Cornwall Football Forum

Mullion v Penzance Report

Sorry for the delay but we have the builders in. We are having a brand new kitchen: ceiling, floor, units, etc,and have spent the last couple of days gutting the old one.

Cornwall Combination League

7th March 2009

Mullion 2-10 Penzance Reserves

After 50 seasons and 1650 league games history was made at Clifden Close, Mullion, when the Magpies recorded their highest ever score in the Combination League. Playing their fifth away game in a row they controlled the game from start to finish and even though Mullion scored a couple of goals themselves they couldn’t cope with the Penzance forwards who seemed to score at will.

Luckily a thick fog before the match lifted as an hour before kick-off you couldn’t see across the pitch.

Mullion kick-off playing up the slope and within the first sixty seconds are a goal behind. Penzance nick the ball, come down their right, cross into the centre where Tom Hosking fires the ball low to the keepers right. 0-1 after 1mins.

Mullion are rocked and try to re-group but four minutes later are undone by the best goal of the game. A Penzance throw, on the right, on the half way line is lobbed to Ross Badcock who turns, beats three defenders, runs into the box, jinks past two more and fires in a left foot volley from 15yds. 0-2 after 5mins.

Two minutes later Badcock gets his second from a through ball on the right when he runs onto it, beats two defenders and shoots cross goal into the net. 0-3 after 7mins.

The game settles down for a few minutes with only one chance going begging. A Penzance free kick on the left is kicked cross goal, where Ashley Thomas fires it diagonally towards the back post where Wade Brown slides in but just misses.

Mullions woes are compounded in the 21st minute when Casey Adams is sent off for stamping. Then a few moments later they get their first chance of the match when they work the ball around the edge of the box, fire in low but stand-in keeper Liam Devine dives full length to his right to save.

Just after the half hour Badcock gets his hat-trick. A long ball beats the off-side trap, he runs onto it and from the edge of the box rifles in a low shot. 0-4 after 31mins.

Mullion break from the kick-off working the ball down their left but the cross goal shot skims the back post with the keeper beaten.

Penzance score their next when a ball through the middle sees Brown one-on one with keeper, Ross Brooks. He slips sideways and knocks the ball into the empty net from 10yds out. 0-5 after 38mins.

Penzance make a substitution bringing off Tom Hosking and replacing him with Steve Hancock.

Penzance add their next goal when the get a free kick centre midfield. They take it quickly knocking it through the defence for Badcock who beats the keeper with a low shot. 0-6 after 45+1mins

H-T

The second half carries on as the first. A Penzance free kick 25yds out just left of centre is fired in by Thomas. It deflects off the top of the wall and beats the keeper at the near post. 0-7 after 53mins.

Mullion swap an outfield player for the keeper who is injured and is substituted.

Two minutes later Badcock gets his fifth goal when once again a through ball is Mullion’s undoing and he runs onto it beating Brooks with a low shot. 0-8 after 55mins. A couple of minutes later he is substituted with Jimmy England coming on.

This seems to take the edge off the Penzance attack and Mullion come more into the game. They work the ball left, a through ball to Matt Fox and a cross goal shot puts them on the score sheet. 1-8 after 65mins.

Then the sides share a goal each in the next three minutes. Both teams are guilty of the old proverb “You’re most venerable after you’ve just scored”. Whilst Mullion are still celebrating their goal Penzance break right with England. He lobs a high ball into the box and Brown jumps with the keeper and nods the ball over the line. 1-9 after 67mins.

Now Penzance are guilty of losing concentration. Mullion push the ball through for Chris Ensink who runs into the area and fires low cross goal into the net. 2-9 after 68mins.

Penzance get a couple of free kicks in almost identical positions. 25yds out, just off the corner of the box, both taken by Thomas. The first is deflected off the wall onto the cross bar and away, the second is lobbed over the wall where the keeper makes a great finger tip save to clear away for a corner.

A Mullion player is booked for a tackle and then Penzance bring off an injured Charlie Penny for Alan Spencer-Smith.

Four minutes from time Penzance create history when England works the ball left, cross for Brown, who’s shot is parried only for Thomas to fire the rebound cross goal into the net. 2-10 after 86mins.

F-T

Penzance Man of the Match for the second week runnig is the whole team but we must mention Ross Badcock, five goals in 57mins before his substitution.

Penzance – Liam Devine, Ashley Thomas, Bradley Wills, Tom Hosking, Gary Matthews, Charlie Penny, Darren Holsey, Ross Badcock, Wade Brown, Ian Philips, Ryan Andrew

Subs - Steve Hancock (Hosking 42), Jimmy England (Badcock 57), Alan Spencer -Smith (Penny 84)

Corners – Mullion 4-7 Penzance (1st half 2-1)

Crowd – 36 (9 from Penzance)

I have family in the Penzance area, and during quiet Saturday afternoons I have managed to get out and see a bit of football on 3 or 4 occasions.

I have watched Penzance reserves on 2 seperate occasions now, and, as a reasonably highly qualified coach, think they they play some lovely football at times. Ashley Thomas has impressed in both games, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why he isn't playing a higher level of football. His delivery is superb, and I would imagine, one of the better passers of the ball at this level. I was also very impressed by the other wide player who mainly operates on the left, but his name escapes me, and the left-back (Holland I think his surname was?)

I think Mr Mewton needs to have a closer look at some of these boys before waving a chequebook at a supposed 'star'.

i agree prof and also been impressed with ashley,good performance from ross too ctb, 5 goals in 50+ mins is no mean achievement but if had been me they would have had to drag me from the pitch screaming even if i only had 1 good leg after scoring 5,he could save dad some money then???