Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results Thread

Can you post your scores, goal scorers and attendances on this thread please.

Thanks

Cornwall Combination League

21st February 2009 (2:30pm)

HAYLE RESERVES (Lee Patchett, Chris Bullock) 2-2 PENRYN RESERVES (Steve Owen, Adam Pryor)

Att - 30

HELSTON ATHLETIC (Mark Goldsworthy) 1-1 ST IVES TOWN (Simon Carter)

Att - 25

HOLMAN SC (Andy Hill, Carl Paperone, Daniel Jewell, Tarik Kalkan) 4-1 WENDRON CC UNITED RESERVES (Luke Murray)

Att - 12

LUDGVAN (Ashley Matthews 2, Austin Smith, Chris Wallis) 4-4 MULLION (Matt Fox 2, Danny Hickey, Chris Ensink)

Att - 30

NEWQUAY RESERVES (Mitchell Stevens) 1-0 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES

Att - 71

PORTREATH P-P ILLOGAN RBL

ST AGNES (Dan O'Toole) 1-1 PORTHLEVEN RESERVES (Stuart Williams)

Att - 35

ST DAY (Gareth Jones) 1-4 RNAS CULDROSE (Steven Hughes 2, Eric Young, Nick Longstaff)

Att - 25

ST JUST (Tom Mannering 3, Matt Gendell) 4-3 PENZANCE RESERVES (Tom Hosking, Ryan Holland, Steve Hancock)

Att - 92

st days goalscorer was gareth jones.

att: 40ish

ref was poor for both sides. should have given a pen to culdrose in the first half and gave a pen to st day when our player handled it in the box.

will do a report this week.

st day are away/loosing to ludgvan next week. no disrespect to them but they could be in with a chance of their first win of the season.

I don,t like to criticise but i think theres a couple of refs doing combo games that should,nt be.I know junior clubs would probably like them as shortages of refs cause postponements but i feel they should,nt be reffing at senior level anymore.

Today hayle 2 up and ball breaks in box,chris bullock goes 1 on 1 with keeper when suddenly he gets clattered from behind for a blatent pen,ref back on halfway line waves play on,bullock carried off and penryn go up and score.

To add insult to injury he then sees handball in box from halfway line that penryn don,t even appeal for and awards penryn 2nd pen of the afternoon.

No sour grapes as on balance of play i feel penryn played well and deserved their point but next week same problems are going to arise i,m sure :SM_carton_y:

I don,t like to criticise but i think theres a couple of refs doing combo games that should,nt be.I know junior clubs would probably like them as shortages of refs cause postponements but i feel they should,nt be reffing at senior level anymore.

Today hayle 2 up and ball breaks in box,chris bullock goes 1 on 1 with keeper when suddenly he gets clattered from behind for a blatent pen,ref back on halfway line waves play on,bullock carried off and penryn go up and score.

To add insult to injury he then sees handball in box from halfway line that penryn don,t even appeal for and awards penryn 2nd pen of the afternoon.

No sour grapes as on balance of play i feel penryn played well and deserved their point but next week same problems are going to arise i,m sure :SM_carton_y:

i hear that hayle had several 1st team in?

handsome dan....same for both teams today first pen for penryn which was missed was a pen, trip in the box, as for your second goal - obvious handball on the halfway line which started the attack!! fair enough might not of been meant it but arms were up and one was used to control the ball?? ref was just as bad for both teams. and yes an under strengthed penryn side thoroughly deserved a point if not all three against a hayle side with the addition of 6/7 first team players!

Well Larry Marsh did ref a game at Wendron vs a certain team which play on the worst pitch in Cornwall! and i was on the line, he played 13 minutes of stoppage time!! We do have a shortage of refs but i wouldn't say that he was one really!! I do have a sense of humour!! But miss piggy i do miss ! as for Larry the lamb i don't !

Well done to the boys from Perranwell today! as Saltash did play some neat stuff! but were glad to hear the full time whistle!! job done !!! but not as easy!!!! :c:

Come on Kempy, the game needs characters like Larry. I know he refs the entire game from inside the centre circle, but if you're watching the game as a neutral it is highly entertaining!

Who doesn't look at him and think (in your best Brian Blessed accent) GORDON'S ALIVE?!

The mans a legend!

You do get more game for your money ! Do you think time moves more slowly in Larry's world or is he just killing time till opening hours ? He reminds me of the competitor on Dancing On Ice who made no mistakes because he stood still and never moved hios feet.

