Cornwall Football Forum

You can't beat them !!

Have just spent the best part of 3 hours and a near 80 mile round trip attending a personal hearing at County headquarters in St Austell. You think I would know better by now but sometimes you just have to stand up for what you think is right.

No match referee in attendance but the assistant referee who took exception to my comment on the day was there. In tonights hearing he said, and I quote '' in hindsight and knowing what I know now about the incident, Mr Cooper was perfectly right to feel like he did''. No offensive language was used, no agressive behaviour just apparantly the inappropriate use of the phrase ''would you like to borrow my glasses'' resulted in me being sent to the stand on the day.

Compared to what I hear both on and off the pitch week in week out kind of made me question why I was even sat there in the first place but that point obviously got lost somewhere tonight.

I know all 'officials' will just be saying you should have kept your mouth shut but 95% of referees and assistants have received a firm handshake and a well done and thank you from me at the end of the 90 minutes this season. Where then, is the opportunity for managers to have their say about officials that have a poor day at the office? Whenever we do, we are reported, hauled up in front of the FA and in my case tonight found GUILTY (when even the gentleman concerned said I was entitled to feel like I did!!!!!)

Net result, assistant referee will be happy, Cornwall FA better off to the unbelievable tune of £134.80 and me driving home questioning why the hell I manage at this level.

Deep down I know why I manage - because its a fantastic, passionate game, so tomorrow I will start all over again. Tonight has made me feel that if I get done for this case then the game really has gone to the dogs.

Guest keano

Was this the incident down millbrook ????? if it was then this is very harsh for what actually happened !!

that fine is a bit over the top isnt it ??? did you get any sort of touchline ban to go with that as well

Leigh, I have the greatest sympathy with you.

You know, I know and everybody else knows there is very little respect given to officials from some managers/coaches within the league(CSWPL). I will not name them, but we all know them. They get away with "murder".

There is little doubt, there are some officials within the CSWPL who are simply not upto the job. But, I must add, there are some officials who do a first class job and are not given the respect they deserve. I do not acccept that officials should be sworn at. That in my view should be stamped out, with a booking or if persistant a red card.

I witnessed the CLYST ROVERS v SALTASH UNITED game on Saturday. The Referee was so picky. very few of the bookings were warranted. At one point in the game, a Clyst Rovers player "ballooned" the ball over his own goal for a corner. Referee allowed a goal kick. What a decision!!!!

Read my post on CSWPL Forum.

Managers have been sent off more then once this season. It will be interesting to see what punishment they got. But agree, the fine was a bit steep. Every manager is entitled to an opinion and looking after the interest of their players, as long as it is within the law of the game and constructed.

I have to agree, the fine is ridiculous for such a petty comment. When players are getting away with x rated career ending tackles it does make you laugh that referees would rather send people to the stands instead of punishing the 'real' offenders.

Im all for the 'Respect' campaign, but it has to go both ways, there are too many referees in Cornwall who watch too much TV and fancy themselves as the next Collina!!! A good referee shouldnt be noticed, we have too many who want to be the centre of attention week in week out and this is why the FA must make more than Simon Cowell every year!!!

It is definetly annoying the way referee get the easy cards in for dissent and dont 'see' some potentially dangerous tackling. However, I decided after playing St Austell away this season when I called the referee a clown in good jest he unfortunately didnt take it that way and brandished a yellow card and a subsequent £8 fine. I have given up in having a pop from now on and I realised your never going to change their mind and with alot of them you will never be able to educate pork! Some of them dont have alot going on in there lives and they like to feel the 'boss' at least one day of the week. But I will say that the vast majority of the refs are up for a bit of banter and probbaly dont mean to get things wrong.

One thing is though Leigh thank yourself lucky that your not knocking around in the peninsula league west. On saturday both during the short time I was on the pitch against St Austell and then whilst warming our dug-out. Hearing the St austell Lino telling players to f*** off and sticking is fingers up. In full sight and ear shot of the referee. I couldnt imagine its a one off and I find it hard to believe that a county 'official' hasnt witnessed this during the season and done something about it. Selective hearing quite possibly the cause. And the fact that headquaters is a stones through could have something to do with it???

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Leigh, don't give up or even give in to them, it just shows that the b*ggers have won.

So the St Austell Lino has been at it again. I got slated on here when all and sundry from Newquay complained about some of the decisions that went against Newquay at Poltair... perhaps some may see that I only complain when I see games being decided off the pitch, For the record, we lost 3-1 but Newquay could and should have had a draw (definately not a win though, St Austell were stronger on the day) if it were not for the constant raising of the flag whenever Newquay got within 35 yards of the goal. We also had a blatant penalty waved away by the ref that day.

That Gentleman who assists for St Austell is not the only one in this Division who 'favours' his side, but for fear of come back against my club, I won't name them again (have done so previously and hope they have forgotten). luckily, Andrew Whitfield of Newquay has proved to be the most fair of Asst Refs, much to some supporters dismay at times.

We have St Austell away this Sat but fortunately, it is the Chairty Cup and I understand that 3 neutral officials will be present. Will the CCFA appoint 3 officials for the big games that will decide who goes up from 1 West ? I'd hate to think that promotion could be decided by an over enthusiatic flag bearer.

