Cornwall Football Forum

THIS HAS TO BE SEEN

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Should have been moved to Cardiff last year and if it is 2 English clubs again, then Cardiff is the obvious choice. However, the 20,000 sponsors ticket holders would no doubt have nothing to fear from a trip to Rome and would certainly prefer it to Taffy land.

Not sure that the locals would come out against 2 English clubs in Rome, Chels, Scouse and Mancs would be there in huge numbers and Roma/Lazio bad boys don't bother when they are outnumbered.

Its UEFA, money grabbing bastards as bad as the FA.

No thought about the fans, why make 40,000 plus from the same country travel to a different one. They should put something in place saying, if there are 2 clubs from the same country in the final then the final gets played in that country.

If its a Liverpool v Man Utd final in Rome, then carnage will ensue, no doubt about it. Liverpool would take 30,000 at least, Utd would probably take the same, and then add a load of Rome ultra's who everyone knows has history with English fans then its a recipe for disaster!

One good thing for Liverpool though is that, "we always win in Rome"

Safety and playing it in the country shared by the finalists is a separate issue.

Should Rome hold it on safety grounds? IMO no. Can you imagine if the incidents had taken place in England? It reminds me of some of the fans behaviour in Turkey a few years back. At the end of the day, no matter how big the game is, it is only a game and the supporters should not be in danger of their lives. I've been to Millwall and Cardiff and many other British club grounds with varying levels of intimitdation and it does add to the experience a little to have that feeling of being on another teams turf as it were. However, whilst some places can be intimidating (at Wolves a few years back I really thought I was in for a good kicking when I went for a drink in the wrong pub), I have never feared for my life. In my opinion, Rome does not have guaranteed safety. Therefore moving the venue would be a good idea.

However, I also don't see the need to move the final to a country just because the two finalists are from that country. At the end of the day, all four of the English clubs left in have played at the big British grounds (Wembly, Millenium, etc.) before and I think that as it is a European competition it is nice for the fans to have a good day/few days out on the continent and to visit another big ground for a final. Surely the whole point of European competition is to play some different foreign opposition and for the supporters to have a chance to travel.

It's almost like saying that if Liverpool were to meet Man Utd. in a English cup final they should play at Man City's ground as it's closer to both teams.

Guest Peppermint

Well said St Darren - UEFA are totallt inept and dare I say incompetent and do nothing for the sensible administration of football. They have a total disregard for the football supporters of all English teams.

Only once.

I went to Euro 2004 and for me it was the ultimate football supporting experience. managed to get tickets to all four England games so stayed out there for just under a month.

Different I know to European Club competitions.

The prices probably do get pumped up, flights certainly do. My flights to Lisbon were £250 return from Gatwick as we booked a long way in advance. Nearer the time they were over double that and in the weeks leading up to the tournament were closing in on a grand.

However, for a cup final, it'd be worth it. It's not like they pay it week in week out.

Talking about expense to fans, the F.A., U.E.F.A., etc don't give a toss.

The fact that in any big match, the percentage of tickets that are allocated to clubs in ridiculous, means that fans often have to go through touts to get tickets anyway. I saw a bloke pay £700 to a chap for a ticket to see England v France in Portugal. If England had been allocated a decent percentage of tickets (say 45% for English fans, 45% French and 10% corporate) he would have stood a good chance of paying the £20 that I did.

I still think that for a cup final experience it is all worth it.

Darren, you're onto something pal. What do you reckon on the thought that uefa want the game played in Italy, the Italians kick off, the English defend themselves, then all English clubs get banned from European footy again, leaving Mr Blatter and Mr Platini to have just what they want.... All those horrible English clubs out of the way :angry: .

Have to agree about Platini & Blatter and the English clubs. I've said it before, they are just jealous of the Prem and the resulting successes in Europe.

As for the ECL Final, I refused to pay the thick end of a grand for a "day-trip" to Moscow. However I would have gladly paid much more for a 5-day trip but the clubs can't be assed to offer them except to the priveliged few. It's the same with any major sporting event .. not enough hotels, not enough flights (the 2 teams supporters have to use different destination airports for security reasons).

Rome should NOT have been awarded the final with their history. I also think that no team should be allowed to play the final on their own ground. I'm sure the UEFA officials have their flights and hotels booked and wouldn't want to be inconvenienced by changing the venue!

Obviously hoping Chelsea go one better than last year but I won't be going. Will wait for Wembley 2011.