Cornwall Football Forum

Goalkeeping Standard

Guest Sport Lover

Guest Sport Lover

Is it any wonder England struggle to find a real quality keepers when Manchester City sign an under21 Faroe Islander instead of giving an English guy a chance!

Its just a publicity stunt, like United buying Dong Fangzou from China few yrs ago. It opens so many cash laden doors in the area. And I hear the Faroe Islands are literally brimming with folks waiting to support a succesful export.

Sorry, yea I agree with you totally. Bit like the Arse(and all top clubs i know, but the Arse are worst than most) buying youngsters from abroad. It just pushes out English young uns.

Q- Fully fit 1st team squad how many would be English? Q- The last time you won a trophy how many Englishmen played regularly? Q- When Arsene Whinger took over at the club how many Englishmen were playing regularly for the club?

Its a fact that that you guys do NOT bring through young ENGLISH talent. I know the game has changed massively over the years but you surely have to admit that!?

If you wish to make your answers to the above wider ranging change the English to British ;)

Q- Fully fit 1st team squad how many would be English? Q- The last time you won a trophy how many Englishmen played regularly? Q- When Arsene Whinger took over at the club how many Englishmen were playing regularly for the club?

Its a fact that that you guys do NOT bring through young ENGLISH talent. I know the game has changed massively over the years but you surely have to admit that!?

If you wish to make your answers to the above wider ranging change the English to British ;)

I agree with midfield, if your good enough, your good enough, regardless of your nationality. The many foreign players in the Premier League help make it the best league in world football and its clubs the best in Europe and every club employs players of many nationalities.

As for England struggling to find a quality keepeer, we are blessed with top keepers, e.g. James, Green, Hart, Robinson, Foster, Carson (at a stretch!), Kirkland, amongst others throughout the football league!

To answer your questions-

A) Not many although more then in recent years, so what?

A) Campbell and Cole

A) When Wenger took over almost everybody playing week in, week out for Arsenal were British. They were also finishing mid-table every season and (aside from a few cup succeses) were miles behind the likes of Utd, Blackburn, Newcastle etc.. Cue Wenger and his foreign legion, 3 titles (including a whole season unbeaten-would an all English side ever do that?), 4 FA Cups and Champions league qualification every season.

Not saying they should all be English or British but Im saying he should trust English talent more. If he and his coaching staff were that good they would be able to bring some through, surely?

Walcott is the only one currently in the regualr squad who would play, if fit. And he is not a youth set up product.

As a fan of the Arsenal would you not prefer to see a few English faces in the side? The foreign product hasnt exactly been working for a few years now has it?

Well there are a few young Brits coming through the ranks at Arsenal that have made the 1st team squad at the moment and have performed very well in the cup competitions. Not a great many admittededly but much more when compared to previous seasons!

In an ideal world it would be great to see meny top English players at the Arsenal who could steer both the club and England to glory but the reality is that young foreign players (in many cases) are both cheaper to purchase and quicker to pick up the technical aspects of Wengers attacking strategy?

Lets be honest, the only ones who looked ample enough were Bentley & Upson (Who of which was a Luton lad).

And Bentleys attitude was enough was enough to ruin his arsenal career when he publically stated that he shud have been in the team ahead of Dennis Bergkamp! - yeah right ugly boy!

Hoyte was poor, although his brother is quality.

Jack Wilshere will be superb, much like Lansbury, Freeman, Frimpong (English)

If you are good enough you will make it.

Oh and just for interests sake, when this homegrown quota kicks in, Fabregas & Bendtner to name but two will be classed as home grown, as they spent their time in the academy.

Guest Sport Lover

Guys we were talking about goalkeepers.

Joe Hart now pushed out for Shay Given. I agree Shay is a better keeper but Joe was doing well for Man City. Ben Foster and other young keepers, maybe they are better off player full time in the championship and then when they are 25/30 move into the Premiership.

My team QPR are just as bad, we dropped Lee Camp England U21 keeper.