Cornwall Football Forum

I remember when ...................

I remember when you could come on this forum and have a banter and a laugh, with no abuse, no swearing and no personal attacks. If there was one of the forum adminastrators would delete the offending post and send a PM to the offender.

Members would come on tell jokes about each others teams, nothing nasty, just fun banter and good times.

Then slowly people started to get personal, people started to bitch at each other, the fun went out of the banter and members started to stop using the forum because they didn't want to put up with the abuse. Offensive messages where ignored, complaints where ignored or 'oh well some people might like it'.

Now theres hardly a topic that is started where somewhere in it people are being offensive, rude or making personal comments about other forum users.

Seems that no more PMs are being sent out , no more posts are being deleted, people have taken 'freedom of speech' too far.

I may be alone but i liked this forum loads better when you could have a laugh, when you could have a banter about football. When members used to come on and writen poems about other forum members and it was taken how it was ment, as a piece of light hearted banter.

Don't supose theres any chance of the forum getting back to how it used to be ??? Light hearted, fun and informative :rolleyes:

The end :c: :smiley20:

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

May I suggest you look to one of your own at Ponsmere for some of the more provocative postings. I may dish out some banter and defend my club from stupid comments, but I rarely use foul language on the forum.

I am more than happy to support Anita in this attempt to prevent personal attacks and bring more humour to the site.

I totally agree, Anita.

I think that the majority of users want to maximise the forum as a resource for Cornish football, personally I think that discipline should be self-imposed and individuals should think twice about what they are about to post. Written words can be damaging and as there is no scope to establish whether something is being written in jest or in spite, it so often comes across as the latter.

I've often wondered whether it'd be best to stop posting responses on here as many others have done. The number of personal attacks is astounding, it is sometimes hard to believe that the majority of registered users are grown adults. As for having an opinion, well, I guess it depends if you fit the status quo or if your team has won at the weekend!

The most concerning aspect (and equally hard to police) is the fact that individuals are registering with a pseudonym that hides their true identity and opens up an opportunity to say pretty much whatever they please without any real consequence or consideration for the impact on others.

Moderators can only do a certain amount and individual responsibility has to come into the equation. I don't think that there are any easy solutions, it will need a concerted effort from everyone to have a bit of respect for others.

Finally, I think that there is far too much stirring in the hope to create controversy. It seems to me that some individuals enjoy the opportunity to create problems between other individuals or clubs and sit back and enjoy it when it all gets a bit heated. That's not what the forum was set up for and I find it quite disrespectful to the guys that provide their time to keep the forum running.

I can safely say that I won't think twice about cancelling my registration and using CTB's website as my sole source of data for the Combo if things don't improve over time. I think it is important that we suggest some practial things that could help, perhaps some ground rules for forum users may prove helpful? At least it would mean that expectations are clear and non-compliance would result in registrations being promptly terminated. Is it also out of the question to ask for a small donation from each registered forum user? How about asking individuals to declare their local club interest and who they support, that could create a little more transparency!

Guest Peppermint

Totally agree with your sentiments Anita - great posting from Mitch as well.

I use a pen name but make no secret of who I am and what club I am associated with but there seems too many people who hide behind a name and I have heard and perhaps the Administrators could confirm that some people have somehow managed to get more than one user name.

Hopefully we can get back to what Anita says - a Forum that is a great tool for finding results and reading reports like Mitch and Darin Morse. This a great medium and we do not want to lose it. Perhaps everyone who registers could be made to use their own name but this would be a pity in some ways because there are some great names on here.

Well said Anita, must admit that i always read The Forum but do not post anymore (apart from today) its just tedious to read through all the drivel and rubbish bored nameless people post with savage attacks on the Female (who do have a part to play in all forms of football) members, and others.

Also agree about posters identities being known to the Admin and one per person because i know that certain people actually have rows with themselves to provoke a reaction from other users (now that is sad)

Lets get back to the old days of posting results & fixtures, questions & answers, information & advice and for the sake of the good people who have stopped using this Forum stop the bitching and slating of people who put genuine comments on here as that is whats driving people away.

We are all proud and defensive of our respective Clubs or Teams as i am about Referees and Officials, but surely some of the comments are totally unneccesary and i am sure if people were not hiding behind a false name a lot of the rubbish would not get posted.

So come on then Moderators lets try and get back to how it should be and have the good banter, humour and get rid of the threatening and bad taste postings that have been allowed to creep in over the last 12 months or so please. And please give Metters some spelling lessons. ;0) :c:

Well said Anita.

I write under my own name because I'm not afraid to put my name to the things I say.

Like many others, I've occasionally been the subject of some unwarranted comments, often made by people who claim to know better but are afraid to put their name to their views.

I don't like personal attacks on other people and perhaps we should all look at what we say before too many of us stop using this forum as it was originally intended.

I also agree with you Anita. I post under a pen name purely because I was always told never to use your real name on internet forums, but I make no secret of who I am and if I knew how to change my name from Ronin to Sam Boston then I would do it.

Football is why we're here and football should be what it's all about :D

I totally agree with Anita and all who prefer the forum to return to friendly ways. Hope you get yur wish Anita.

By the way, I do in fact write poetry as a spare-time business. If any of my efforts appear here, be sure there will be absolutely no charge!

Im in total agreement here. This forum was designed to be a source of information to cornish soccer & unfortunatley, some people have turned it into a playground where they can throw abuse at others without having the guts to stand up face to face & give your real name ! I think it is time for us to trust in the adminisrators & trust them to pull the plug on any subject which they feel is getting personal, offensive, abusive & to the detriment of this forum. We as a forum are slowly getting a bad name across both the county & the individual leagues, only we as members can do something about that. Lets start acting like grown ups & respect the people who worked hard to set up this site for our benifit & more importently, start respecting each other again ! :thumbsup:

Guest man on! the sideline

with you all the way anita.

i also like smudges idea about a card system, that wouldn't affect anyone who doesn't abuse this forum.

here's to the Fun On Cornish Soccer Again Kindered Entreaty.

Guest Sport Lover

Good idea Smudge card system from the admin guys or naming and shaming. Dont let anyone setup a user id unless they have given their full name to the admin guys even if they use an alias to post.

As usual its only a few idiots that spoil things for the rest of us.

No, Anita, don't do yourself down. You have opened a very valid thread. I'm guessing that the administrators just don't have enough time to thoroughly screen every single posting. Expecting people to police their own comments is, I'm afraid, pie in the sky as there have always been and will always be those amongst us who lack the basic quality of self-discipline; who watch too much day-time TV and think that insulting or humiliating people is an acceptable way to communicate because that is what all those sad wotsits on Trish, Jeremy Kyle et al do. Some mistake that for an example of how to behave! I'm a Chelsea fan (immediate rude comments) but like anyone of my generation I can laughingly accept criticism of them (especially today!) rather than viewing it as a direct challenge to my masculinity requiring a call outside!

And I remember when it cost me 1/6 to get in to watch Chopper kick lumps out of Bremner or Best bamboozle Bonetti!

Thanks Anita for starting this thread.

Some remarks are a little ironic in a way, because when I had previous the Cornish Soccer Forum, I didn't hesitate to delete posts that were either slightly abusive or irrelevant. It didn't always go down well, but that's the problem, not everyone is going to be happy.

We, the administrators and moderators, haven't got time to constantly police the Forum. We shouldn't have to either. You'll be surprised how many times I delete or amend postings to ensure they stay on here. It would be far easier just to delete them, but then it often spoils the thread.

As for the yellow card system - again, great idea, but why should we mess about keeping a record. I haven't got the time, nor have the others, and quite frankly why should we? I say let's just ban offenders. Only last week I suspended someone because his post was completely alien to anything football related! However, there lies the problem - what one person finds offensive, what one person finds aggressive, what one person finds insulting - there will be many that don't.

There are the those that are prepared to stir, but are also the quickest to complain; and the others that have a humour by-pass when the subject is a little too close to home.

Let me give you an example of something that has occurred just this evening. I've received the following PM : "Could you please consider deleting the topic titled "**********************" as there are some that are saying things that are simply not true and people just want it to stop, I know one person in particular who is furious about it."

