Cornwall Football Forum

Mr. Stephens leaves Torpoint

Guest The Villa Man

Guest The Villa Man

I have it on very good authority that Mr.Stephens has resigned at Torpoint and Darren Potter is taking over .

You heard it here first ! :thumbsup:

Guest The Villa Man

Very good - I have spoke to two players who will remain nameless . Both gutted but staying .

From what I can gather there wont be a mass exidos but a few Lakeside lads coming in .

Don't think they need it personally as they've been on a great run

I understand He resigned last night.

Darren Potter was the Tamarside manager. He was due to take over at the end of the season. He should do a good job.

Guest tamarside fc fan

To all Torpoint players and fans i have been asked by Darren Potter to say a few words,he told me he has not been offerd the Torpoint managers job,and he all so said that all torpoint players and fans should be concerning thereselves with what a good job Mr Ian Stephens has done for Torpoint football club on and off the pitch.He must of had good reasons for his decision.He would all so like to wish Stevo the very best in the future.

To back up the press release sent out last night,

Ian, sadly, has stepped down with immediate effect.

No one has been offered the position, now or at the end of the season.

Decisions about how we move forward will be taken next week.

Gary Tiffany (Ian's assistant) will take charge of the team for tommorrows match.

Sorry, just got around to opening my e-mails and this was received at none o'clock this morning:-

Torpoint AFC SWPL Manger

It is with deep regret that as Chairman of Torpoint Athletic Football Club, I have to announce that this evening (Thursday 12th March) I accepted the resignation of Ian Stephens as First Team Manager with immediate effect.

Ian first informed me of his decision to step down after the Senior Cup defeat at St Austell in January, however I asked him to continue until the end of the season, to which he agreed. This was primarily because I felt he deserved the recognition for the massive strides forward this club has taken in past three seasons, and to be in place when the first ever floodlit match took place at The Mill.

Ian’s reasons for this decision are that the pressures of managing his hometown club meant he became too emotionally involved to the point that the enjoyment had gone. To quote Ian, “When you’re not even enjoying winning its time to take a break”.

On behalf of the committee I would like to thank Ian, and the management team he put in place, for three enjoyable years of football at The Mill and for securing the promotion that has moved Torpoint AFC forward. At all times over the past seasons Ian Stephens has been an immense asset to the club and in the long term our loss will be another team’s gain. He goes with our best wishes and hope that his break from the game is not too long.

Assistant Manager Gary Tiffany will prepare and take charge of the team for Saturday’s match at Ivybridge, and the committee will meet next week to plan the immediate future.

PAUL WHITWORTH

CHAIRMAN

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Ian’s reasons for this decision are that the pressures of managing his hometown club meant he became too emotionally involved to the point that the enjoyment had gone. To quote Ian, “When you’re not even enjoying winning its time to take a break”.

PAUL WHITWORTH

CHAIRMAN

Just as well he wasn't Newquay manager 1998-2008, it would have been 1998-1998.

I've gotta be honest, I don't get the reason for quitting. If you love football and especially your home town team, you would do all you can to make it happen. If you are winning and are not happy, then perhaps you don't love football after all !

Keep the faith Paul, keeping an eye on all things Torpoint through the wrong end of a telescope.

Judge, i'm sure any supporters of any of the teams that Ian has played for or managed could not accuse of him of not loving the game, if anything its his love of the game that got him into so much trouble as he was such a passionate player/manager which always meant it was entertaining to watch even if sometimes it was for all the wrong reasons, i'm sure a lot of referees were happy when he stopped playing :D but that wouldn't have lasted long once he started managing :D , i for one will miss having around the club and as i said whatever/wherever he goes next i wish him all the best.

Judge, if anything its his love of the game that got him into so much trouble

Now that I can understand ! But dosn't explain why he quit, I couldn't give up on Newquay... I've been through the low points including Newquays only time having to apply for re-election to the SWL and now that we are winning, well I'd have to be very dead to miss a match.

To all who love Gods wonderful game, keep the faith !

With all due respect Judge, supporting your team avidly through thick and thin or good and bad times is one thing and highly commendable, but im afraid you simply cannot compare the side effects of supporting your chosen team avidly with Managing/Coaching one let alone one that is your home town Club.

When you are as passionate about the game as Stevo is, and anyone who knows him will know just how passionate he is, then the pressures of that position and all that goes with the role and responsibilities, can dramatically effect the levels of enjoyment and satisfaction you get from doing the job.

So I think it is unfair to question any reason Stevo may or may not share with us for quitting, as he is someone who cannot be accused of any form of lacking commitment or love for the game. The role of a committed die hard supporter such as yourself is one thing, but is incomparable to the role and responsibilty of a committed die hard Manager such as Stevo.

Best of luck in all that you do Stevo, just dont leave it too long as SW Football needs good guys like you.

Lafs.

Best of luck in all that you do Stevo, just dont leave it too long as SW Football needs good guys like you.

Paul Smith a few weeks ago, and now Ian - too many characters disappearing from the local game and so I echo Lafs sentiments.

I am glad to say though that he has agreed to come on to my Radio St Austell Bay local football programme later today and so perhaps we'll find out a little more. Tune in between 5 to 7 pm. Via the internet on click here Radio St Austell Bay or if you're in the local St Austell area on 105.6 FM

Lafs, your right mate, I don't know the ins and out of it all, especially management and I take my hat off to all those who do the job.

Paul, chin up mate, keep the faith.

Guest Peppermint

Lafs is quite correct many do not know what a time consuming job that football management entails and the pressure is always on whether your team is winning or losing.

A message for Paul - you have taken your club a long way this season including the floodlights and I am sure you will find a suitable replacement eventually. Well done for what progress you have made at Torpoint and good luck in the future and also the best of luck to Stevo in whatever he does in football and I am sure he will come back at some point in some capacity in the game because football needs people like him.

Guest tafc.-gaffa

Totally gutted to hear this as Stevo is not only a top bloke but in the mould of those old school managers that i grew up playing under. The type you know if you havent given 2000% the changing rooms seem a worse option then 6 months in Athganistan!!!!! That scarey old school manner has always dragged a bit more out of a player even when he has given his all. He will be missed around the club and on a personnel note im gutted cos he has brought that life back into the club.

If i manage to become half the passionate manager he is i would have cracked it.

Good luck Stevo as im sure it wont be long before your back in the thick of it where ever it maybe.

Ian,i was in a similar position 3 years ago,when after taking your local club a long way the enjoyment tended to go and i too finished managing.After being involved in cornish football for over 30 years it did seem strange at first not having to rush around on a saturday.I can recommend going back to playing a bit as your expierience would be invaluable to others especially youngsters coming thru who want to progress .Management is a difficult job and you will come across some people who don,t have a clue and will make you realise what a terrific job you have done, and you may feel you will want to return one day. But good luck and do stay involved and i hope torpoint ask you to stay involved in some way as i know the club means a lot to you and their loss will be greater than yours.

• 2 weeks later...