Cornwall Football Forum

Question for refs?

During yesterdays ECPL game a goal kick was taken by an outfield player and played to the keeper outside of the area, the keeper then brought the ball back into the area and picked it up, the referee awarded an indirect free kick but admitted to the keeper at half time that he was not sure if he was right or wrong! I personally think he was wrong to give the free kick. Would appreciate it if anyone could give me a definate ruling on this.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Sounds like a pass to the keeper who in turn, according to the laws of the game, cannot pick the ball up.

Shouldn't make any difference if it is the traditional back pass as we know it or this scenario, the keeper cannot pick the ball up if it has been passed to him.

Guest Cornishdave1980

Taken from the FA LOAF

An In-Direct free kick is awarded when the goalkeeper touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate

Nice and simple, well done to the ref for getting it correct as he can be difficult to dertimine the correct restart when something out of the normal happens very quickly during a game. I wouldn't have let on though that he wasn't sure, but hey.

I have a question -

LOAF LAW 1 FIELD OF PLAY

The Penalty Area

Two lines are drawn at right angles to the goal line, 16.5 m (18 yds) from the inside of each goalpost. These lines extend into the fi eld of play for a distance of 16.5 m (18 yds) and are joined by a line drawn parallel with the goal line. The area bounded by these lines and the goal line is the penalty area.

Within each penalty area, a penalty mark is made 11 m (12 yds) from the midpoint between the goalposts and equidistant to them.

An arc of a circle with a radius of 9.15 m (10 yds) from the centre of each penalty mark is drawn outside the penalty area.

If a tackle is made actually on the 18 yard line by the defender on a opposition forward. Is the line counted as inside the box?

Hi Richard, the line marking the penalty area is considered to be the penalty area so any tackle on that line is considered to be in the penalty area. The arc marked at 10yds from the penalty spot is just an encroachment area to ensure players are at the correct distance from the ball at a penalty kick, ( not including the kicker ).

During yesterdays ECPL game a goal kick was taken by an outfield player and played to the keeper outside of the area, the keeper then brought the ball back into the area and picked it up, the referee awarded an indirect free kick but admitted to the keeper at half time that he was not sure if he was right or wrong! I personally think he was wrong to give the free kick. Would appreciate it if anyone could give me a definate ruling on this.

We told you on Saturday night that the ref was right, you would think a man of your age would have known better ha ha ha. :P