Jump to content

Penzance v Perranwell

Recommended Posts

14th March 2009

Penzance Reserves 0-3 Perranwell

After two comfortable away wins at Hayle and Mullion, Penzance faced a much sterner test in the sunshine at Penlee Park on Saturday. Perranwell always a tough nut to crack proved to strong and wise for the young Magpies team but they did not have it all there own way and were forced to work hard for their 3-0 victory.

Perranwell, unbeaten since the first week of January are challengers for the League Championship and showed it when coming forward and only allowed Penzance a few glimpses of goal. As early as the 2nd minute Perranwell catch Penzance asleep and go into the lead. They force a corner on the right. It is floated into the box, headed in, the keeper scoops the ball out, the defence stands still and Jake Harvey reacts first to tap in from 6yds out. 0-1 after 2mins.

Penzance react by breaking right with Ashley Thomas who passes left to Ross Badcock but he shoots wide from the edge of the box. Charlie Penny then comes to Penzance’s rescue as Perranwell break into the box, flipped the ball past the keeper, but Penny gets back to prevent the ball crossing the line.

A cross pitch ball to the right brings the next Perranwell attack. The ball is lobbed to the back of the box where Jon Blundell latches onto it but his rising volley just whips past the upright.

Penzance break right, Thomas floats a high one in, the keeper punches clear whilst under pressure from Wade Brown, the ball is fired in but goes wide of the post.

Perranwell break left into the box, cross the ball and Scott Kinge sliding in at the near post knocks it wide.

Penzance’s Darren Holsey is booked for a tackle and a bit of dissent.


Perranwell have the first chance of the half. They break right, cross but Jake Harvey following up blast well over the top.

Penzance make a substitution.

Then a couple of minutes later Craig Nicholls in the Penzance goal is called upon to make a couple of great saves. Perranwell break right into the box, fire in at the near post and Nicholls makes a flying finger tip save to flick the ball onto the upright and away. A couple of seconds later the same thing happens but this time he pushes the ball away with a diving save.

Penzance make their 2nd substitution.

Then Perranwell hit Penzance with a double whammy scoring twice in two minutes. A long free kick on the left is fired in. The keeper comes for it, misses and Kinge at the back of the box fires cross goal into the net. To us it looked like a miss timed volley that curled of his boot. 0-2 after 68mins.

Then Perran are lucky to get their third. They break from the back, shoot from 30yds, the ball hits one of their players, who is 10yds off-side, bounces back and TJ Wilson volleys into the net from 25yds. Everyone knows its off-side apart from the ref and linesman so the goal is allowed to stand. 0-3 after 70mins.

Both teams make substitutions and the game starts to peter out. Penzance try a long range shot by Thomas which flies wide but that is about all.


Penzance Man of the Match goes to Ryan Andrew who was brilliant in defence. He had a lot of work to do holding the attack at bay and during the whole ninety minutes never put a foot wrong.

Penzance – Craig Nicholls, Ian Philips, Gary Matthews, Ross Badcock, Ryan Andrew, Charlie Penny, Bradley Wills, Wade Brown, Ashley Thomas, Tom Hosking, Darren Holsey

Subs – Liam Devine (Penny 50), Steve Hancock (Wills 61), Jimmy England (Badcock 85)

Corners – Penzance 2-1 Perranwell (1st half 0-1)

Crowd - 57

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...