Cornwall Football Forum

Penryn

Guest footynut

Guest footynut

i have watched penryn on several occassions this season & they have impressed me recently. In particular there striker shaughnessy, who is very tricky suprised a bigger club have not looked at him falmouth for instance. Also Dale Band has been excellent

WATCHED PENRYN A FEW TIMES MYSELF THIS SEASON. SHAUGNESSY TIDY PLAYER BUT FAR TO GREADY NOT IN THE SAME BRACKET AS DALE BAND HE IS STILL A CLASS ACT AS HE ALWAYS HAS BEEN.

ANOTHER PLAYER WHOM I FEEL MAKES THE WHOLE SIDE LOOK BETTER WHEN HE PLAYS IS STEVE JEWELL. STILL GOT IT AT THIS LEVEL COMPOSED ON THE BALL READS THE GAME WELL AND ORGANISES.

Guest footynut

Jewell is good when he does play your right as for shaughnessy he is a top player involved in everything they do going forward, i hear he has played at a very good level

band is good he can be greedy also arent all good players

i am another person to agree with you all about shaughnessey. he has great skill on the ball but can be greedy. bandy is in a class of his own but there are more players of penryn. the two centre backs davies and davis are rock solid in the back. another player that has caught my eye is pete mclean. he has tremendous gift running up the line with the ball and has the skill to take it down the pitch past 4 orr 5 players and score. an example of this was when he done the same against dobwalls. the whole team is made up of players with there own special talent

Several of the current Penryn squad played for Wendron last year which I believe qualify me to comment on their those players in their current squad

Pete Maclean was a great find for us last year and over the season developed into a player who has the capability of easily slotting into a SWPL Premier side and still be one of the better players.

Pat Shaugnessy played as a contract player for Telford in a league above that which Truro City 1st team play and is much younger than he looks (Sorry Pat)(close up you can see you aint old lol). A quality player who has the capability to take any side in this and the Premier league apart.

Sean Johnstone - through work - could only play every other game last year so consequently never showed fully what he is capable of over the full season - this year he has the benefit of playing every week and has showed what a good player he is - can play anywhere on the right - and has pace to spare.

Matt McIlroy (Nephew of Pat Shaugnessy) Just turned 18 and has a great eye for goal - Will also be very comfortable in a SWPL Premier side in years to come - When firing on all cylinders can be awesome - but can suffer from inconsistency of youth.

Greg Hobbs - Of all of the ex Wendron players - The move has benefited Greg the most - a technically gifted player he sometimes let himself and the team down with Friday evening jaunts - I am delighted for him that he is finding the net on a regular basis I always believed he has the capability to score goals at this level allied with the fact he is a good footballer.

I am delighted that these lads are playing well and we can all see that with these and the other players in Steve and Carls side Penryn are enjoying a very good second half of the season.

My only disappointment is that they are doing it for Penryn and not Wendron. - But hey thats football.

Guest Cowkicker

I`d say footynut was Pat or Matt, looking at this, and other posts. Self love. That or they got a stalker on here.

Wendron seem to have had the heart ripped out of them by other clubs this season. Why the sudden loss of so many players Silverfox. I know you guys dont pay but surely you never lost nearly enough players to field a side just for a couple of quid a game.

There wasnt just one particular reason Cowkicker.

And as per paying player - well the club has a long term general plan so all the money the club has gets ploughed back into the infrastructure. What we are however is a club that gives opportunities to young players to play at a higher level and hence in the "shop window"- earlier than they would at a club that offers "financial support"

5 years ago Wendron football club didnt exist. Just look at the facilities we have now - and although we may not be at the top of our leagues - we are in them -

so from nothing 25 years ago to a club that fields 5 mens teams - SWPL West division, Jollys Combination, FHL 2 and 3 and a Mining 3 team - so if thats not a success I dont know what is - but the plan is very much long term and there are many projects that will not come to fruition for many years.

We are blessed with some very hard working committee members who are preparing a tremendous legacy for future Wendron players

I acknowledge that currently we are not "Winning" trophy's - but in the future we will be offering players the best facilities any club can offer and consequently believe that success on the field will follow

I do not wish to comment on any other clubs - but some teams have chosen to follow diffent routes to success - that is their choice not ours

to be fair to the guys mentioned by silverdogfox the majority of them gave the dron many years of loyalty at youth and senior level. at the end of the day everyone wants to improve themselves and they had the opportunity to do so at penryn, three good cup runs and steady form in the league is improvement to battling relegation at the dron. speaking personally i bear no grudge, am in touch with them all regularly and would welcome them back any time to wendron, unless i leave first!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Guest Cowkicker

I commend you on your efforts and philosophy of what you are/have achieved at Wendron, but on reading your reply, i wonder whether your quote of players putting themselves in the "shop window" is good for your club or any other. Surely, if you are a club that puts all its money back into the infrustructure and thrive on developing youth, you are not benefitting from this by letting other clubs poach them when they become old enough. These other clubs are benefitting from your hard work of developing youth and not yourselves.

