs would have thrown in the towel by now & pulled out of the league ? I take my hat off to all at Ludgvan, a wonderfull club with wonderfull people & its really sad to see them in the position they are in, however, just remember that we were relegated from the combo 5yrs ago & the spell in junior football allowed us to start again, be succesfull at that level & be better prepared for senior football again. It is a jolt, but it is not the end ! :clapper::clapper: :clapper:

Mullion 1 - 5 Newquay

David Rabone (3)

Matt Willmott

Michael Rabone

Following a 2-1 defeat at Mount Wise earlier in the season, Newquay were keen to make amends at Clifdon Parc. Despite the sunshine, the strong wind limited early exchanges as both sides looked to settle and the hard surface meant that it was difficult to play football and both sides struggled during the early parts of the match. The game sprung into life when a long ball found David Rabone who controlled the ball and unleashed a stunning volley from the edge of the box that dipped and curled into the far corner, with the path of the ball having started well outside the far post. However, Mullion were almost level straight from the kick-off when a strike from the half-way line gained momentum with the strong wind and sailed marginally over the crossbar with Merrikin seemingly beaten. Newquay forged a second goal when persistence from Jay Tipton was rewarded by an perfectly executed right foot curling shot from Matt Willmott into the top right hand corner from the left of the box. Despite the two goal advantage Newquay were not playing well and were fortunate not to concede. Mullion went close when Newquay goalkeeper James Merrikin spilled the ball and the onrushing striker clipped the ball over the bar, he has also relieved to see a low drive go agonisingly wide of his right hand post and a deft chip just cleared the crossbar.

With clear guidelines from Newquay manager Andy Bicknell, Newquay faltered early on in the second half, giving the ball away immediately after the kick-off. A fine run along the right wing and a perfect pull-back was converted by Mullion youngster and birthday boy, Charlie Cheetham, who struck an outstanding first time drive that sailed into the top corner. The momentum was with Mullion and Merrikin had to be on top of his game to keep the advantage intact. Another fine move from Mullion resulted in a one on one and Merrikin has to be on top form to tip a powerful drive onto the crossbar and away to safety.

Newquay needed to add another to create breathing space and the goal seemed hard to come by, with David Rabone turning inside the box and watching on as his low drive cannoned back off the post and Jay Tipton should have added a third when through on goal. However, David Rabone was on hand to finally add a third, rising above the defender to smash home a header from ten yards. Newquay appeared to have added a fourth goal when a long-range strike from Shaun Lawrence took a huge deflection, the ball shot up in the air and bounced in the box. The huge amount of top-spin meant that the ball leapt up and seemed destined for the top corner. The Mullion 'keeper intervened and appeared to catch the ball behind the line, he then threw the ball out and as Jay Tipton collected the loose ball and looked to score, the 'keeper brought him down. The referee pointed to the spot and a red card looked possible, until the Mullion linesman intervened and gave offside against Tipton. The referee backed his assistant and apologised to the Newquay manager at the end of the game for the fact that a penalty should have been given.

However, this did little to deter Newquay who were looking to add more to their tally. Tipton was replaced by Michael Rabone and immediately after the substitution, a raking ball from Lewis Burgin found David Rabone who calmly collected his pass and slotted the ball home for his third hat-trick in the last six weeks, taking his tally to 18 in 15 games. There was even time for the best move of the match resulting in a fifth and final goal for Newquay. The impressive Shaun Lawrence, making his first start after a recent injury, looked up and found David Rabone with a pinpoint pass. Rabone managed to beat two defenders to the ball and flicked the ball into the path of brother Michael, who put the icing on the cake with a low first time drive from the edge of the area that went through the legs of the Mullion goalkeeper.

Credit to Mullion for not giving up and their newly established and young side have the potential to do well once they have gone through the rebuilding process. Despite not playing well, Newquay are collecting points and will hope to continue winning matches in their final five games of the season.

Man of the match - Shaun Lawrence

Attendance - 32

Guest Helston Patriot

HP Why should Helston get the points? Wasn't their fault the referee didn't turn up/another wasn't appointed!

It was just a question... I never said Helston SHOULD get the points. Please re-read my post, it saves alot of time :blink:

Guest Helston Patriot

The young Penzance player Ian Philips suffered a double fracture to the skull. We don't know if he stayed in for observation or was allowed out over the weekend.

My god! What the Hell happened?? Get well soon!