Cornwall Football Forum

senior cup

Congratulations to all concerned at Perranporth for a great achievement in reaching the CSC semi final.

When and who was the last Combo' club to get this far?

In 1997 Nanpean Rovers from the East Cornwall Premier League were beaten finalists after a replay.

Perranporth reached the semis in 2006-2007 season i think it was eventually losing to liskeard at penryn!!

i'm sure most perran fans would happily pay that. i mean, its not every year your team play in the semi final of the senior cup (just ask the newquay fans!) it would just be a real shame for both sets of players if it was confirmed that mount donkey derby was to host the semi. still, suppose they should have some role in senior football. good luck all involved

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Well thats £30 we will take then !

Be nice for you boys to play at a real stadium, with lights, a stand with seats, terraces, a pitch that is not a sand dune and a decent clubhouse where the Chairman dosn't swear at visitors.

Perranwell for the Combo league, leave you lot where you belong, with our reserves !

Guest Good for 30 goals a season!

well done perran. it looks like the judge has a big problem with perran!! all i can think of is that perran beat both of newquays sides!!!! about the pitch and the stands they are just crap as his comments!! o sorry forgot they have lights but only some of them work. its just a same newquay have the judge as a part of thier club!

Guest Peppermint

the Judge does not make the decisions at Newquay and the Donkey Derby does not even take place nowadays.

Sbrugby - it is a shame but I ahve just made a posting on the Main Discussion Board deploring the gutter comments of 'Claire' and pointing out that both Clubs are welcome at Mount Wise for the Semi Final and any fair minded observer of playing surfaces will confirm that Mount Wise is now excellent.

Enjoy you day and the Semi Final without resorting to half truths and making judgements that are completely unfounded.

Please read the posting of 'Claire' who is seriously in need of counselling.

Guest WINNO

CONGRATS TO PERRANPORTH AND ST AUSTELL ON GETTING TO ONE OF THE SEMI FINALS. I THINK MOUNT WISE WILL BE A GREAT VENUE FOR THE TIE. TO BE FAIR TO BOTH CLUBS IT HAS FAR GREATER AND BETTER FACILITIES THAN EITHER OF THEM REGULAR PLAY AT...

Why has Claire been taken off before I've had the chance to read her ? Shame ! She sounds like my kinda gal !

Well done to Perran ! Judge, how much for neutral St Justers to come to the semi-final ? Will you be frying Pilchards at half-time ?

On the historical question, I believe Perranwell have recently been the most successful club in cups including teams from higher leagues. They lost a Charity Cup final a few years ago quite unluckily and both Perranwell and Perranporth went a long way in the Senior Cup recently. Not sure if a Combo side apart from Perranporth has ever made the semi before, but Im happy top be corrected if anybody has info to the contrary ! CTB ??

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I'm sure your connections at CCFA would ensure a red carpet is laid all the way down the A30 for you Isaac, if not, I presume they will set the admission charge and an A4 sheet as a programme.

Love the Pilchards comment, taken in the context that it was meant I have no doubt !

You will be guaranteed a warm welcome at Mount Wise, my good friend Jack has been looking forwarding to meeting you for a while now, I'm sure you appreciate his humour.

Claire was taken out and shot with a silver bullet.

Combo clubs reaching the semis?

Ludgvan back in 1984/85, lost 2-1 to Newquay.

That was in the days of George Anderson (who scored the goal against Newquay), Jonathan Verran, Gareth Warren, Ian Richards, Mike Devine, Dick Stanley and yes of course John Matthews!

Mind you, they never met a SWL club until the semi-final stage!

2nd Rd St Agnes 1, Ludgvan 2

3rd Rd Ludgvan 3, St Dominick 2

4th Rd St Columb 0, Ludgvan 2

Quarter-Final Ludgvan 3, Sticker 2

:D

(R-and -I) has reminded me that Perranporth also reached the CSC Semi Final in 2006/07 losing to Liskeard Athletic 1-0 at Kernick Road Penryn.

To get there-

Prelim.Rd. Home v Biscovey WON 6-1

1st. Round Home v RNAS Culdrose WON 1-0

2nd.Round Away v St.Ives Town WON 1-0

3rd.Round Away v Hayle WON 2-1

4th.Round away v Perranwell WON 1-0

Far from hot under the collar Dave, just fealt you were poo pooing Perranporths achievement. Also, I was interested to know if you had ever played in a Senior Cup Semi-Final as I know you played Senior football in your playing days !! :yahoo:

Far from hot under the collar Dave, just fealt you were poo pooing Perranporths achievement. Also, I was interested to know if you had ever played in a Senior Cup Semi-Final as I know you played Senior football in your playing days !! :yahoo:

Well he did play senior football but you have to be a lucky guy to win the senior cup etc (without the £££ ) And i was there when Perranwell lost the charity cup final vs Porthleven when we were robbed!! (see a certain policeman who used to be a ref who is now with the other Perran in our league!! ) :SM_carton::SM_carton: We may have won it if!!!!!!