I can only imagine how successful yours and other clubs would be if you had the talant that you have developed from a young age playing for you now.

Other clubs without such a youth policy as yours must be rubbing their hands together. Thinking out loud, could you not contract these such players, (obviously not youngsters, but over 16s) to keep hold of them or to return a little of the money you have spent on them over the years. Interested to hear others veiws on this idea. Would it be breaking any laws/rules.

From time to time there will be clubs that get a good nucleus of young players together that inevitably move on for all sorts of reasons - not just to better themselves playing wise, but also because of money, personal situations whatever. That's football - look at Illogan a few years back now admittedly, but still the same situation, where eventually the players moves on, thankfully mostly to better themselves.

However, back to the present - Do you think more players would have stayed at Wendron if travelling costs were covered?

Guest superstar

hey cowkicker this is shaughnessy after being told about your comment by friends i would like to put the record straight that footynut is not me or matt i have more important things to do than write about myself you idiot!

i dont know who footynut is but he obviously knows his stuff where footballs concerned haha

as for the wendron situation i did them a favour after a broken leg & enjoyed my time there & met some good people but was always gonna move on when i was fit

Guest Cowkicker

Apoligies if i`m incorrect, it was just an observation. A bit like noticing that yourself and footynut use "&" instead of "and".

Dave, how do you suggest a club looks after its interests, financially and player wise, when other clubs are just willing sit back and reap the rewards of others hard work and money. Would it be unreasonable to contract these products of youth like pro clubs.

And when do clubs like this become the poachers. At some point these bigger, sometimes higher league clubs would have had to fight to keep good players themselves when they were the lower league club to get where they are now, or was it money all the way up through the leagues.

Guest Postie Pidge

5 years ago Wendron football club didnt exist

They did, albeit in Combination football having made the step up from Falmouth-Helston League in 1998 or 1999.

Yes I agree wendron have a very good youth system. The Sharon Wood tournament is a great day out for many young footballers from all over Cornwall.

But it should also be noted that Penryn also have a very sucssesful and well run youth system, Falmouth united is the youth side of Penryn athletic - Running teams from toddlers to u16's for many years. Unfortunately, for any large youth system it would be unrealistic to hold onto all thier players, for many reasons players move on and become part of our football community.

Falmouth united`s u16's team from last season are spred over several local teams , four players doing very well for Perranwell second team , the keeper having a good first season for Constantine, most importantly for the youth system many learning their footy trade at Penryn Athletic's four teams including 3 16/17 year old regulars in the first team. Players will always join clubs like Penryn - what is also clear is that the club also grow their own players. :c:

The Penryn youth set up is a relatively new phenomenum dgllfan

until 2003 Falmouth united had no connections at all with Penryn - and please correct me if I am wrong but probably they wouldnt have had unless Penryn in an attempt to access any of the various funding sources required a youth set up - hence the ready made set of Falmouth united

Clubs were prohibited from doing so - or at least it was far more difficult to access funding unless they had a youth set up and / or ladies teams

Please let all be aware I am in no way critisising Penryn FC as if I was in their position have done exactly the same - Goodness knows its difficult enough to keep teams going now so anything that helps is good

However just wanted to point out that the "Penryn" youth set up is still in its infancy

Guest Cowkicker

mmmm, so to get sports/Lotto funding, get yourself a youth team on board and hey presto. Even if that team is from the next town.

Like to hear your veiws on this footynut? :P

Cowkicker, show me a club where the adult section funds the junior section anywhere in this country and I'll show my backside!!!!!

Unfortunately kids football is used as a cash cow up and down the country as parents are willing to spend almost anything to keep there little cherubs happy and kids/female teams are a pre-requisite of most funding routes ie sport england and national lottery.

Wendrons set up is superb and I am involved in the under 6, 7, 8 and 9 age groups which only charge £30 for a season joining fee which is superb value for money and hopefully opens the door to a greater number of kids which in turn should lead to more kids going on to play for one of the adult teams. But in reality there is no financial investment from the adult teams and most of the organising etc is done by parents who have no affiliation or links to the adult teams. Funnily enough the only two senior players that I am aware of giving up time to get involved in coaching the kids at Wendron in the last 2 years are Matt Mcilroy and Pat Shaughnessy. Pat Shaughnessy still gives up his Saturday mornings to coach 4 age groups for Wendron for free and as he is a level 3 coach I would suggest that he is putting more in to the club and its footballing future than most of the adult players put together!!

Peter Thorn is active throughout the club and has achieved a huge amount for Wendron but I dont think he gets as upset as most people on this forum about players moving on as he realises that people do just,move on. Peter and a handfull of others do an awful lot for all ages at the club but a few cannot achieve the eutopia of people playing for one club forever, for this to be realised there needs to be a hell of a lot more involvement from adult players etc in the development and coaching of youth players at Wendron.

Matt is my son and left Wendron for a specific reason that Peter Thorn and Steve were aware of and totally supportive of, Pat is my brother in law and left as was always his intention after returning from injury and the other players who moved on did so for all different reasons of their own.

