Cornwall Football Forum

Tony Adams

Guest Peppermint

What chance did Tony Adams have - just a few weeks in charge and left with Redknapp's remnants. He was obviously not given much of a chance.

Grant - why oh why would Portsmouth want him - on Saturday they were minutes away from a great victory and then the England keeper lets the ball in at the near post. His manager pays with his job - does not seem fair but that seems to be the way in football.

Guest Sport Lover

Its a results business and Portsmouth will lose probably millions if they go down.

I do agree sometimes, however, players can play poorly and get away with it.

As a Pompey fan I feel sorry for Adams as our whole season had the wind knocked out of it firstly by 'arry's departure and then by the AC Milan game.

We have played well in most games but had a mixture of bad luck and tactical naivity.

The Liverpool game was another classic example, instead of closing games out when ahead we continue to press forward and get caught! same against Milan and on numerous other occasions this season, no confidence at the back that heaps pressure on David James.

Liverpool had Torres to bring on, Milan had Ronaldinho......we have John Utaka or Gekas?

Adams was an unlucky manager and it is brave decision to get rid of him with only 14 matches remaining, lets hope it pays off.

Still at least it looks like our dear friends down the road are going down to League One!

This was comment from Nov18th:

I think the 4rsen4l player was Steve Morrow & dropped by that soon to be sacked manager Tony Adams (well what did he do at Wycombe).

Tony Adams is another of the over-rated managers who think that just cos they played internationally they will succeed.

Try Bryan Robson, Kevin Keegan, Roy Keane ..

Gareth Southgate may well be next.

THIS A TOUGH ONE HERE

LETS GET ONE THINGS STRAIGHT MANAGERS JUST ARENT GIVEN THE TIME ANYMORE AND TO A RECORD OF SOMETHING LIKE 2 WINS IN 15 GAMES IS NOT GOING TO MAKE YOUR JOB ANY EASIER.

PEOPLE SAY THEY HAVE SOLD PLAYERS BUT THEY HAVE ONLY SOLD TWO KEY PLAYERS SURELY THAT CANT TAKE YOU FROM FA CUP WINNERS TO BOTTOM THREE CAN IT ?

MY OPINION IS TONY ADAMS HAS THE RIGHT PEDIGREE TO SUCCEED BUT PORTSMOUTH ARE NO LONGER LOOKING AMBITIOUS AND THIS SEEMS TO BE AFFECTING EVERYONE THERE. I FEEL IF MR ADAMS WAS GIVEN 2 YEARS HE COULD HAVE TURNED PORTSMOUTH AROUND INCLUDING BALANCING THERE BOOKS BUT YOU JUST WONT GET THE TIME IN THIS DAY AND AGE.

ON THE OTHER HAND MR CURBISHLEY LOOKS A VERY GOOD BET FOR THEM BUT DONT GIVE HIM MUCH MONEY COS HE WAS USELESS AT BUYING PLAYERS WITH ANY REALY RETURN AT WEST HAM, KEEP HIM ON SHOE STRING AND HE WILL DO YOU A GOOD JOB

IAMTHEBEST is spot on. I remember watching Nottingham Forest thrash Southampton at the dell 5-1, Clough was on fire and the side included amongst others Stuart Pearce and Des Walker. They still went down that season but I can honestly say I have not seen a better performance live at a game since!

Once again another starnge decision Portsmouth rake in millions selling their best players and they expect Adams to cope. They are within five minutes of beating Liverpool but for a couple stupid mistakes. I never rated Adams but I hope this is a good experience for him and he gets a good pay off. Its like most people in business. You fire the people you put in the job but you are still allowed to make more ****-ups when you employ the next man.

I suppose at the end of the day, Footballers are not the same anymore

They used to play for the game and there love for it.

Now they play for money and there fore if a manager is no longer there who persuaded them to come to the club and they dont see the new manager in the same way they just wont play with the passion they were playing with before. I feel this is the same for Chelsea and Portsmouth. Yes portsmouth sold Diarra and defoe but you cant tell me these two players are difference in 15 places in the league table or so

Adams would have been a good bet in the longer term but short term it just wasnt going to happen

Of course this is my opinion and not an official statement from Pompy FC :D:D :D

Guest Peppermint

Very astute and perceptive posting by ECPL - hit the nail firmly on the head. Adams loses his best players and he is expected to get the same results as Redknapp.