Cornwall Football Forum

LIFTON REACH DEVON SENIOR CUP FINAL

Just goes to show again having a pop at Devon Clubs at the first opportunity. Devon Clubs are not bad, Lifton deserve a lot of credit, especially flying the flag for the ECPL, for reaching the Devon Senior Cup Final.

St Dominck knocked out Torpoint in the Cornwall Senior Cup, are Torpoint a BAD SIDE ? St Stephens Borough knocked out St Blazey recently. Are St Blazey a BAD SIDE ?

You have got to give credit where credit is due. Good luck to Lifton in the Final. They have as much right to be in the final as anyone else irrespective of how BAD the opposition.

Just goes to show again having a pop at Devon Clubs at the first opportunity. Devon Clubs are not bad, Lifton deserve a lot of credit, especially flying the flag for the ECPL, for reaching the Devon Senior Cup Final.

St Dominck knocked out Torpoint in the Cornwall Senior Cup, are Torpoint a BAD SIDE ? St Stephens Borough knocked out St Blazey recently. Are St Blazey a BAD SIDE ?

You have got to give credit where credit is due. Good luck to Lifton in the Final. They have as much right to be in the final as anyone else irrespective of how BAD the opposition.

Well, we're not great at the moment!!

YES we are....... I mean NO we're not!!!

Played Lifton 3 times this season and games were only ever won by 1 goal difference. They work hard on the pitch and I'm sure the management work hard off it also. Great credit to them for reaching the final and we all wait to see if they climb the league with their games in hand. Should be interesting.

"Or perhaps how bad Devon football is"

Dave,I don't know if that comment was tongue in cheek,but getting to a County final(albeit in "enemy territory" )is some achievement for a Club relatively new to Senior Football.If I were a Lifton player,I would be none too pleased with your comment:it might well be misconstrued as being demeaning of their efforts.

I'm sure you will wish them well in the final.

Anyone know where it will be played?

Yes completely tongue in cheek Adlestrop, but knowing how serious and to heart everyone takes the postings on this Forum, may I say well done to Lifton to reaching a final and I hope the club or players realised that as a true Cornish football follower, it was too good an opportunity not to comment!

No matter how good or bad, they have obviously needed to win games to get this far and credit therefore due. Let's hope they now go on and win it.

Perhaps put the old brain into gear before you make such a statement in future.

Actually you know something, perhaps I did have my brain in gear when I first made the statement!

Seeing you guys and your Devon football get a bit touchy when we question the standard of some of the Devon-based competitions, I thought I should look a little further into the "Devon Senior Cup".

Now firstly, I think I am right in saying that there is no Senior/Junior status in Devon, hence the title means not a lot! Indeed backed up by Richard's comment further up this post where he points out "Remember, in Devon the "Senior Cup" is the third-tier competition, after the St Lukes Bowl and the Premier Cup." Richard knows a lot more about Devon football than I will ever do and so I have to take his informative words as gospel on the subject.

So in fact, it leads me to thinking are we possibly looking at the equivalent of our Cornwall Junior Cup?

In all this I am not deriding the fact that Lifton have reached a final of a county cup, and to do it they have played a number of rounds, but perhaps I have to repeat myself that the standard may not be that fantastic.

If you look at the clubs they have met so far - the majority come from the Devon & Exeter League Senior Two Division - the third division of that league! Can anyone say that is earth-shattering quality!

I always thought it was second tier, can remember Plymouth Civil Service getting to the Final of the Premier Cup and had to play teams from the old Development League where the likes of Parkway, Vospers, Dartmouth, etc plied their trade. Would have thought they were of a similar standard as the old South West League back then. Didn't Tavistock and Holsworthy play in the Premier Cup as well ?

:thumbsup: Tavi first play st lukes bowl and Tavi seconds played in the Devon Premier cup the senior cup is the next one down again i hope this makes it clearer :drink:

well done Lifton great turn around from last season all the best in the final.

Yes, i played for Plymouth Civil Service when we got to the Devon Premier Cup final as a P+D team. We beat teams from the old Devon league and South Western League on the way to the final. Think it was Willand in the Quarter Final and Parkway in the Semi's or the other way round!! Received a lesson in the final at Plainmoor from Collumpton going down 4-0. Not sure but i think it was the season Willand took promotion to the Western league but don't quote me on that!!

What is this nonsense about the status of Devon cups. Cornwall has the senior cup and the junior cup - heavens knows why. You are saying that the St Lukes is the first tier in Devon and you would be correct. I suppose unlike Cornwall there are so many teams of a much higher standard in Devon including the professional clubs (apart from Truro City in Cornwall) that the St Lukes is the top cup competition. Therefore the Devon Premier cup is actually the equivalent of the Cornwall Senior Cup. The status of clubs who compete in the Devon Senior Cup is dependent on their current league status. Therefore the Devon Senior cup is of a higher standard than the Cornwall Junior Cup. That equivilant I would say is alongside the Devon intermediate cup.

Perhaps that will help. I thing denegrating either county cup competitions is a silly argument.

Discuss

Congratulations to LIfton FC. They Dumped us out at the quarter Final stage 4-2 and were fully deserving of the win. A well drilled side coached by Samo Vernon, which was evident in the last 20 minutes as they seemed to get stronger. Anyone who has endured a pre-season with Samo will know what i mean. As for the Devon Senior Cup being the equivilant of the Cornwall Junior Cup, I've not seen enough football at the Cornwall Junior level but we met some pretty decent sides on our cup run.I'm sure Lifton will agree that to win any trophy after playing so many games will be a massive achievement. Good luck!!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest pups8888888

Congratulations to LIfton FC. They Dumped us out at the quarter Final stage 4-2 and were fully deserving of the win. A well drilled side coached by Samo Vernon, which was evident in the last 20 minutes as they seemed to get stronger. Anyone who has endured a pre-season with Samo will know what i mean. As for the Devon Senior Cup being the equivilant of the Cornwall Junior Cup, I've not seen enough football at the Cornwall Junior level but we met some pretty decent sides on our cup run.I'm sure Lifton will agree that to win any trophy after playing so many games will be a massive achievement. Good luck!!!!

I agree with BobB i also played in this game and Lifton were a very good side. I have won the premier version of the Devon cup with the old P&D Vospers beating Willand and Appledore along the way, but it was so called lower lge opposition that provided the sterner tests. The likes of Sidmouth and even Civil Service in the final were far tougher opposition than the Willand side we beat 5-1 when they were coasting at the top of the then Devon lge.