So in real terms, adopting a kids club is a sure fire way to get additional funding and if clubs are not switched on to that they will suffer. I would love to see free access to football for all children and see adult teams paying to support the future of the game but that is not going to happen although due to Wendrons very low joining fee it is as close as you will probably get.

On the subject of Pat Shaughnessy being quality? I would have to dissagree! Matt is a much better striker and he is better looking aswell..........plus he's not Ginge although he too wears boots that match the colour of his hair....

Guest Cowkicker

Thanks for the offer Ian.

If, what you say is the case. That clubs are gaining sports funding due to the fact that they have youth set up`s at their club, and are not passing these benefits onto the children, then they should be ashamed that they are making money off the back of these kids.

"Most of the organising etc is done by parents". How about senior players turning up on a saturday or sunday morning occassionally, and helping the likes of Ian and Pat at your respective clubs. It may not be like meeting premiership players but im sure the kids would like it. Particularly if your picking up a bit of money to play or if your a parent yourself. And im sure these coaches would appreciate a little support, even if its just setting up grids and goals etc. Kids react well to role models.

I never once questioned Pats football ability, only tongue in cheek about him starting the post about himself. Although, i will say he is a far better coach than he is a player. You can have all the badges in the world but it takes a natural to be as good as he is with coaching kids.

Matt, as he gets older will without doubt, be a better player than Pat i agree.

This post shouldn't turn into an arguement about whether Penryn or Wendron have the best youth set up.

Both have excellent youth sections, but of course some players will move between the clubs and to other clubs as they get older.

For example there has been alot of talk on here about Matt McIlroy moving from Wendron to Penryn, but Wendrons best youth striker is Luke Murray who was with Falmouth United from 6-15. As were other promising players like Sam Li and Dan Tellam previously.

Its just what happens - players move around at youth and adult level.

As for Penryn, they integrate the youth players into their adult squads excellently and there is a real exit route into adult football at Penryn for the youth of Falmouth United.

Guest superstar

ian totally not needed comments i feel with regards to myself> i would like to know who cowkicker is myself? i have an idea tho as for matt being better than me when he is older dont talk nonsense at 18 i was playing a far higher standard than he is now & not in no soft cornish league i may add, where the real football is played up north!!

COWKICKER JUST TO LET YOU KNOW THAT PENRYN HAVE RECEIVED ABSOLUTELY NO FUNDING SINCE JOINING WITH FAL UNITED .THE REASON WAS FOR THE KIDS TO PROGRESS INTO ADULTS FOOTBALL AND TO GIVE FAL UTD A BASE .AS FOR THE MONEY SITUATION THE MONEY RAISED BY FAL UTD STAYS WITH FAL UTD AS THEY AND PENRYN HAVE SEPARATE COMMITEES TREASURERS ETC SO WE DO NOT USE THEIR MONEY AS SUGGESTED . SO YOU NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE YOU START CASTING ASPERTIONS .

No aspertions cast on my behalf other than Matt is without doubt better looking than Pat, as for your comments Patrick I am sure we can discuss further on a one to one basis.

I dont want people to take what I said out of context! Just pointing out to cowkicker that trying to contract kids to a football club would go against the spirit of the game and that in most, not all cases, kids football brings in more funding and revenue than adult football anyway.

As with Penryn, Wendron have completely seperate commitee and treasurer etc to ensure the money is re-invested in the children and the facilities afforded to them.

It just frustrates me that a lot of threads always end up discussing Wendron and the fact that people leave etc and that it must be down to them not paying players. Due to the amount of money paid in expenses to players (with a few exceptions) I really cannot see that it is the deciding factor for most players. I may be wrong but judging by the abscence of Bentley's in the car parks at most matches I can only assume this to be the case.....

People need to look further than whether or not a club pays expenses and realise that people want to play at certain clubs for all different reasons, Like Scoffy said a few good cup runs etc demonstrates Penryn's ambition in just the same way that what Wendron have achieved in 25 years does.

Let people enjoy their football and achieve their asspirations/fulfill their potential without type casting them or accusing them of a lack of loyalty.

Guest superstar

you do chat some plop ian haha rewind urself i was at winsford, curzon ashton & salford so get ur facts straight, when he has played at the level i has then come & speak to me until then save it!

& tully u r getting very brave sat at ur computer!!

you do chat some plop ian haha rewind urself i was at winsford, curzon ashton & salford so get ur facts straight, when he has played at the level i has then come & speak to me until then save it!

& tully u r getting very brave sat at ur computer!!

Haha yeah i know mate, but i've seen your technique in action, crashed and burned remember? Good effort though. will have to sort out another piss up with seany pal :drink:

Pottsy, you are so right mate.

Gets everything from me, the original fox in the box or is it rhino in the middle? I can never remeber..

I have just had an e-mail for the level one course and the date is the 9th March not the 16th?? Have you had one yet?

See you Saturday.......