Well he did play senior football but you have to be a lucky guy to win the senior cup etc (without the £££ ) And i was there when Perranwell lost the charity cup final vs Porthleven when we were robbed!! (see a certain policeman who used to be a ref who is now with the other Perran in our league!! ) :SM_carton::SM_carton: We may have won it if!!!!!!

But thats life!! good luck to Perranporth in the semi final as it is a compliment to some of ( well the only) the clubs that have beaten them this season!!! :c:

Pretty easy to miss the 'big boys' this year. eight prem teams in senior cup, only 1 remains, 7 knocked out by 'little' boys!

Sorry, but I am struggling to see that the 7 "big boys" were dismissed by "little boys"!

But, who are the "big boys" these days?

You could certainly say Bodmin, but they lost to Truro! (Which actually was a bit of a shock because it was City's Reserve side).

Torpoint also lost to a Division One West SWPL side - St Austell, who also knocked out Wadebridge in the earlier round.

One must give praise and credit to Perranwell for winning 2-1 at Launceston (so 1-0 to the "little boys" - not my words).

St Blazey went out on the controversial surface against St Stephens Borough - possibly the biggest giant-killing act of the competition (2-0 to the "little boys" - not my words)

Penryn (Div One West) accounted for Falmouth and Truro - two good scalps, but not totally unexpected.

And the final Premier Division side - Liskeard. Well they lost to Millbrook, again a surprise, but only one division between them and so again not exactly David v Goliath stuff.

So which "little boys" beat the "big boys"?

Well looking back through the rounds - can anyone really suggest Perranporth beating Callington was one. I suggest that because for those people who actually know the sides, well if you looked at the two, comparing 11 against 11, I would say Perran are the better side anyway.

Butch in goal (one of the best in the county); Ben Goldring, Dean Harris and Ian Gosling have all stepped down to play this season for Perranporth; upfront Kayne Trevaskis and Alex Arquati - pacy, skilful and know where the goal is; and the likes of Justin Miles, Sam Moustrides, Lee Dark and Rob Stapleton all know what it's all about. None of those players would be out of place in a Division One side of the SWPL. Some would hold their own in the Premier Division.

As for Callington, well I have to say that on Saturday's performance - no one worth mentioning! That was the first time I'd seen them this season, but I find it hard to believe (on that one performance) how they are in the top six or seven of their division. Perhaps it was a one off dreary performance, or like I said, Perranporth just had the better players anyway.

Again in the previous round Perranporth got rid of Newquay - but the same principles could be applied as the last paragraph. Although it was probably the result of the round, hardly a major giant killing achievement.

Overall, I'm struggling to find many too many shock results for the whole competition to date. And all I can really see is that it's so far 2-0 to the "little boys"!

Guest Sam Boston

So what's your prediction for the final Dave? And who will be lifting the Cup?

Kempy - I want to dislike you cos you're Peranwell through and through but I just can't - you're a funny guy! ;) The Man Utd badge redeems you a lot too :thumbsup:

Dave, my point is simple, no matter what you may think about which league teams really should be playing in, the fact is that the seven premier league teams were all knocked out by lower league opposition!!!!!

seven premier league teams were all knocked out by lower league opposition

No, certainly cannot dispute that.

As for answering Sam's question and putting my neck on the chopping block once again - Saltash have to start heavy favourites to get to the final again. And I also expect them to beat Penryn.

The other semi is a little harder to call. I haven't yet seen St Austell play this season and so can only go by results to date. On watching Perranporth Saturday, I know first hand that they now fancy there is no reason why they can't go the whole way, however if I had to choose one - it's St Austell!

That's put the kiss of death on them! :ninja:

Shame on you Dave - take a trip to Poltair, the football this year has been excellent.

St.Austell have only lost twice this season - once in the league (89th minute against Porthleven) and once in extra time in the league cup at Bodmin (a game they could well have won).

In the league there may be a few too many draws to claim the title and there's very good sides up there as well in Port, Penzance etc. Town visit Penlee Park this weekend which will be interesting and a tough game to face only 3 days before the semi.

No doubt the Perranporth tie will be hard but us life long St.Austell supporters are all hoping for a first Senior Cup final since 1978 (when our manager was a young Trevor Mewton). If the full squad is fit and play to their potential we'll be ok.

Up the Lilywhites