Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay V Millbrook Result

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Robbo 3, Middsy 2, Luxton 1, Millbrook 0.

Judge & Co counted 106 in the ground during the first half, Secretary counted 84, I only had one double scotch before the match, I didn't see the point in getting into a discussion about it. The Millbrook manager commented to me after the match that he wished they had that kind of support after the 35 in the main stand cheered the reds on and there were even some boos when Luxton was taken off straight after he scored.

Fair play to Millbrook, they never gave up and after an unconvincing first half from the Peppermints (2-0) Millbrook must have thought they could have got back into the game, sadly for them the Newquay defence held firm from the few raids the visitors made and then aftger making 3 changes, the home side stepped up another two gears and could have had a few more than the 6 they ended up with.

Millbrook have a few decent players, especially the No' 8 and I have no doubt that with the new signings in the pipeline, they will make a few teams work a lot harder than the Peppermints had to tonight.

Vospers could be in big trouble Saturday if Newquay really turn it on.

An excellent win for Newquay, another cracking contribution from Robbo (he'll be grateful to the assistant who gave a pen when the foul happened somewhere near the half-way line! Slight exaggeration but you get what I mean)

Another entertaining game, great to see some youngsters in the team making an impact...

As the Millbrook Keeper I have conceded quite a few goals this season against various teams!!!

However a lot of the goals have been from our own mistakes or lack of quality....

Newquay were superb tonight and all the goals were through their hard work and ability to play as a team very well (better than any other team we have played against this season)

We were struggling tonight with injuries illness and work committments but we can't take anything away from Newquay they were very good with good support.

Good luck with the promotion chase...

Dan Pen-Collings

Penners who is the no.8 Judge was referring to and who are the players in the pipeline?? I would love to see Millbrook add a bit more quality to their team as i still hold a fondness for my former club.

Fair play for coming on here, least your getting a lot of column inches this season :thumbsup:

Cheers spod....it's been a busy season for me so far!!

Our No 8 was Ben Ferguson who is a quality player especially going forward (didn't get many chances to show that tonight tho)

Not sure about players coming in that's one for the manager but we had a lot of players out this evening who i would class as our better players Si Robinson, Shaun Bonney and Mike Thackery 2 defenders and centre midfielder, hopefully with them back we can improve further but I think even with them in this evening there is no stopping Newquay!!!

Guest keano

I would just like to echo what penners has said , thought newquay were a very good side. Also like to add that the hospitality the club showed us was top notch so thanks to the club as a whole on that one ,

This season for us is all about laying a foundation which we have done !! and hopefully with a good structure at the club from the summer on-wards and some signings to add to the core of the squad we have built this season we will kick on next season ,

again well done to newquay tonight !!!!!! and good luck with your ambitions for promotion!!!!

p.s also good to meet the famous judge as well , :lol:

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

The no' 8 was the Captain but I forget his name, would fit in almost any SWPL side I have seen. Some good youngster who if they stay next season will make a real impact.

Thanks for your kind words keeper, you probably touched the ball more than any of your team-mates tonight. However, we were not at our best, especially in the first half, Robbo is a natural goalscorer, how Garry Marks let him go, I will never know, but bRobbo loves it here at Mount Wise and the team spirit is the best I have ever seen at the club.

Those of us in the main stand thought you were one of the hardest working sides we had played this season, you never gave up and 6-0 whilst fair, didn't reflect the effort put in by your boys. Good luck to you all, look forward to seeing you again on 28th April.

1 Porthleven 21 17 1 3 73 28 45 52

2 Penzance 20 15 2 3 70 24 46 47

3 Newquay 20 14 1 5 60 27 33 43

4 St Austell 19 12 6 1 50 21 29 42

5 Dobwalls 21 11 3 7 46 27 19 36

6 Foxhole 22 10 6 6 53 40 13 36

7 Penryn 21 11 2 8 44 38 6 35

8 Truro 25 10 5 10 47 57 -10 35

9 Callington 17 10 3 4 42 25 17 33

10 Hayle 24 9 5 10 53 49 4 32

11 Godolphin 20 8 4 8 41 39 2 28

12 Camelford 23 7 5 11 38 51 -13 26

13 Mousehole 23 7 3 13 37 59 -22 24

14 Plymstock 26 5 5 16 37 62 -25 20

15 Wendron 23 5 3 15 24 72 -48 18

16 Millbrook 23 3 2 18 30 81 -51 11

17 VospersOV 22 2 2 18 32 77 -45 8

Guest Peppermint

Penners - congratulations on tonight's performance you were superb. Some excellent saves and the whole of Millbrook were a credit to their club.

Keano - well done you were an inspiration to your team and good luck for the rest of the season except when you play Newquay!

Millbrook gave a very spirited performance against a Newquay side that played great football orchestrated by Paul Hampshire and the hat trick by Paul Robertson was pure magic. Great performance by Chris Luxton and a well taken goal and Reserve Team striker Orrin Crowle came on as a second half substitute and looked every inch a Peninsula League player.

Guest keano

Its rare for millbrook to get any positive comments on here.......... so thank you for recognising the efforts the players put in tonight under difficult circumstances !!!

Hopefully we will get more reward for our efforts between now and the end of the season !!!

once again good luck for the rest of your season apart from aprill 28th !!

I too would like to echo the sentiments of both The Judge and Peppermint about our opponents last night. They worked extremely hard and gave us a real battle for 70 minutes. I thought the game had a real nice flow and tempo to it and I believe it was this that made Newquay play so well especially in the last quarter when we kept the ball brilliantly but retained a cutting edge. Robbo scored within 2 minutes of the start quickly reacting after his first shot was blocked to fire home. He scored his second after a great run from Luke Rigby and superb one two with Robbo who fired in at the near post. Chrissy Luxton capped a fine perormance with a great lob from 25 yards. Shaun Middleton scored a hearder from a well delivered cross. Robbo scored his third hat trick in four games when he converted from the penalty spot. Middsy scored his second after a great early cross from debutant Orrin Crowle. If Millbrook play with the same intensity in their remaining games and have a bit more luck, I can see them getting more results like the 1 -1 all draw they achieved against high flying Dobwalls last Saturday. All the best to them for the rest of the season and we look forward to our return fixture later this year.

"Robbo is a natural goalscorer, how Garry Marks let him go, I will never know"

Perhaps Mr.Marks realised that by not wishing to advance his Club,he would have no chance of

keeping this talented stricker.I see Newquay as a perfect move move for him.Let's hope he doesn't

get lured away by rediculous offers.In my humble opinion,Newquay are a CLUB whereas other high rollers

are TEAMS.

Keep it up Peppermints-I have a lot of time for you!

Guest Peppermint

Thank you Adlestrop for those kind words and the Club is indeed buzzing at the moment.

Paul Robertson has certainly had a dream start for the Peppermints but he has also brought to the Club his personality and his bubbly enthusiasm.

Last night, instead of talking about his third hat trick in four games he was enthusing over the great goal scored by the 16 year old new signing Chris Luxton and the performance of Reserve Team striker Orrin Crowle when he came on in the second half.

Under Jim Hilton and Lee Hawkey the team spirit has been excellent and Paul has added to that - the other Paul Hampshire is a real class act but just goes about his business with the minimum of fuss.

We, at Newquay Football Club, are justly proud of our team of virtually local players and wherever they finish in the table they will have had a good season. Newquay, like our neighbours Godolphin Atlantic try and play good football and with the vast improvemnet in the playing surface it makes the task of playing a passing game a little easier.

I think that anybody from the town who comes to Mount Wise gets full value for their admission money - we hope we can attract some more through the gates.