Cornwall Football Forum

Refereeing

Guest mcbainthepain

Guest mcbainthepain

Is the quality of refereeing in the duchy leagues getting worse and worse each year?

Give your opinion on both good and bad refereeing performances

Guest tafc.-gaffa

On a whole i think they do a good job but like players they are prone to have a mare but that is football!!!

My hat goes off to them as its a thankless job and im glad they do it else my afternoons would be spent in the pub spending money not enjoying the beautifull game!!!!

Keep it up refs!!!!

I think a few 'big' incidents in last Saturday's Wadebridge v Newton Abbott Spurs game sum up this debate quite well.

Mid way through the first half a Newton Abbott Spurs player committed a pretty awful challenge on a Wadebridge player. Most people at the match acknowledged it wasn't malicious but it was a MISTAKE.

Tony Cloak the referee made a MISTAKE and missed the split second when it occurred and so didn't issue what most expected to be a yellow card.

In the heat of the moment the Wadebridge player, out of character, made a MISTAKE and retaliated and got what was probably a deserved red card.

Later in that half Wadebridge manager Stuart Dudley was sent to the stands for something he shouted at the referee and he himself has since called called regretful. Stuart made a MISTAKE in the heat of the moment.

I made a MISTAKE because I thought Stuart had said something completely different and didn't deserve to be dismissed. I challenged a linesman afterwards but I was wrong.

The Spurs winning goal happened because a Wadebridge player made a MISTAKE and played the ball to an opponent who scored.

Lot of MISTAKES like this happen at every game in every league but, in most cases, it is the referees who get the majority of the flak.

Food for thought?

DID SOMEONE MENTION FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D . lets get off the referees backs and support them.they are there because they love the game as well remember! why should,nt a ref be able to enjoy his saturday afternoon as much as the players??? so lets give them some respect,irrespective of whether we think they are good or bad!!! lets all start tomorrow!!!??? as someone pointed out,we will just drive all the officials away else,and alot of teams and players wont have a game at all at the weekend! 3 cheers for our lovely refs! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :SM_carton:

Guest toaster15

I think refs need a bit more help from the players. It doesn't help ramdomly appealing for every decision, even when you know you're wrong (and cheating). Some teams tend to make a habit of this, mentioning no names nhfc.

One of the worse crimes is cheating club linesmen, now that is really annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

i am a qualified ref, but before i was i'd always argue with the decision always make a ref's life hell! now i see it from the other side of the fence, and hardly ever moan or give them grief when im playing. think if more players took upon the qulification did a few matches they would see the game from the other side of the fence and be more empathetic towards referee's

Guest Rabinowitz_The_Red

i am a qualified ref, but before i was i'd always argue with the decision always make a ref's life hell! now i see it from the other side of the fence, and hardly ever moan or give them grief when im playing. think if more players took upon the qulification did a few matches they would see the game from the other side of the fence and be more empathetic towards referee's

well said :clapper: