Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Mullion v Penzance League Cup Report

Recommended Posts

Combination League Cup Q-F

Mullion 2-3 Penzance Reserves

Penzance reach their first League Cup semi-final in five years after overcoming a stubborn Mullion at a cold and windy Clifden Close. The result was in doubt until the end and was a good game to watch for any neutral spectator even with the many dodgy off-side decisions from the Mullion lino. (I don’t usually comment but I was dead in line for some decisions and they were not as they should be)

The game kicks off with Penzance playing down the slope with the wind blowing across the pitch helping neither team. They immediately break right and get a free kick 30yds out. Ashley Thomas takes it and he fires a cross goal shot just wide.

For a few minutes the game is end to end until Ross Badcock shoots just wide of the left-hand upright. We then see the first couple of dodgy off-sides, one when Wade Brown breaks through and is 1-on-1 with the keeper, the other when Thomas breaks clear.

Penzance then start to get the upper hand. A corner on the right is taken short, lobbed over to Steve Hancock who flicks the ball over the keeper only to see the ball hooked off the goaline. The ball comes back out to him, he shoots and the grateful keeper gets down and smothers the ball at the second attempt.

After roughly thirty minutes the game starts to open up with more flowing football from both sides, and with Mullion starting to threaten the Penzance goal. They get a free kick on the right. The ball comes over and a back post header is just wide.

Then on 36mins Penzance break the deadlock. A long goal kick is flicked on to Thomas who beats the off-side trap and plants the ball low past the advancing keeper from 15yds out. 0-1 after 36mins.

Penzance hold onto their lead for exactly one minute! Mullion kick off, go down their left, cross and Matt Fox shoots low under the diving keeper. 1-1 after 37mins.

Mullion are next on the attack. A high ball beats the keeper and Tom Hosking has to clear of the line.

Brown then rattles the Mullion bar with a long range volley but the ball bounces safely away. Hancock then breaks right, turns and shoots hitting the side netting.


The second half starts end to end with Mullion taking advantage of the slope.

Then on 51mins Brown gets the first of his double. A through ball from Badcock finds Brown on the right. He fires in from 30yds beating the advancing keeper, but his shot rebounds off the upright. He then runs onto it and taps into the empty net from 20yds. 1-2 after 51mins.

This time Penzance hold onto their lead for three minutes! A long ball from Mullion bounces in the area and Tom Hosking leaps low to clear it away but puts it past a diving Nicholls in the Penzance goal to chalk up an OG. 2-2 after 54mins.

Penzance kick off and press forward. They break right, put over a cross pitch ball to Ian Philips. He lobs the keeper but the ball hits the cross bar and bounces out. The resulting shot is fired wide of the post from close range.

Penzance bring on Bradley Wills for Steve Burt and there is a sudden bit of urgency to the midfield. A cross goal ball from the right is headed wide at the back post by Brown. Then Brown once again hits the cross bar from a header but the ball bounces clear.

Mullion break through but a weak shot is grabbed by Nicholls who immediately kicks the ball upfield and Brown runs onto it but tamely taps the ball to the keeper whilst 1-on-1.

Penzance’s Gary Matthews is booked for dissent to the Mullion linesman for being “off-side” once again. Total frustration.

Then with the clock running down Penzance get their noses in front again from a Thomas corner. He puts over a long ball to the back of the box, where Matthews heads it back and Brown nods it in from 5yds out. 2-3 after 77mins.

Penzance with their tails up push forward and a Brown shot is defected over the bar with everyone beaten.

Both teams make substitutions. One for Penzance is Ryan Andrew, who comes on for the first time since breaking his arm at St Agnes on 23rd August.

The final few minutes see Mullion pushing forward for the equaliser but Penzance have the final chance of the game. A long ball from the back bounces over the defence, Brown knocks it over the advancing keeper, but it stops in the wind as it rolls towards the goaline giving a defender time to come back and clear.


Luke Wilkes, the ref had a good game apart from being fooled by the constant off-side decisions. Good to see so many youngsters playing in both teams.

Penzance Man of the Match was Wade Brown. Scored two, hit the post or cross bar, one cleared off the line. Need I say more. Ross Badcock also gets a mention for having a good game in midfield.

Penzance – Craig Nicholls, Darren Holsey, Tom Hosking, Ross Badcock, Gary Matthews, Steve Hancock, Steve Burt, Ashley Thomas, Ian Philips, Charlie Penny, Wade Brown

Subs – Bradley Wills (Burt 55), Ryan Andrew (Philips 85), James England (Badcock 88)

Corner count-Mullion 1-6 Penzance (1-4 1st half)

Crowd – 33 (8 from Penzance)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Me and the Sunday Independent disagree about the 2nd Mullion goal as the management of Mullion must have changed their minds.

At the end of the match I asked if they agreed that their 2nd goal was an own goal scored by Pz's Tom Hosking and they agreed, hence so my report says. The Pz linesman also agreed it was an own goal.

Now the paper says that it was a free kick scored by Harry Spraggett.

Sorry I was there and will not record Harry's goal on the combo website unless someone from the Pz management agrees with the paper.

Sorry Harry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...