Cornwall Football Forum

loads of questions

I'm about to try to get a book of Cornish football photographs published. For the past couple of years, every other weekend, whenever my Argyle season ticket allows, I've been schlepping around the county snapping local games.

I need to write a blurb to the publishers about the idea behind the book. I can talk for hours about the 'romance' of a muddy Carharrack-St Day derby (not that I've seen one - Carharrack-Troon was scary enough), and the way the brutal thud of a centre half clattering into a number ten is the same from Nanpean to the San Siro, etc, etc, and forgive my ignorance but I've got a few questions -

- What's the deal with payments to players? What sort of figures are we talking, and how far down the leagues are 'expenses' covered?

- Has anyone got any figures for the average/ aggregate attendance for any Cornish team, or a rough guess at how many turn out across the county?

- How do these attendances compare to those for rugby matches?

Any help appreciated (and I promise I'll try to sort out prints, Rich, honest).

Guest Sam Boston

- What's the deal with payments to players? What sort of figures are we talking, and how far down the leagues are 'expenses' covered?

I don't think you'll ever get a straight answer to that one rougvie

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

There are some clubs in the Combo league with budgets bigger than SWPL Prem and others whose players probably pay subs to the club concerned.

I doubt if any of the lower leagues dish out 'expenses' as they tend to be village sides where a sense of community still exists, players putting up & taking down nets, washing their own kits, using the clubhouse/local pub on a regular basis etc.

If I were doing a book on grounds and clubs, I wouldn't go near the 'money' question for each club, just mention it in the opening chapter that some clubs do pay and that it is almost unique in UK football for clubs at level 7/8 actually pay players.