Cornwall Football Forum

Tragic loss of Camborne sportsman

I was stunned to hear the sudden death of Tim Pooley aged 58 earlier in the week.

Tim was a prolific goal scorer for many local junior clubs in the 70's and early 80's including -Heathcoats SC; Camborne RBL; Pengegon where he netted 75 in one season; Pool Sports Club and other clubs.

He will be more fondly remembered for his cricketing all rounder performances for Crofty Cricket club where he was a current lifelong stalwart of the club.

In Cornwall League cricket, Tim has taken 100 wickets in a season (Twice) and is one of only 7 players to do so. (He took 116 in 1983 the second best on record)

Deepest sympathies to his family and close friends.

Just heard this news at Camborne Cricket Club , a few stunned faces around tonight .

Played with and against Timmy on both the football and cricket pitches , had some great battles with him , and even more laughs in the bar afterwards .

Great competitor and sporstman who will be missed by all who knew him . :(

Sure he will a great addition as an all rounder for that team up above .

Guest Peppermint

So sorry to hear the sad news. Timmy was a fierce competitor on the field but a true sportsman who loved talking about the game in the bar afterwards.

I remember playing for Helston against South Crofty in an Andrew Cup Final at St Gluvias and Timmy was again in fine form with the bat.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Very sad news indeed.

Such a nice guy as well as a fine sportsman. I don´t ever remember Timmy being even spoken to by a referee, yet alone being booked or sent off. Very much a key player in Pengegon´s successful Mining League winning team of I978-79.

My thoughts are very much with his family at this time.

Team photos of Timmy with Pengegon and Pool Sports Club here

Extremely shocked to hear about Tim's sudden death and my deepest sympathies are with Rosemary and Robert at this time.

I have some great memories of playing with Tim for South Crofty CC, indeed Peppermint, even in the game you refer to. It made me so proud to play in a team which, amongst others, included Tim. You always strived to bring something to the team yourself but in no way could match what players like Tim brought. Tim was a winner and he instilled that in others.

There can be no doubt that Tim was the backbone of South Crofty CC in helping it to achieve the enormous success it did.

R.I.P. Tim

Guest croftycc

I would like to thank you all for your kind words regarding my dad, in such sad times it gives us great strength to know he has left happy memories and such a lasting impact on sports he truly loved. The gap in our lives he has left behind could never have been imagined and speaking for myself playing\watching either sports will never be the same or of have the same appeal. Speaking on behalf of the family I would like to thank you all again.

Robert Pooley

(Proud son).

Guest Peppermint

Well said Robert - you have every right ot be proud of your Dad's achievements on the sporting field. It shows from the postings on here how highly regarded your Father was in the cricket and football world.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Graham Drew [former Helston and Newquay Cricket Clubs].

To all,

Thank you everyone for all your very kind words regarding my youngest bro Timmy, he was indeed a good all round sportsman doing his best on and off the field, he was also a great husband, Dad, grandad and friend, he did indeed take great pride in all his achievements, and he is the most honest, hardworking, kind , caring person you could ever wish to meet, and I for one feel very priviledged to have him as my brother, who I miss so very much words cannot explain, life will never be the same again but he will live on in Robert, his son and Abi and Owen his garandchildren all of whom he loved and doted on. Rosie he will walk with us always in our hearts and memories everyday, I cannot thank you all enough for your very kind words and thoughts on my little bro, I know he will be watching us all and playing too!!!

From

Pauline X

(devoted big Sis) :smiley20:

To Rose Robert and Family

Are thoughts are with you at this sad time he was such a lovely borther and very careing. In are younger days we played football together he was a fantastic fast player.He was a keen sportman and will be sadly miss we will meet again one day . brother clifford :smiley20: