Cornwall Football Forum

F A Cup 2009/10

Heard at Bickland today that Falmouth Town will not be featuring in next seasons FA Cup.

Apparently the F A can only guarantee applications from the top 4 of the SWPL (P)

Possible vacancies will only be considered from clubs finishing 5th.to 10th.

This is personally a disappointment to me as I have witnessed most of their ties since 1962 which apart from seasons 1984-88 Falmouth have participated continuously.

St.Blazey must also be aggrieved as they first entered a lot earlier(since 1950) and it will be a diappointment to the clubs which get promoted fron Division 1.

Oh no! What a betrayal from the FA if this is true.

One of the ideas of the joining the national league system was so that step six clubs (SWPL Premier) could compete in FA Vase and FA Cup and step seven clubs (SWPL West) could compete in the FA Vase. Both of these provided facilities are adequate of course.

The FA force the new league system on us and then use it against us!

Where did you hear this from Mike and how reliable is it?

We are still not guaranteed top ten by any means and not being able to compete in the FA Cup would be a real heartbreaker for the genuine fans.

Well if thats true then thats a F@@kin joke. A real money spinner for local clubs if they go through. It will certainly make it less intresting from my point of view.

With money that St Blazey spent on the ground to make sure they can enter the F.A cup, you have to think this is a joke.

The big clubs get bigger, the small clubs get smaller!!! :angry2:

Well if thats true then thats a F@@kin joke. A real money spinner for local clubs if they go through. It will certainly make it less intresting from my point of view.

With money that St Blazey spent on the ground to make sure they can enter the F.A cup, you have to think this is a joke.

The big clubs get bigger, the small clubs get smaller!!! :angry2:

that's right - and money the FA MADE us spend so that we were fit for FA Cup runs. Maybe that money should be returned to us if we do not "qualify".

This is yet another example of a complete lack of consideration for long-standing and reputable Cornish clubs by the FA.

An utter disgrace.

Many thanks Mike for bringing this to our attention.

Dan....totally agree. It was a disgrace that the likes of Newquay, Wadebridge, Penzance etc didnt get to enter the F.A cup when the league were changed from the SW league. This just proves the F.A have no thought about clubs at our level. I no St Blazey will never win the F.A cup but this gives us the chance to see our club at grounds all over the country. Ill be gutted if this is correct and urge people to moan about it to the F.a straight away!!!! :angry2:

Dan....totally agree. It was a disgrace that the likes of Newquay, Wadebridge, Penzance etc didnt get to enter the F.A cup when the league were changed from the SW league. This just proves the F.A have no thought about clubs at our level. I no St Blazey will never win the F.A cup but this gives us the chance to see our club at grounds all over the country. Ill be gutted if this is correct and urge people to moan about it to the F.a straight away!!!! :angry2:

Don't shatter my dreams like that!!

The thing that riles me most about this is that while we were in a "Unofficial" step seven league, not even connected with the national league system, numbers were not restricted - it was done purely on ground grading which is the right way.

This whole new South West Peninsula League is still in its very fragile, early formative years, and decisions like this show that the FA are not exactly encouraging it to work!

I do hope Phil Hiscox is reading this and will make a special case to the FA for St Blazey and Falmouth, both of whom have a long and illustrious history in this competition, the most prestigious club cup competition in the world.

Feel the rage!!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Did I not moan about this for those left behind in SWPL Div 1 West, and now the Prem is made to suffer as well ? The Judge may spout shit from time to time, but in the end he his proved right... we have all been shafted by SWPL and and The FA.

Complain and be ignored, always has been, always will be !

Guest RedDel

I had a letter from the FA and those are the conditions that they have decided to lay down. I quite agree that it is disgusting but there again it just goes to show that their support of grassroots football is just a token gesture.

The F.A have truly thrown a spanner in the works!! All this nonsence about getting grounds up to standard and getting the league right. Utter tosh. Why change history when Clubs Like Falmouth and St Blazey have entered every season for decades. Its something for fans and players to look forward to and to play against teams you probably wont play again. Id like to no whats changed to make this jobs worth of a decision.

Bugger it, Why not say you have to finish in the top 4 of the premiership and go straight to the semis. Saves alot of ball plucking from velvet bags!!! :angry2:

It really is a case of the FA kicking us when we're down.

Crowds are down, the SWPL is undoubtedly a lower standard than the old SWL, and now this.

For clubs like Falmouth, St Blazey and I'm sure a few other Cornish clubs, a decent FA Cup run is one of the few opportunities to draw in new supporters. I myself follow St Blazey as a result of the famous FA Cup run of 1998. I'm sure a lot of Falmouth's support over the past decades originated because of their great FA Cup runs to the first round proper.

Yet again, the FA have completely ignored the fact that some Cornish clubs would be playing at a much higher level if it weren't for our Geography. They cannot tarnish every step 6 league with the same brush. Our facilities at St Blazey would be a credit to any step 4 league, and, dare I say, with the team we had five seasons ago, we would have been near the top of any step four league!

Refusal to give FA Cup access to teams such as St Blazey and Falmouth would be a massive step backwards for football in Cornwall.

With the re-structuring that has now taken place, a lot more teams now play their football at steps 3,4 and 5. I suspect that the FA has a plan to limit FA Cup access to teams below step 5 within a few years. I may be wrong about that, but if true, it would leave Truro City as the only representative from the Duchy.

A disgraceful attitude from the FA.

Kernow bys vykken.

It appears Phil Hiscox is fighting the corner of the SWPL against the F.A. for more clubs in Devon and Cornwall to enter the competition.

This new F.A.directive would possibly have seen only Bodmin from Cornwall and Buckland from Devon as the only SWPL guaranteed entrants and this is the argument placed by the Peninsula League board.

Looking at current league placings In view of the new F.A.Directive;

*1st Bodmin OK

2nd Ivybridge -No lights

3rd.Parkway-Ground doesn't meet F.A.Cup requirements

*4th. Buckland OK.

*5th.Tavistock.OK for any vacancy

6th.Dartmouth can only enter the Vase as its their first application

*7th.Saltash OK for any vacancy

8th.Torpoint can only enter Vase due to first application

*9th.Launceston OK for vacancy

*10th.Cullompton Ok for vacancy as they entered Vase for the first time last season.

*11th.St.Blazey OK but outside top 10

12th.Witheridge No.lights

*13th.Wadebridge Town OK but outside top 10

14th,Clyst dont appear to apply for FA comps.

15th.Newton AS No.lights

*16th.Falmouth OK but well outside the top 10

*17th.Liskeard OK but well outside top 10

18th.Holsworthy dont appear to apply for FA comps. probably due to ground criteria.

19th. Elburton No lights

*That leaves 7 Cornish clubs and 3 Devon clubs who meet the criteria if the SWPL(P) were allowed full entry.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

What does "if there are vacancies" mean ? How is this defined ?

Nice to see other clubs now having a moan... where were you lot when I had a pop ?

So, what changes, if any, have been made to the FA Vase, are us lowly clubs in level 7 allowed to enter ?

As DanBlazey suggests, it's to do with the increased number of Clubs at Step 5 and above. There has to be a maximum limit to the number of entries to allow the Extra Prelim, Prelim & Qualifying Rounds to be completed in time for the 1st Round Proper - the date of which is cast in stone - when the "bigger-boys" start to join in. Hopefully, Phil's efforts will mean a few more Clubs in the Peninsula League will be accepted.

What bloody nonsense the comment that the SWPL is worse than the old SWL. is that why there is only one Cornish team in the top six. I suggest you watch some of the matches.

Crowds are down, the SWPL is undoubtedly a lower standard than the old SWL, and now this.

For clubs like Falmouth, St Blazey and I'm sure a few other Cornish clubs, a decent FA Cup run is one of the few opportunities to draw in new supporters. I myself follow St Blazey as a result of the famous FA Cup run of 1998. I'm sure a lot of Falmouth's support over the past decades originated because of their great FA Cup runs to the first round proper.

Yet again, the FA have completely ignored the fact that some Cornish clubs would be playing at a much higher level if it weren't for our Geography. They cannot tarnish every step 6 league with the same brush. Our facilities at St Blazey would be a credit to any step 4 league, and, dare I say, with the team we had five seasons ago, we would have been near the top of any step four league!

I'm sorry but the reason why you class that the SWPL a lower standard than the old SWL is because blazey are struggling, because of the attitudes of Blazey, Liskeard, Falmouth, Porthleven to name but a few to pay out a load of money to secure the services of the band of footballing mercenary's, you are now reaping the benefits of those actions where as the relatively well run clubs of the old devon league are showing you up, everybody knows that fans will follow a successful side when the side ain't so good the supporters don't come.

Maybe if Blazey had taken the step up when they were dominating the old swl you could be playing at step 4 by now and your FA cup place would be guaranteed. But no you chose to stay in the swl now that the money has gone your playing at your true level.

Well Skippy(any relation to that old TV favourite) anyone who knows anything about the logistics involved in running a club in this County will know that without a wealthy benefactor it would be impossible to sustain football at a level much above level 6.

St Blazey have never had such a person and taking promotion in the past would have been short-lived and stretched the club beyond its resources.

We have a history to be proud of and no doubt will be a force again in the near future, what about your club? :drink:

chairman i fully understand the reasons behind not taking promotion was just pointing out to one of your followers that theres no point bleating on about having the ground good enough for step 4 if the team isn't!

everybody seems to be pointing the finger at CSWPL but its more than likely the same changes would have been made if the SWL was still going, and yes i'm proud of the history of my club and how its ran

If anybody has seen a quality side in the SWPL Premier this season, do let me know.

I have once, and it was St Blazey against Parkway last Wednesday.

Saw dartmouth the other week they play some good football and your right parkway are a good side :P

It has p****d me off a bit that I've been shot down on this thread when I'm trying to fight the corner of Cornish sides!

Small minded people in Cornwall? Yes!

i wouldn't say you've been shot down just that your seeing everything through green coloured spectacles, step back and look at the bigger picture the CSWPL are trying to get extra places just look at it as something for your team to aim for

Probably we are all overlooking the fact that maybe we have been lucky in the past with the F.A.allowing us into their cups and they are now trying to put it right for themselves.

It would appear to be the way it is going and we will probably have to grin and bear it, though we can rely on Phil Hiscox to fight our corner for us.

Or finally go for promotion to the Western League and get used to the extra travelling costs that would involve. Lots of people like to put money into football clubs for various reasons...

Come on Chairman, think big!!

Before anyone shoots me down, I'm fully aware that we are midtable!