Cornwall Football Forum

SWPL Results

Actually, it was

Buckland 2 - 1 Falmouth

Neil Slateford rifled home a great drive.

And the scoreline does not do the team justice. After playing the first 45 minutes with only 9 men and winger Richard Kellow playing in goal and saving a penalty, Jason Chapman took over in goal after the break and kept his first clean sheet for Town. Jaimie Thompson had a chance to equalise near the end and justice woud have been done if he had scored as each and every player in a Town shirt can be proud to say thta they were there. It woun't be long, judging by that performance, before the lads get a win.

Keep up the good work!!!

Tom Hunters car broke down at the Callington turn off service station, tried all avenues to get to the game on time including Taxi and hire car. Credit to Charlie who came and picked us up and got us there just before half time else we would have missed the whole game.

And credit must go to you boys who I picked up for being willing to make the journey knowing that at best all you would get is 45 minutes. Jason Chapman in goal kept a clean sheet during the second half, and young "Slates" scored a cracking goal. Sam Hunter did his bit at right back. But let's not forget the nine players who kept the score down to 2 during the first half. Remember, Luke Appelton and Darren Friend normally play in the second team, whilst Ross Bowden plays for the third team in Falmouth/Helston Div. 1. Not a bad effort against Buckland who are second in the league and were at home. I am sure that we are all proud of you, lads.

Good luck on Tuesday against Launceston. Sorry I won't be there to cheer you on, but get a result for me.

Best wishes, Charlie

And credit must go to you boys who I picked up for being willing to make the journey knowing that at best all you would get is 45 minutes. Jason Chapman in goal kept a clean sheet during the second half, and young "Slates" scored a cracking goal. Sam Hunter did his bit at right back. But let's not forget the nine players who kept the score down to 2 during the first half. Remember, Luke Appelton and Darren Friend normally play in the second team, whilst Ross Bowden plays for the third team in Falmouth/Helston Div. 1. Not a bad effort against Buckland who are second in the league and were at home. I am sure that we are all proud of you, lads.

Good luck on Tuesday against Launceston. Sorry I won't be there to cheer you on, but get a result for me.

Best wishes, Charlie

What an amazing saturday afternoon at Newton Abbott for our game against Buckland! The well documented events that led up to us playing the first half with nine men started probably one of the most enjoyable and competitive games I've ever seen at any level.

Kicking off with 9 men against a team second in the league seemed to be a lost cause and when we went 1-0 down in the early stages we all feared the worst. Then conceding a penalty soon afterwards was potentially a disaster until The Independent's "man of the match" Richard Kellow

saved it in style.Sean Flynn marshalled the the lads impeccably from the back and our nine man team remarkably kept the score down to 2-0 until half time.Even then we all felt confident that with a full team in the second half we could get something from the game.

Buckland pushed us but we were strong in the challenge and kept going forwards in search of our first goal.That came from young Neil Slateford who scored one of the goals of the season with a blistering right foot shot which gave their keeper no chance.We threw everything at them and hit the post then the bar in the closing stages but the score stayed at a more than respectable 2-1 to Buckland.

I know the final score went against us but to me as Club Chairman it felt like a victory. I had a fantastic 90 minutes in the dug out but couldn't do that every week as my voice and ticker wouldn't take it!!! I am very proud of each and every one of our players who showed such incredible courage,professionalism and team spirit which money can't buy. Our opponents certainly knew they'd had a hard game! If we could bottle some of that elixir we'd be very rich indeed!

Special thanks must go firstly to our Vice Chairman Charlie Fittus who tore up the A38 then down the A30(and back!) to pick up the stranded 3 players and delivered them to the touchline in time for the 2nd half! Well done Charlie!! Secondly to our support team and fans for travelling so far.And finally Buckland FC who played their part in the afternoon too-they are friendly club with great facilities(but not much grass!) and backroom team. The pizza and chips went down well! We look forward to hosting them on Saturday May 2nd at Bickland Park-preferably with a full team!!

Good luck to the lads on tuesday evening at Launceston. :yahoo::clapper:

Steve Kimberley

Chairman

Falmouth Town AFC

P.S.Even the Ref had a good game!!