I think we should start a campaign for him to be given the Combo Cup Final this year ! If not Larry, Jim O'Brien ! It would be a nice way to mark respect for their seniority and all they've done for the game. :D

Well Rodney!! ( or shall we call you Dave!! (see trigger) you do make me smile :D yes Larry is a legend and he is different but when you are watching and as we were 4 -3 up with the milkman starting to make his deliveries! it ain't funny, i was on the line and was indicating that i would miss emmerdale and Larry said that he would add on further time after speaking to me!! :SM_carton:

And there is Jim !! well say no more the suntanned kid :SM_carton_y:

I would take it as a compliment that Larry is so eager to prolong your time together, Kempy. He has never forgiven me since reporting me to the CCFA for failing to teach my wife to answer football queries appropriately on the telephone. He was not aware that she was also the teacher whom he had told a week before, at a Parents' Evening, that she should respect him because he was In Charge of All the Referees. Unfortunately the experience has deepened her hatred of football and reduced her compassion for my lifelong psychological illness, known as obsessive behaviour around St Just AFC.

Next time he comes to Perran, leave a couple of cans of Special Brew in the changing room and he might have a half-time snooze and start the second half after Emmerdale has finished. :D

St Day 1-4 RNAS Culdrose.

This game was a six pointer that was deservedly won by the side who created the best chances and were more clinical in their finishing. In recent weeks it has been the home side who have struggled with form and this was to continue as the visitors maintained their recent good form.

The game kicked off and from the start it is St Day who pile on the pressure with several chances that never really troubled ‘Buster’ in the Culdrose goal. Culdrose start to find their feet and settle into the game after about 20 mins. Will Harvey is put under pressure and opts to play the ball back to St Day’s No1 but scuffs his pass, it doesn’t reach the keeper and the Culdrose striker Eric young get’s the better of the advancing keeper and fires the ball home from 18yds. 3mins later Culdrose double their lead when St Day fail to clear the ball and are caught ball watching when a cross comes in and Nick Longstaff scores with a free header at the far post. Culdrose are awarded a free kick about 25yds out which Devlin fires direct at goal but too high. Culdrose try to catch out the St day defence with a long ball which ‘Spike’ Hughes latches onto but is forced away from goal by Baz Williamson who decides to make a tackle bringing down ‘spike’ in the process, Culdrose appeal for a penalty but the ref waves play on. If you ask most of the people in the ground they would probably say it was a pen and Baz will tell you the same, I was about ten yards away and can tell you it was a stone wall penalty but the one person that thought it wasn’t was the ref. The ref blew for half time and was immediately surrounded by Culdrose players who show descent toward his decision not to award a penalty. This gives the ref no choice but to give a yellow card to the forums very own ‘Shoot The Messenger’ tut tut tut.

H.T 0-2

The second half starts with St Day again piling on the pressure and St Day are rewarded with a penalty which hit St Day striker Lee Duffield on the hand, the ref must have thought it was a Culdrose player as he awards the pen to St Day. Gareth Jones steps up to slide the ball past ‘buster’ brown. Culdrose then capitalised on a defensive error when they let the ball bounce from a long kick and ‘spike’ sneaks in to nod the ball over the stranded keeper. ‘spike got the final goal when some good work on the wing and a slide rule pass left him with just the keeper to beat which he did with ease.

St Day are in freefall and with the committee voicing their concerns in public it is showing no sign of turning around. I can understand their frustrations but to shout abuse at you own players is out of order, if they are not careful the players may choose to play their football elsewhere, like some of last year’s squad who left for similar reasons. Could there be one person to blame or is it several. Whatever happens in the next few weeks could see a dramatic change at St Day. All this is a far cry from the glory days only a couple of years ago when they won a hatful of trophies and a league title. Still the motto goes on, ‘Once a saint always a saint ‘

Newquay 1-0 Falmouth

Mitchell Stevens (1) (dubious goals panel verdict)

After meeting four times last season, Newquay met Falmouth for this first time on a sunny afternoon at Mount Wise.

The encounter was heavily influenced by a chaotic opening few minutes that saw Newquay take the lead direct from a corner and Falmouth lose two players to hamstring injuries. A falmouth defender pulled up after Orrin Crowle, returning from County Youth duty, stretched the falmouth back-line with his pace after a long ball from Matt Davis. Pressure from Josh Harris in the opening minute resulted in a corner on the right. Mitch Stevens drove the ball goalwards and everybody watched on as the goalkeeper seemed slow to react and pushed the ball into his own new to give Newquay an immediate advantage. Within minutes both Falmouth players left the field of play and the two travelling substitutes were called into action.