So the St Austell Lino has been at it again. I got slated on here when all and sundry from Newquay complained about some of the decisions that went against Newquay at Poltair... perhaps some may see that I only complain when I see games being decided off the pitch, For the record, we lost 3-1 but Newquay could and should have had a draw (definately not a win though, St Austell were stronger on the day) if it were not for the constant raising of the flag whenever Newquay got within 35 yards of the goal. We also had a blatant penalty waved away by the ref that day.

You still harping on about that? I can't remember the penalty, but I do remember being extremely impressed with the St Austell club lino and incredibly unimpressed by the No. 10 (Scott something if I recall) being continually offside. Must have been at least 10 times. If you took your red & white striped glasses off you would have seen it as well.

And yes, I was slightly favouring Newquay to win that game, as I am related to one of the players involved.

--

Richard

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Merely making the point that more than one club have complained about the St Austell Lino... have heard many more complaints about him on our travels too.

Selective hearing quite possibly the cause. And the fact that headquaters is a stones through could have something to do with it???

Without wishing to defend the CCFA, if they were so biased towards St Austell, i'm sure that Poltair Park would not be in the current state it finds itself in.

Additionally the overdue success would not be so overdue if favours were being dished out.

You should perhaps read a thread about your manager of late, I would suggest his contacts have saved him from a repremand after tapping up players!

Sounds like sour grapes to me, the wheels havent totally come off at Penzance yet but I admit the nuts are loosening. Perhaps you should take a defeat on the chin and get on with it rather than casting aspertions at a club that outperformed your side on the day. In fact I recall a draw at Poltair being flattering to PZ earlier in the season.

I have no axe to grind with anyone but hate sour comments that defer facts or takes the shine off a deserved display, whatever club is involved!

Just wanted to say I appreciate the sentiments and support guys and yes Dane it was the Millbook game.

As a legend of a goal scorer once said ''it's a funny old game'' and after a hard fought 2 0 win against an excellent footballing side in Launceston, football isn't such a bad sport to be involved in! ( sure that could all change on saturday mind!!!)

Message to Cornwall FA though please please please please!!!!! Open up an official line of communication between Managers, Coaches, Officials and Assessors. That way I might not have to visit County Headquarters ever again for such a ridiculous hearing.

I live in hope - cheers.

Trouble is Leigh, whenever you do try to talk to referee's they either go all defensive or simply won't speak to you about certain incidents `because it has to be reported to the appropriate County FA and they will do his talking`. I had one referee a while ago actually say to me, "even when I'm wrong, I'm right". How arrogant is that?

The gap bewteen the officials and players/managers is, it seems, widening. One I saw recently even refused to discuss a certain incident with the team captain even though he was approached the ref in a very polite manner and to my mind, the ref should have at least heard what he wanted to say. :SM_carton_y:

There is supposed to be a Respect Campaign but Respect is and always was a two way thing and this campaign is semmingly dwindling. :SM_carton_y:

It seems no-one can speak to the officials nowadays all except the big linesman at a recent Bodmin game who simply swore at anyone who said anything to him. :SM_carton:

Just wanted to say I appreciate the sentiments and support guys and yes Dane it was the Millbook game.

As a legend of a goal scorer once said ''it's a funny old game'' and after a hard fought 2 0 win against an excellent footballing side in Launceston, football isn't such a bad sport to be involved in! ( sure that could all change on saturday mind!!!)

Message to Cornwall FA though please please please please!!!!! Open up an official line of communication between Managers, Coaches, Officials and Assessors. That way I might not have to visit County Headquarters ever again for such a ridiculous hearing.

I live in hope - cheers.

your right leigh,and your one of the most mild mannered manager i have ever seen,a few years ago i appealed ,the linesman said he didnt see me say any thing but as he was running down the line he recognised my voice,20 odd bodys down the line,the numptes on the panel found me guilty,and a £85 fine,what a joke ,you right mate waste of time appealing there just a load of clowns :clapper: :clapper:

We have also had experiences this season of a particular linesman turning to our dugout and sarcastically saying 'unlucky' when he had disallowed a perfectly good goal, but this type of behaviour seems to go unpunished at the moment!

Incidently Coops, I am still recovering from being hit by that steam train last night right by the dugout. I have taken some serious stick about that off our lads!! Oh the joys of being only 3 foot tall!!!

Credit to your lads last night mate, they dug in until the end and defended extremely well in my opinion, good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers

Dawey

Every sympathy with Leigh Cooper:in all my years watching local football,I have NEVER heard him abuse officials-when he must have felt like it on numerous occasions!

The problem with Referees is that they all know the Laws BUT NOT THE GAME! I am far from being convinced that this applies to Club Assistants.

Hang on there,Leigh.

Every sympathy with Leigh Cooper:in all my years watching local football,I have NEVER heard him abuse officials-when he must have felt like it on numerous occasions!

The problem with Referees is that they all know the Laws BUT NOT THE GAME! I am far from being convinced that this applies to Club Assistants.

Hang on there,Leigh.

???????????