I have looked at the thread in question, as we do with all comments we receive, and "cleaned it up a little". Why one has to mention things that are totally nothing to do with football always amazes me! But that meant, that I had to then amend a response as well! But, in the end I have not deleted the thread, if I delete one, I'll be getting a host of similar requests - because they don't like something. If the post is inaccurate, reply so and make it clear that the original suggestions are off the mark. However, I'll be interested to know what you think I should have done?

Finally, I'm more than keen to hear your thoughts on the whole of this matter and I promise we will act accordingly to keep this Forum the popular tool it has become. We have people wanting to register everyday. Believe me, you'll be surprised how many, and who, visit this Forum to keep up with the news and views!

We have reached the end of pastime, for always,

Ourselves and everyone, though few confess it

Or see the sky other than as of old,

A foolish, smiling Mary-mantle blue.

Though life may still seem to dawdle golden

In some June landscape among giant flowers,

The grass to shine as cruelly green as ever,

Faith to descend in a chariot from the sky....

May seem only. A mirror and an echo

Mediate henceforth with vision and sound.

The cry of faith, no longer mettlesome

Sounds as a blind man's pitiful plea of "blind".

We have at last ceased idling, which to regret

Were shallow as to ask our milk-teeth back

As many forthwith do, and on their knees

Call lugubriously upon chaste Christ.

We tell no lies now, at last cannot be

The rogues we were......."

Extract from Robert Graves, "End of Play", 1938.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it"

Michel de Montaigne, 1595.

"A satire which the censor is able to understand deserves to be banned."

Karl Kraus.

:P:D:blink::thumbsup::drink::c::unsure::yahoo::thumbsup: :yahoo:

I think the only way we're gonna get the forum back to how it was is for everyone to have a little respect. It doesn't take long to re-read your post and most members have the brains to workout if their post is going to offend someone. The personal attacks really need to stop too. If someone has that big a problem with another forum user, ignore them. You don't have to attack other members, just because you think your funny.

Dave, Rich and Phil (sorry if i've missed anyone out), do a great job keeping this forum running, and no one can expect them to 'police' this forum 24/7, so please members its down to you to make this forum a fun and informative place once again. (god that sounded like a plea) :smiley20: :c:

I know this is going off topic but

"I Remember When"

When I was a lot younger (40 years ago) I used to get 2 shillings (10p or 24d (pennies)) pocket money.

Every Saturday morning I would catch the bus from Credenhill to Hereford (4-5 miles) and bought a return ticket for 4d.

Into the ABC cinema for the children ABC Minors Club show for 6d including a free drink. If it was your birthday and you showed your club card with your birthday displayed you got in for free. We would watch B-movies and series such as Flash Gordon.

Dinner was a packed lunch.

After that it was muck about, then it was off to Edgar Street to watch Hereford United. 6d it used to cost for us to get in to watch them play in the Southern League, teams such as Yovil, Cambridge United, Wimbledon, Bath City, Cheltenham Town, etc.

Afterwards, we used to go in the fishing tackle shop and spend any money left on hooks and line. Hooks then were 8 for 1d.

Then it was back home on the bus.

Sundays were spent fishing in local ponds, rivers or we would cycle down to the River Wye.

Happy days.

I've had to smile reading this thread.

Quite some time ago (may have even been on the previous forum), a supporter of a football team in Cornwall refered to St Blazey fans a "a bunch of f****** inbreds".

I messaged the then moderator of the board who thought that on this occasion the line had not been crossed, so no action would be taken. I also left a message on the thread itself saying I felt this was out of order and received little support; people refered to the incident as "banter", saying these kind of opinions were good for football in the area.

Other football forums I use are very quick to expel abusive posters, but the moderators here have never taken that line. So my view now is that it just goes with the territory. This is the best place on line for discussing football in our particular area, so I just ignore the postings made by people who would rather attack you rather than making a reasonable argument.

I used to think of these people as bullies, but they are of course just cowards; people who feel a need (presumably born out of some inferiority complex) to gain some kind of status or importance by abusing others from in front of a computer screen, where there will be no consequences. They exist in all walks of life, and here is no different :)

I think the only way we're gonna get the forum back to how it was is for everyone to have a little respect. It doesn't take long to re-read your post and most members have the brains to workout if their post is going to offend someone. The personal attacks really need to stop too. If someone has that big a problem with another forum user, ignore them. You don't have to attack other members, just because you think your funny.

