Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Can it make double figures for postponements?


Recommended Posts

Throgmorton third round Cup game between Wadebridge Town and Saltash United has been postponed for the ninth time. It's now rearranged for this coming Thursday with a 7.30pm kick-off at Bodieve Park (if unplayable then switched to Kimberley)

ALSO

Elmore v Elburton Villa St Lukes second round postponed and is now Tuesday, February 17 7.45.

The Throgmorton Cup quarter-final between Plymouth Parkway and Penzance is subject to an 11.00am inspection of Bolitho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with the pitch, Pete, we played on Saturday when loads of others couldn't, just nothing we can do when it hammers down with rain 3 days in a row. Nobody can control the weather, believe me everything that can be done to ensure the game goes ahead is being done.

Only two things would have ensured it had been played already... a roof to keep the rain and snow off and undersoil heating to stop the frost! How many voluntary sports clubs have got those things?

Hey Ho...another week messed up without being able to plan for training, programmes prepared, volunteers to run the facilities, gate etc....another massive phone bill keeping everyone informed, more time missed at work....you gotta love this game!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New dates for Wadebridge v Saltash 3rd Round :

Tuesday 17th February, 7.30pm AT Wadebridge Town.

If Off

Wednesday 18th February, 7.30pm AT Saltash United

If Off

Thursday 19th February, 7.30pm AT Wadebridge Town

New date for Quarter Final : Wadebridge or Saltash V Ivybridge :

The quarter final will be played on Tuesday 17th March, 7.30pm at the Winners ground, if off then Thursday 19th will be used.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After having inspected Bodieve Park 6 times in the past 7 days, I must stress that Wadebridge FC have done their very best to get this game on.

I had been asked to do an inspection of the pitch last saturday morning, but because I was in my car last Friday afternoon on the way to Bodmin to inspect their pitch, I called into Bodieve Park to have a quick look. There was quite a lot of surface water & I thought highly doubtful, although the pitch had been forked in the worse places.

Saturday morning I returned at 8am to be greeted by a sodden surface, but all the water had drained away. Overnight weather had been kind! With the weather forecast being dry, bright & with a decent breeze, it was decided between the Club & myself to defer a decision to see how much more the pitch dried out. Every chance was given to the game going ahead saturday, which it did, & the surface held up relatively well.

Monday I returned to Bodieve Park shortly after 5:30pm at the request of the Club, & after virtually non-stop rain all day. With that much water on the surface, there was no way it would dry in time for a game the next night. I undertsand Kimberley was also waterlogged!, & therefore the Cup match was yet again postponed. Playing saturday had no effect on this decision. The cut up surface was irrelevant due to the waterlogging & surface water.

I returned again Wednesday evening, again at the request of the Club, to be meet by a very wet surface, & a few small pools of water. Knowing how much water drained away overnight last Friday, I recommended to Wadebridge & the League that if possible, the game be switched to Saltash. If this could not happen I would look again at Bodieve Park in the morning. As has been stated, Kimberley was 'unplayable'.

8:10am today I am back at Bodieve to see a heavy frost covering the whole pitch, & a couple of the puddles had frozen over. A clear blue sky would soon thaw it out, but how wet would it be after? Therefore I deferred the decision until lunch time, determined, as was Wadebridge to give this game every chance of being played on the driest day of this week so far.

Noon arrived, & it was evident that the groundsman, who deserves a lot of credit for the effort he put into attempting to get the surface into a playable condition, had been very busy. Unfortunately, I felt that there was too many large areas that was waterlogged, although my shoes were only nearly sucked off my feet 4 times! The sun had been replaced by cloud & there was very little wind to aid drying & I could not see it being dry enough for the match to go ahead. A decision that proved to be correct as more rain at 5pm tonight would have meant everyone travelling to the match to find the match referee would have called it off.

As frustrating as this may be for all on this forum, it is more frustrating for the Clubs involved, & also the League! The work done attempting to get the pitch ready, & the money involved, only to be beaten by the weather is wasted.

Wadebridge have been heavily criticised for the postponement of this fixture, but I find it strange that Saltash have not come into any criticism considering the number of times that they have not been able to stage it instead due to their pitch being unplayable. Apparently this is the worst winter on record for the past 20 years. Is it too simple that that is the reason this game keeps getting called off!?

Gary Cornish

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gary -would you also admit that the New Bodieve Park along with Marshfield Parc (Callington) and Bickland Park (Falmouth) for example are susceptible to drainage issues following inclement weather?

At the other end of the scale I cannot envisage Blaise Park having even one postponement let alone ten.

High pressure for the next 4/5 days Game on Tuesday! (prediction)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No funding available for this part of the scheme at Wadebridge.Some drainage put in with funds raised by others.Paying the price perhaps for a level pitch but the club is taking steps to put it right.We all remember when Blaize Park was a brick in the summer and a bog in the winter,hundreds of tons of sand and vertidraining later it has improved and so will Bodieve.Contractors booked for the work in the summer hopefully funded by the cllubs efforts.Dissapointing for the club YES .Suggestion for everyone ,ask the ccfa to get access to a fund for the county and drain as meny surfaces as they can,only 1 contractor able to do the work in the county avearage costs 23k for a single pitch.The costs would reduce dramatically with increased work load and greater competion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the record, Mike..Wadebridge Town v's St. Blazey at Blaise Park, this season, evening game....both teams all in attendance, constant rain all day, game called off by the match referee, 45 minutes before kick off.

Everyone travelled because ref was not asked to come early to inspect the pitch, according to the match official in question.

We have had one league game postponed this season due to the weather, without checking, that is the same as St. Blazey?

We've been unfortunate, and yes we're dissapointed when any game is not playable, with the Throgmorton Cup game, but no pitch in the county would have had this game played if they have had the same weather.

Chairman, you take every opportunity to bring up funding and our pitch and every opportunity to have a go at Wadebridge Town.

With all due respect, if you can get some facts straight first, then maybe you can have a proper face to face debate with our Chairman at the re-arranged game, if, in fact you are the Chairman of St. Blazey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

could it be a case of jealousy from chairman with wadebridge still having a chance of a trophy where as blazey once the club to match by everyone seem to be stuck in a rutt and having there worst result ever, may be its time they went back to grass roots again (and thats not 3g )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gary -would you also admit that the New Bodieve Park along with Marshfield Parc (Callington) and Bickland Park (Falmouth) for example are susceptible to drainage issues following inclement weather?

At the other end of the scale I cannot envisage Blaise Park having even one postponement let alone ten.

High pressure for the next 4/5 days Game on Tuesday! (prediction)

Mike - I have admitted that I have inspected the pitch 6 times in the past 7 days, but I have not been the only referee to put this game off.

I believe the 'New' Bodieve Park is susceptible to problems in certain areas of the surface. I have said on this forum before that I don't think water has found it's 'natural' drainage yet. Possibly a problem whenever a new pitch is formed. There are also areas that are perfect, & if the game had been scheduled for tonight, then the game would most definitely be on. Lets hope you are right about the high pressure, & the game can be played at long last! :yahoo:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...