Cornwall Football Forum

Suggestion for Phil Hiscox

If this has already been something discussed or is in the pipeline already then please disregard this post, but what do Cornish Soccer Forum members that follow the SWPL think of this idea.

I have touched on before now that the new League may just take a couple of years to settle down and Clubs find their rightfull levels, so how about at the end of each season a Representative team from both the SWPL West and East Leagues were to be selected by appointed management teams, to go head to head for the right to then play a Representative team selected from the Premier League?

I would suggest that the end of the season would probably be the better time as players often move around the leagues from one season to the next. The venues can be shared out each season offering much needed extra revenue for Clubs suffering in the curent climate or a designated Charity linked somehow to SW grassroot football could maybe be a beneficiary.

Im sure it would be a great way to bring the curtain down on a SWPL season and serve to give us all two more occassions to look forward to before the boring wet summer! Not only this but players of the SWPL who perhaps have not had any hope of silverware to play for during the latter part of the season would also have something to play for (other than, of course, the pride of playing for their Clubs) and look forward to.

What do people think of this idea, pro's and con's invited please?

Lafs.

Guest Postie Pidge

I think it's a good idea and once the insurance idea has been sorted then why not?

There was a referees team that played a SWPL managers team at either Galmpton or Liverton at the end of last season to raise money for the SWPL Benevolent Fund.

I agree with Chairman:after a long season with a plethora of end of season games to catch up,there would be little or no interest from players yet alone spectators.I have seen this type of thing before when players drop out at the last minute and managers are scratching around for anyone who might be available.

Guest Mark Hayman

Unfortunately with the way things are going at the moment we could well be playing League games up until the last day of May anyhow !

Most clubs at that stage of the season are keen to get off their pitch and re seed it etc, players and club officials by the middle of May have simply had enough of football, especially the top clubs whose players play more than most anyhow (because of Cup games) and it would be these that would provide the majority of players.

The other problem would be that it could well be a costly event with players potentially coming from Penzance, Porthleven, Axminster, Appledore etc and then throw in three match officials who would all need paying for their time and troubles. By that time in the football calender and after a constant diet of midweek games over the previous two months, peoples interest would be minimal.

This season we did introduce the Charity Vase between the Champions of East & West, Wadebridge Town beating Budleigh Salterton 3-2 in August. Next season that will continue and who will contest next years Vase is anyones guess, it promises to be an nail biting end to the season for many clubs at the top of both Divisions. Anyone of six could still win the West Division and four the East.

The referee's game at the end of last season was very poorly supported by those that took to the field and more importantly those that actually came and watched hardly reached double figures at Liverton United.

Regards,

Mark Hayman

I don't really agree with you Chairman, Mark and Adlestrop!! If it's a league rep side and as a player you're picked to play I think it would be a real honour.

Why would you be fed up with football? If it puts a hold on the cricket season (which is more boring than one of Jon Dawes team talks) then surely it's a good thing!!

I agree with Spider, apart from the team talk being boring!!!

It is always an honour to be picked for a representative side at any level in my opinion, although some club managers may not always agree.

I also find it hard to be criticised by a goalkeeper who cannot take his own goal kicks and has hands like crisp packets!!!

Why is it then Dawey that when you've finished your team talk Bear has to go round the changing room and wake everybody up?!!

I would take the kicks Dawful but you know as well as I do that I'm putting my career on the line playing with a broken ankle!! Unlike yourself who hasn't played for weeks due to getting cramp in your very old legs!!

Guest Peppermint

Sorry Spider, but after watching yesterday's match at Wadebridge - it might be better if you did take an interest in cricket. You might well be able to catch the ball and actually hold on to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Peppermint

Well done Paul spoken like a true sportsman - I hope you can get your ankle treated and be back to full fitness soon - Launceston must be grateful to you for playing despite the injury. I thought you were very unlucky not to keep the Wadebridge third out when you almost managed to push it over ther bar.

I enjoyed the match yesterday - end to end and the home side probably shaded the first half but the visitors came back strongly in the second period.