Cornwall Football Forum

Best Under 18 in cornwall?

Guest slimjim

Cant look any further than Liam Thornton of Torpoint should be first on the team sheet for the County side but the selectors would probably get a nose bleed if they came further North than Trago Mills lol !!

Maybe Lewis Young of Millbrook (Now St. Dominick U18's) but his favourite person is himself!!

Having played against or with all the players mentioned so far i would have to say that neil slateford is the best player all round. However as a striker Budes Billy Hopcroft in my view is better than liam eddy, lewis young and liam thorntorn (liam eddy is close behind) and if im right is currently cornwall youths top goal scorer? may be wrong. Best under 17 is by far Olly Brokenshire from St.Austell. And Liam Sandercock from Bude is the best defender in teh Cornwall side by far after watching one of their games.

Guest A LEGEND!

olly is class act after watching him play

however bude town billy hopcroft is not better then liam thornton nor lewis young. liam was starting to break into torpoint 1sts untill his unfortunate injury and lewis young started to make a name for himself with parkway firsts scoring two on his debut. lewis is also at devon and is their current top scorer. both laim and lewis are proving they have what it takes at a higher standard which i havent seen billy do yet so untill then you cannot make a comment like that considering your billys biggest fan looking at past topics lol liam is not playing for his u18s anymore otherwise hed be my top man as hes done it with a not so good team around him.

I am sure that Liam Thornton of Torpoint Athletic was invited to attend a County Youth trial at Dobwalls in September 08. However for reasons unknown did not attend.

As already stated Lewis Young elected to play for Devon this season, despite attending the Dobwalls trial.

That was his decision and we had no problems with his wishes.

Guest A LEGEND!

Mr Bray not disputing Young elected to play for Devon. its his home area and ive spoke to liam he doesn't recall being invited to a trial. shame as hed work well with hopcroft got such great work-rate and scores goals.

Very difficult to discuss best players when so many good players throughout the County and different positions. Young and Thornton are quality players and have proven scoring records at youth level and good adult teams. Neil Slateford has been a top player for years, and i liked the look of the Bude striker from last season. Its a shame they didnt enter the County Cup this year to defend their trophy, maybe a game should be arranged between the winner and them or even the County winners of Devon, be good to give them a run for their money. Good striker for Bodmin U18s this season and they have a big strong midfielder who is class.

I dont think you can look any further from that lad at bude !! not sure of his name but think he was there captain durning last seasons rathbone final , also i would pick lewis young as the best goalscorer around by a country mile !!!

Guest Peppermint

This topic is becoming ridiculous - who would be a manager[Tommy Matthews] when you have all this silly talk about who should and should not be selected. We can all nominate someone from our clubs but the County Youth are doing well and in very capable hands with Tommy and David Bray etc.

Good luck to them in their next game. Tommy cannot drag people to trials and it is up to clubs and individuals to take some responsibilty.

Guest retro samon

yes peppermint i agree. but the thing is throughout the cornwall squads, half the players that are selected are good yes but sumtimes its players that the manager knows, not what they no.

good luck on sat.

Scott Bennett is the best under 18 player in the county by a country mile. Scott is currently playing for Exeter City Reserves and my mate who is scott bennett and the bennett familys friend went up to watch Exeter City Res v Plymouth Argyle Res and Plymouth had a really strong side out with many of the first teamers ( Steve Maclean, Emile Mpenza, Craig Noone... to name a few) and only lost 2-1 and Scott apparently marked Emile Mpenza out of the game. In the summer he signed a pro contract with exeter city. Keep up the good work scott

wee kempie, absolute topper!!!!!!

had the pleasure of playing alongside him at porth and he's already one of the most composed players on the park! as well as being an all round "good wee guy"....

bikkers is also a cracking prospect at newquay and young orin crowle will also grow into a smasher! I also have 3 lads ,at the under 16s team I manage, that will be special in a couple of years .. Danny Carne, JImmy Ward and Alfie Hagan

good level of youngsters coming through

Well we've got 2 Bude players playing for us this year, so how much further north can we go?

Lewis Young played for us last year but has elected to play for Devon this season.

Don't remember Liam Thornton at the trials in September......sorry got to go now my nose has started to bleed!

wouldnt have your job for gold clock,tommy,the parents of the youngsters all think there boys are the best,and are so blinkered its funny,the best parents are the ones that go along and you dont know their at the game,but some who even never played the game think they should have say,and perhaps go on to manage England :c:

Guest ECPL Supporter

I am sure that Liam Thornton of Torpoint Athletic was invited to attend a County Youth trial at Dobwalls in September 08. However for reasons unknown did not attend.

As already stated Lewis Young elected to play for Devon this season, despite attending the Dobwalls trial.

That was his decision and we had no problems with his wishes.

Do you have to go to a trial to be picked? What if you were injured on that day? Or had a bad day? Is it not possible to be selected on your form for your club?

Thanks Hayden, sometimes it's difficult but the opportunity to manage and affect some of the best players in the county for their age is a great reward.

You always stand a better chance if you're at the trials but we do pick players when the season's underway. Lewis Young last season is a prime example. However, the players we've got have done really well this year and represented Cornwall brilliantly, and I wouldn't be able to drop anyone from the squad based on performances. You never know what might happen in terms of injury etc between now and March when we play Wiltshire.

We all have our own ideas of who we'd like in our team, that's why we all pick a different England side. Until yours actually plays, you don't know just how you'd fair.

Father Ted,

Ask Richard Rundle whether I overlooked him or whether I explained to him our position after the trial game at Newquay.

People make certain accusations without being in possession of all the facts.

I've seen Richard play since the trials and I'm keeping in touch with his and other players' progress all the time through a network of contacts thanks.

Many of the names mentioned in this thread are already playing in the County side so I guess we're on the right lines, and given the fact I can only have a squad of 16 at games I can't include everybody else mentioned.

We all see different things in different players and it's important to select a squad that has flexibility in it so that players can switch positions at a moment's notice when injuries occur. A prime example was when Kempy got hurt against Dorset after 15 minutes. We were able to switch players fairly seemlessly and not lose our shape.

So selecting a squad also involves picking players who are able to cover a number of positions. Not all players are able to do this comfortably. The squad has performed well so far and we have a big game to look forward to next month against Wiltshire.

Guest chrissssss

Neil slatesford of Falmouth is a top act, also liam thornton has pace to burn. there are two young lads at callington that are performing well at the minute.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mcbainthepain

matt nottle, not sure where hes at atm but hes a top class striker. wud recommend to clubs looking for a 30-40 goal a season frontman :drink::drink: :yahoo:

Guest Biggsie

i also agree zack peel is a top quality striker. not sure where he is at the moment but he has the potential to be playing south western league if not higher. i would love to have him in my team, but rumour has it his friday nights take priority over his saturday duties