Dave, Rich and Phil (sorry if i've missed anyone out), do a great job keeping this forum running, and no one can expect them to 'police' this forum 24/7, so please members its down to you to make this forum a fun and informative place once again. (god that sounded like a plea) :smiley20::c:

couldnt agree more since you have made this posting i have tried to change my wording and stop winding as many people up

lets hope everyone can!

and anita im not 'sad' :P:P :P

Guest Man on the Post

I remember when I was a kid in the 60’s:-

We ate cakes, white bread, real butter and juice with sugar in it, but we weren’t overweight because we were OUTSIDE playing! We could play outside all day, as long as we were home by the time the streetlights came on. Our parents couldn’t reach us and we were ok!

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After crashing a couple of times, we learned to solve the problem!

We had no mobile phones, text messaging, internet or personal computers. We had friends and we went outside and found them! We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones, lost teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents! We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever! We drank water from the garden hose or tap.

If we broke the law our parents did not bail us out. They actually sided with the law!

Apologies to Anita and others for this post being off-topic. :smiley20:

Guest Sport Lover

I just about remember those days Man on the post being a Praze 70's kid, 2p to make a call in the phone box cos not many homes had phones, cheap rate after 6pm so there was a queue. Fishing in Crowan which was a 3 mile walk, playing in Clowance woods all day. Getting caught with no lights on my push bike by the local bobby and getting a telling off. No danger of answering back or he would of gone to my dad then I would off been in trouble. Receiving the cane across the hand in school for swearing. Working part time and school holidays on a farm from 14 to get pocket money for myself. How many kids would do that now?

Oh happy days

Life has changed sadly

Anita do me a favour and get yourself a life, Moaning about how the forum used to be and how it is now is just a complete waste of time

Speaking of time it does change you know so either move with it and accept what happens or get left behind :D

As you will know ANITA i am having a little banter with you as we always do, Your an Arse fan it is not your fault but thats life and i accept that as you do which is why i am able to have good quality banter with a mate

With regards to your thread i agree 100% and im with you on this :clapper: :clapper:

Ah, Chairman ? Am I right in my assumption that you are some kind of retired musician, once popular in discotheques ? I appreciate that low culture provides opportunities for cupidity.

More of a Stockhausen and Leonard Cohen man myself. Good luck with your exciting life in Par or wherever it is, rocking around the skiffle-board with your fellow hep--cats. Futile ? Boring ? Surely not ! :rolleyes:

Quite so, cockerkneeboy, quite so ! :D

There has been quite enough sentimental Eliza Doolittle nonsense on here already. If it does not stop I shall be forced to tell the story of the failed attempt by child hooligans from Boscaswell to murder me with stinging nettles.

Anita on a more serious note can I ask

are you constantly drunk ? You must be for supporting them :D:D:D:D

cheeky little monkey, nope i've not been drunk constantly for the last 25 odd years :P:smiley20:

and cockerkneeboy, you wanna be careful, you never know where i might turn up :lol: :drink:

(and cockerkneeboy, you wanna be careful, you never know where i might turn up :lol::drink:)

Oh my god is that a threat :(

I remember when this forum was good and folk were less aggressive ANITA :D

:P i ment you never know when i might be in the middle :SM_carton_y::lol:

your right abpout one thing i do need a life i spend far to much time on here :D they should make me a mod so i can do something useful while i'm here :lol:

(and cockerkneeboy, you wanna be careful, you never know where i might turn up)

Oh my god is that a threat

I remember when this forum was good and folk were less aggressive ANITA

:P i ment you never know when i might be in the middle :SM_carton_y::lol:

your right abpout one thing i do need a life i spend far to much time on here :D they should make me a mod so i can do something useful while i'm here :lol:

Thats a great idea lets all start a thread MAKE ANITA A MOD BECAUSE SHE HAS FAR TO MUCH TIME ON HER HANDS :D

Well if your ever in the middle when i am playing i shall remember to be good :SM_carton_y::SM_carton_y: :SM_carton: