Cornwall Football Forum

Are Truro City as good now as St Blazey were when at their best?

To help you out with your debate

Truro City Twice Champions 2006/07 and 2007/08

Best-

FA Cup 1st.Qual.Rd; FA Trophy 1st.Qual.Rd; FA Vase Winners:

St. Blazey Champions 7 times in 9 seasons 1998-2008

Best-

FA Cup 4th.Qual.Rd; FA Trophy 1st.Round Proper; FA Vase 5th.Round

Oh and by the way Falmouth Town Champions 8 consecutive seasons 1970-78

Best-

FA Cup !st.Round Proper(3times); F A Trophy 2nd.Round Proper; FA Vase Quarter Finalists:

Guest The Villa Man

Just wondered if crocks was there then . Have to say I thought the truro side of 92-93 was better than there 06/07 one , thats the beauty of football .

Guest Postie Pidge

FA Cup 1st Round

1962/63 - Falmouth Town 1 - 2 Oxford United

1967/68 - Peterborough United 5 - 2 Falmouth Town

1969/70 - Falmouth Town 1 - 4 Peterborough United

Falmouth may have won 8 championships in a row but 4 were in the old SWL and 4 were in the Western League Premier Division.

Oh how I wish we had a team like back then! Alas, we can't live on the past and Truro are the trailblazers so good luck to them.

Falmouth were obviously a great side but I don't think you can compare football in the 60's to what it's like now. Completely different ball game!!

Blazey had a great side and played the best football I've seen at this level but I think the professional experience of a lot of the City side would prove too much for Blazey. Would be a good game to watch though!!

How would the Falmouth Team of the 60s/70s compare against the current Truro team with the likes of Tony Kellow, Norman Ashe e.t.c? I read somewhere that that the Falmouth team of the 70s were conference/football league standard back then. But only money stopped them carrying on?

Sorry to diverse away from the topic title. No offence intended!

Truro(this season) are the only Cornish club to play higher than the Western League Premier.

Western League Premier

Falmouth Town Champions 4 times

Saltash United Champions 3 times

Liskeard Athletic Champions once

Truro City Champions once

Falmouth were the only Cornish club to win the Western League Championship being unbeaten so it was not until this season that Truro became the highest placed Cornish club.

Guest Postie Pidge

Sadly too many of us are judging our clubs on past successes - Falmouth haven't won a trophy for 6 seasons and even that was the Charity Cup - nice win over Truro though!!

What about Saltash United - quality side in their Western League glory years

You're right there,i watched that Falmouth team week in,week out,and Saltash were always our biggest rivals

You never knew who'd win on the day.

Didn't St. Blazey hold a record for the longest unbeaten run or something,beaten by A.F.C. Wimbledon recently.

I dont think you can compare the teams from the 60s and 70s with the team that Truro has today.The game today is so much faster and the fitness levels are so much higher.I agree Falmouth did have a great team back in the 70s but I dont think their fitness levels would cut it in todays game.

As for St Blazey who can say how good they really were,as they have never ventured to play football in the bigger pond.What a pity as they have had so many chances to do so.

In direct answer to the question : Are Truro City as good now as St Blazey were when at their best?

It has to be yes, and better probably.

Although it's impossible to compare teams from different periods, the standard of football that Truro are playing at now is higher and better and on top of this they are more than holding their own.

Regrettably, we never got the chance to see if St Blazey could have done the same, but I think that although they were the best over a prolonged period that I've personally ever seen in the South Western League, Truro are aspiring to greater heights.

In direct answer to the question : Are Truro City as good now as St Blazey were when at their best?

It has to be yes, and better probably.

Although it's impossible to compare teams from different periods, the standard of football that Truro are playing at now is higher and better and on top of this they are more than holding their own.

Regrettably, we never got the chance to see if St Blazey could have done the same, but I think that although they were the best over a prolonged period that I've personally ever seen in the South Western League, Truro are aspiring to greater heights.

Fair comment. However, bear in mind that when Falmouth Town were at the top of the Western League, there was no Conference, so it was effectively Step 3. That's one higher than Truro, so far...

Good point Town Man

The Conference didn't come into the structure until 1979.

In the early 70's after the four divisions of the Football League came a North/South divide with the Northern Premier League with two divisions and similarly the Southern League.

Under this came the Western League who were alongside the Isthmian (Ryman) League

At one stage during that time Falmouth Town and Yeovil Town were considered the top two Non League clubs in the West of England.

Guest Postie Pidge

Mike, above the Western League Premier was there just the Southern League (with Minehead and Wimbledon) or were there two divisions of it? I'm thinking there was just the one division of it.

How many people knew that Minehead were runners up to Wimbledon in the season they won promotion to the league?

It is always a contentious point when discussing who was better and in what period. We can only look back and admire the teams success at the time they were successful. Times change, standards change, the game becomes faster so comparing like for like is impossible, it would only be guesswork. I suppose you could look at it another way, money made Falmouth successful as it did with St Blazey and Truro City, but then you still had to have the managers who put it all together. I’m afraid it is an impossible choice. Truro or St Blazey, who knows just enjoy the memories when they happened.