The first half was a scrappy affair, a large proportion of possession was held in the midfield area with both teams unable to capitalise on opportunities going forward. Youngster Lewis Burgin, making only his second start due to Shaun Lawrence remaining absent with injury, looked comfortable in the Newquay midfield and Lee Hazeldine was lucky to stay on the pitch after reacting angrily to a poor challenge. Falmouth were clearly suffering the consequences of having to replace players so early on. Despite attempts from Orrin Crowle and Jay Tipton, Newquay were unable to extend their lead, although they did have James Merrikin to thank for turning a close range header over the bar.

The second half proved to be more of the same, although Falmouth appeared to have equalised when a lofted ball to the far post cleared Merrikin, hit the defended, ricocheting off the crossbar and onto the post, back along the goal-line and Merrikin cleared the ball from the top corner when the ball seemed destined for the net. Many felt that the ball had crossed the line, however, the referee waved play on and the ball was cleared.

Despite further opportunities, including a header from Jay Tipton that flashed just wide with the 'keeper beaten and some excellent attacking play from Josh Harris, the game continued to centre around the midfield battle. Steve Kellow found a great deal of space on the left wing and almost got Falmouth back into the game, turning the defender twice only to strike over when well placed to score. Matt Davis tested the Falmouth 'keeper with a left-foot free-kick from 25 yards, yet clear cut chances were hard to come by. In the dying minutes a clash in the centre-circle resulted in a large number of players becoming involved in what was nothing more than a 'handbags' incident and peace was restored by the referee who only issued one yellow card.

Falmouth had one last chance and pumped a long ball into the Newquay box that came to nothing. Newquay were very relieved to take all three points after a poor showing and will look to make a significant improvement when travelling away to high-flying Illogan on Saturday.

Man of the Match - Matt Darwent

Attendance 71.

Clash of handbags in the centre circle, Michael ! Falmouth players being stretchered off right, left and centre ! You''ve obviously learned from your trip to Lafrowda. Seven Tinners home wins and one draw in the eight games surrounding your 2-1 makes it an exceptional result ! But we do have the Perrans and Illogan to come for tea and woad in due course.....

Trust the heat of battle hasn't reduced the aesthetic standards of the Newquay squad in any way ?

"Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty, that is all

Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know !"

John Keats, "Ode On a Grecian Urn".

Is this the point that I should say, 'as the referee's assistant on the near side I failed to see what occurred in front of my very eyes?!'

In fact, I saw everything, four players going in for the ball, four bodies on the ground, a Gucci was thrown at a Louis Vuitton yielding Newquay player and the Falmouth goalkeeper ran a very long way to enquire to whether it was in fact a limited edition Prada. He was politely told that in fact it wasn't, it was a slight second that had been collected from Par market the Thursday before (no returns allowed). The referee issued a yellow card to a Falmouth player as he said that it complimented the amber and black attire. Honestly, there was nothing more to it than that Isaac.

Newquay are making a habit out of churning out decent results in the league recently, perhaps both Newquay and St Just could have an influence on where the tin pot goes this season?

As for aesthetic qualities, apart from one black eye from a stray elbow when attempting to get the manbag strap over his shoulder, thankfully the good looks and charm have not suffered too badly, it wasn't bad given that Newquay/Falmouth games are usually fiesty encounters, which I beleive dates back to 1864 and Messrs. Ball and Barker et al!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I must be going soft in my old age, even I felt for the poor Falmouth lads and dashed off the the clubhouse to get them some ice... obvioulsy I made sure there was enough left for the many double scotch & cokes I downed later, some quality singing that night, mainly directed at the lads from up the road who popped to in for Middsys bash.

As Shoot the Messanger said a cracking write up Bob. St Day deserved a great deal of praise in the way you came out second half until the third goal settled it.

There seemed to be a certain amount of unrest down there which I sincerely hope gets sorted soon, especially as it is your anniversary season I believe. Hopefully the Club can focus on hosting the final and turn the corner.

All refs can make errors!......Glen Johnson is aware of that. Play up Pompey!

alright deano penryn had no ollie moody and dave blizzard who were with the firsts, andrew heard started and played well jason started and had a good 70 and scrubby came on and did well for the last twenty or so! knowlesy was out on the right, you wouldn't believe some of the turns he pulled out the bag it was like watching ronaldo!!