Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay AFC 1 v 0 Vosper NEW Oak Villa

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Vospers turned up at Mount Wise with almost a new side compared to the one beaten 5-0 away earlier in the season, I'm not surprised they have improved recently as they fought for everything for 90 mins.

Newquay composed of a lot of youngsters compared to recent matches, probably had 70-75% of the possession but failed to make it count. Vospers were reduced to the odd break and rarely threatened Matt AF in goal in the first half. However, the Newquay Loyal, having been spoilt with a glut of goals in the past month, were a little concerned that today may be one of those blips that happen now and again. However, the 2nd half saw Newquay really take the match to the visitors and with the wind against them pushed on in search of the the clubhouse end net.

Eventually, Chris Luxton aged 8 and 2ft 2ins climbed above the defence and headed the only goal of the match, to make it 3 goals in 3 games for the former Argyle Youth player. Newquay squandered several chances but that is not to say they had it there own way. Vospers did break on occasions and Matt AF had to pull of 2 miracle saves to keep the score at 1-0. As someone said after the match, if there were such a thing as a comfortable 1-0 win, that was it. Some however, saw it as 3 points gained when a draw was always possible... Vospers can be proud of their performance today, they made the Peppermints fight all the way and with luck may have nicked a point.

Dobwalls at Home Weds 7.30pm, when perhaps Jim will put a full strength side out to claim 2nd spot in the table... it aint over til the fat lady sings, and she hasn't even started to warm up yet !!!

Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Division 1 West Table

P W D L F A Diff Pts

PORTHLEVEN 22 18 1 3 77 29 48 55

PENZANCE 21 15 2 4 73 28 45 47

NEWQUAY 21 15 1 5 61 27 34 46

ST AUSTELL 20 13 6 1 54 24 30 45

PENRYN ATHLETIC 22 12 2 8 46 39 7 38

CALLINGTON TOWN 18 11 3 4 45 25 20 36

DOBWALLS 21 11 3 7 46 27 19 36

FOXHOLE STARS 22 10 6 6 53 40 13 36

TRURO CITY 26 10 5 11 47 60 -13 35

HAYLE 25 9 5 11 55 54 1 32

GODOLPHIN ATLANTIC 21 9 4 8 46 41 5 31

CAMELFORD 24 8 5 11 40 52 -12 29

MOUSEHOLE 24 7 3 14 38 61 -23 24

PLYMSTOCK UNITED 27 5 5 17 38 66 -28 20

WENDRON UNITED 24 5 3 16 25 74 -49 18

MILLBROOK 23 3 2 18 30 81 -51 11

VOSPERS OAK VILLA 23 2 2 19 32 78 -46 8

i would have to say that "the draw was always possible" remark was more appropiate. also the quote of two miracle saves is exaggerated slight, one very good reaction save, that was it really, as there was not much else to do. i feel vospers coped well with your in form striker limiting him to few chances.

on behalf of vospers i would like to say thank you for your comments of there improvement lately

I did let your boys know in the changing room that that was possibly the best performance by an away side this season at MW. Your defence performing and our inability to make the most of our chances, 1-0 was about right but those of us watching were always nervous that a breakaway equaliser was possible.

Not a great game to watch but you did yourselves and your manager proud by never giving up and making a real battle of it... good luck in overhauling Millbrook, we will do our bit by beating them away.

the lads, assisstant gaff, and chairman appreciated the remarks i'm sure, they have come along way since christmas i have been told.

i will make a remark about your captain being marked very tightly unable to make many things happen in the middle of the park. his marker, number 5, is by trade a keeper.

An evenly contested game that could have gone either way at the end. Newquay created far more goalscoring opportunities than Vospers, but the longer the game went on the more likely it looked like Vospers could snatch a point. On another day it could have been 6-3 to Newquay if all chances were taken. Newquays prolific striker was well marshalled by the Vospers defence and was limited to only a few sniffs at goal. Can't believe a hobbit outjumped a giant for the goal, but a well timed leap by Frodo capped a fine performance by the youngster. On a plus side for Vospers they never gave up until the final whistle, always believing they could get something out of the game. A far cry from the squad before Christmas. A very determined effort seeing a squad of 12 travelled to the game. A very hard ground to go and get a result at the best of times, even more so with Newquays fine form of late. Attendance i was told was an "official" 89 Judge!!

Indeed, the attendance was 89, the secreatary asked me how many I had counted as he hadn't done so. All I will say is there were definately less than the Newquay boys deserve.

The club is buzzing, the team flying high, what more can they do to attract folk back into the ground ? I may have to send a request out via the Newquay Voice to appeal to our stayaway fans to get behind the lads in the run in to what will be a very interesting end of season.

Newquay fans have found themselves being in the strange position of expecting goals and wins, yesterday was a reality check for all of us... happy with the 3 points was the verdict and Chris James (Centre-Back) was named MOM by those in the main stand, the first time this year a defender has been picked.

i would have to say that "the draw was always possible" remark was more appropiate. also the quote of two miracle saves is exaggerated slight, one very good reaction save, that was it really, as there was not much else to do. i feel vospers coped well with your in form striker limiting him to few chances.

on behalf of vospers i would like to say thank you for your comments of there improvement lately

exaggerated,thats his middle name,but we at truro have some more names for him but i dont like swearing on this foum :blink:

Must check that birth certificate again...

I do hope that the fans who claim to support your 'club' turn out and watch a reserve game on 6th May, how galling would it be for you to watch Newquay celebrate promotion on your ground ?

Whatever the circumstances, you can be sure that it will be a fun night and some good banter is expected.

You 2 need your heads banging together. For goodness sake can the constant crap floating between both of you ever come to an end?

Just agree to disagree or something.

Otherwise, I will be organising a boxing ring on Easter Monday, for some entertainment between Junior and Senior Cups, money goes to Comic Relief.

:thumbsup:

You 2 need your heads banging together. For goodness sake can the constant crap floating between both of you ever come to an end?

Just agree to disagree or something.

Otherwise, I will be organising a boxing ring on Easter Monday, for some entertainment between Junior and Senior Cups, money goes to Comic Relief.

:thumbsup:

agree with him,they MIGHT get out of a league just below the combo,heee now i see why your nickname is spoil sports,hee :clapper: :c: