Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Youth v Guernsey Youth at St.Blazey FC.

Guest Peppermint

Well done to Tommy Matthews and his team - nice to see two Newquay players in the squad. I understand Aaron Bicknell was awarded his County Cap - throughly deserved and he is one young player who improves with every match for the Peppermints.

I am sure David Bray will post a report later.

Thanks for your good wishes but I'm afraid we weren't so good on Saturday, a great game for the neutral but not for Rossi and myself.

Give credit to Guernsey for a gallant display but if it were not for Richard Pennington (who also got his cap along with Rob Rosevear) we could have been 3 down before we actually got going.

We never really got into our stride and although we won, we all know that it wasn't one of our bettter displays, however, the result went our way for a change and after the game we all recognised we learnt a lot and look forward to Wiltshire away next month.

Billy Hopcroft got 2 goals and Ollie Brokenshire the other for us. We had our share of chances and the score could have been 8-7 either way!

Thanks again to St.Blazey for a great playing surface and excellent after match hospitality.

Guest Peppermint

A question for David or Tommy - I notice that Liam Eddy figured for Truro City and not for the County Youth on Saturday. Is it that Truro City are in a higher league and further up the pyramid that he can play for his club and not the County. Before City supporters jump down my throat it is not a go at them but just a question.

We at Newquay are delighted to have players in the Youth Team - so this is not a criticism but just out of interest.

Hi Peppermint.

Liam played for Truro when we played Dorset recently as well. Sean McCarthy asked if I could release him so that he could play in the Southern League, and not wanting to stand in the way of a young man playing at a great standard, I let him go.

Liam phoned me immediately after both our games to check the result and remains in our plans but with only one or hopefully two games to go I don't yet know if he'll feature again. Injury or unavailability might dictate that I call him up and if I do I know he'll be right on-side as his attitude has always been brilliant when he's been with us.

Orrin Crowle came in for Liam and has done really well. He was unlucky not to make the original squad due to injury but has jumped at his chance and we're delighted with his contribution alongside all the other players.

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for that information Tommy - I guessed that was the sensible arrangement that you would come to. Liam is a very talented footballer and it is nice to see him break into the Truro City First Team.

It has given Orrin Crowle the opportunity and we at Newquay are absolutely delighted for him and Aaron Bicknell who has improved with every match in the First Team at the Club. I am sure it won't be long before Jim gives young Orrin a couple of matches in the First Team - it is difficult fitting everyone in with our recent signing of the goal machine Paul Robertson.

Good luck for the remaining matches.