Cornwall Football Forum

Black Monday for managers!

What a day for managers! Firstly Tony Adams sacked at Portsmouth - no real surprise, despite the short time in the hot seat! That was followed by big Phil getting the boot at Chelsea - again, all that money demands results.

But the biggest shock of the day - Smudge and Dawey quit at Launceston! Two more characters to be missed in Cornish football!!! :(

Hi Dave

Yes I can confirm that I stepped down as Assistant Manager at Launceston on Saturday evening, following Smudger's decision to resign.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in this role and over the 4 year tenure I think we can be proud of what's been achieved. Launceston itself is a great club with some fantastic people behind the scenes and deserves all the success it can get. I am just pleased we have left on extremely amicable terms and hopefully consolidated Launceston as a Peninsula Premier League club.

In response to Mike's posting, yes we did have a great run earlier this season, but i'm afraid the collective commitment on the playing front didn't stand us in good stead to take the players any further in our opinion. I don't want to go into too many details but there is only so much motivation a management team can provide and there has to be an element of self-motivation on the players part.

What has also become apparent in this current climate is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to break into the challenging pack without vast investment in the playing budget. Unfortunately these days quality costs money and with the exception of promising youngsters, the best players are simply priced out of the market for the majority of teams in this division.

I have offered my services to the club as a player whether that be continuing in the first team or with our East Cornwall Premier side, as I have still got a burning desire to play. I have also offered to help with the training if it will help, but I simply want nothing to do with managing at senior level!! To be honest my wife is made up as I won't have Smudger glued to my ear all week, so she might get a look in now!

My coaching passion now is to continue developing youngsters and who knows one day if my lad wants to play football I could end up managing a DJM team!!

What has also become apparent in this current climate is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to break into the challenging pack without vast investment in the playing budget. Unfortunately these days quality costs money and with the exception of promising youngsters, the best players are simply priced out of the market for the majority of teams in this division.

Well Dawey you got that bit right mate,this is what annoys me with these so called great managers,its funny how these great managers always seem to have the biggest budgets I wont go into names as Im sure you know who I mean mate but this has been going on for years,you know as well as them if they had an average budget then they would not be interested,so you are right what you say the money men will always come out on top.

Any way mate good luck to you and smudge in the future.

Ha ha cheers James, used to enjoy our banter out on the flanks, but I hear you are doing well at the moment so I may not have the breath to talk to you these days!! My real worry if I carry on playing is that Burchy at Porthleven may try to do me with one of his nutmegs!!!

Will be a tough one for us Saturday Paul, as that was a great result you had against Witheridge last week who are a very strong outfit. Hopefully after training tonight something will be in place to give you a run for your money on Saturday!!