Cornwall Football Forum

Foxhole 2 Newquay 6

Foxhole 2 Newquay 6

Saturday 31st January 2009

Woeful Foxhole achieved the near impossible by making an ordinary Newquay side look like world-beaters with an embarrassing display in only their second match of 2009. Desperately shoddy defending allowed the visitors to race into a four-goal lead within a quarter of an hour, three of which came from debutant Robertson, who went on to grab two more after the break. His pace and movement was far too good for the sleepy Foxes, who woke briefly from their slumbers to at least bring a semblance of respectability to the scoreline.

Decent player though he undoubtedly is, palpably Robertson is not the new Jimmy Greaves, and may yet be wondering quite how he failed to further expose the almost total lack of cohesion within the home rearguard, who in fairness were provided with little cover by a midfield who spent ninety minutes wearily watching the game revolve around them, making only fleeting acquaintance with the ball. Robertson's first came within a hundred seconds, tapping home after Weldhen's effort had been blocked; moments later, Adam Holland had conceded yet another penalty with a challenge on Rigby, allowing Hartigan to easily convert the spot-kick. On eight minutes Robertson prodded home at the second attempt before completing his hat-trick six minutes later with a free header from Rigby's right wing centre just as frantic phone calls were being made to the National Missing Persons' Helpline seeking the whereabouts of the Foxhole defence (if you can help, please ring 0500 700 700. Calls from landlines are free, but you'll get ripped off by mobile networks).

Foxhole's response was to switch unconvincingly to 3-5-2, as an open stable door banged depressingly in the gale and a horse was seen bolting down towards Nanpean; things were getting so bad on the pitch I felt like racing after him, as the Foxes continued to steadfastly decline either to mark or to attack the ball, spending the remainder of the half watching Newquay squander further chances : Robertson fired wide after a good run, Weldhen's snapshot struck a post from six yards, while Bicknell twice surged forward from full-back to alarm Ryan Holland.

With nothing to lose, the Foxes attempted to throw caution to the strong wind after the break, but created nothing until the hour mark when the disappointing Butler released Rickard, whose shot cannoned off the legs of the giant Merrikin. Griffin's impressive turn on the edge of the box was followed by an inviting shot across goal that begged for a tap-in, before James' shirt-pull on the same player when he was clear was missed by the referee. Newquay were prepared to pick their moment and, from a Hartigan corner, another free-header by Robertson crashed against the woodwork, before, with nineteen minutes left, a rare telling move see Butler's pass find Bromley, whose twenty yard drive flew past a wrong-footed Merrikin.

Given that Foxhole's play still lacked any real conviction, a fightback appeared improbable, and Robertson again sprinted away to make it 5-1 on 76 minutes. Griffin did beat Merrikin at the near post on 83 but that Robertson should immediately be presented with a unmissable opportunity for his fifth neatly encapsulated the lamentable nature of an abject performance made yet worse by bookings for Rowe, Prince and Bromley.

Foxhole (4-4-2): Ryan Holland 5; Phil Hobbs 5 (sub. Matt May 5), Jason Warne 5, Mark Rowe 5, Adam Holland 5; Andrew Butler 5, Liam Nicholls 5, Adam Bromley 5, Lewis Prince 5 (sub. Kyle Friendship 5); Carl Rickard 5, Richard Griffin 6.

Newquay (4-4-2): James Merrikin; Aaron Bicknell, Ashley Bradshaw, Chris James, Joff Bunt; Luke Rigby (sub. Josh Harris), Jake Hartigan, Paul Hampshire, Sean Middleton; Luke Weldhen, Paul Robertson.

Referee: Mr Mike Carter (Camborne) 7.

Luke Weldhen was replaced by Scott Palmer after 67 minutes.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Once again, Mr Morse injects some humour into what was obviously a depressing day for anyone connected with the less than ordinary Foxhole.

I normally enjoy his reports but do sense some anti Newquay bias in the last 5 reports of matches between the clubs. In the first 4, Foxhole were apparently the far superior side yet contrived to draw twice and be beaten on the other two occasions.

The Reds have been in full flow for the last 3 months with the exception of the 2 local blips, to say that we were ordinary just smacks of 'lets not give them any credit for dishing out a hammering'. I would go as far as to say that Foxhole were actually very committed and never gave up the fight (literally in some cases) and that they were generally not too bad when they attempted to attack down the right. However, they were given a real footballing lesson by the Newquay Highlanders, Pauls Hampshire and Robertson shone brighter than Edinburgh on New Years Eve, Middsy claimed the middle of the park as his own and Arron Bicknell was given the freedom of the Clay Country as he roamed around picking off defenders at will.

I have no doubt that this will be classed as a blip for the Foxes, quite rightly as they have a good record in Div 1 west, but Newquay were in a different league and deserve to be after what is turning into a great season.

Robertson should immediately be presented with a unmissable opportunity for his fifth

I may be wrong, but I heard that Paul's fifth goal was an excellent finish and very well taken... if so, the words above don't really do it justice and may back up what the Judge is saying. If an 'ordinary' side win 6-2, they must have been doing something right... It almost reads like Robertson's five goals were not enough and Newquay were not up to scratch because they only scored six goals away from home!

To be fair, we could and perhaps should have had double figures, but for the woodwork and some last ditch defending, we would. I'll take 'ordinary' til the end of time !

Guest Peppermint

As always a humorous account by Darin - I would agree with the Judge [does happen sometimes] that Newquay were better than ordinary on Saturday and Foxhole were made to look second rate because of the way the Peppermints played.

I saw Foxhole play St Austell just after Christmas and the Foxes drew 1-1 despite being reduced to nine men in some farcical refereeing decisions. I rate St Austell highly and in Dan Nancarrow and Mike Body they have a striking partnership that most Premier League teams in the Peninsula would envy. So for Newquay to visit Foxhole and come away with a 6-2 win puts them in a bracket that is certainly not ordinary.

On the day besides Paul Robertson you had excellent contributions from Luke Weldhen, Aaron Bicknell, Shaun Middleton and of course Paul Hampshire to name a few.

I suppose that is what sports reporting is all about - opinions! Some people will disagree with my report in the local newpaper today - no doubt.

Subs for Newquay - I have it has Luke Weldhen replaced by Scott Palmer - Jakle Hartigan by Matt Jose and Luke Rigby by Josh Harris.

Once again, Mr Morse injects some humour into what was obviously a depressing day for anyone connected with the less than ordinary Foxhole.

I normally enjoy his reports but do sense some anti Newquay bias in the last 5 reports of matches between the clubs. In the first 4, Foxhole were apparently the far superior side yet contrived to draw twice and be beaten on the other two occasions.

The Reds have been in full flow for the last 3 months with the exception of the 2 local blips, to say that we were ordinary just smacks of 'lets not give them any credit for dishing out a hammering'. I would go as far as to say that Foxhole were actually very committed and never gave up the fight (literally in some cases) and that they were generally not too bad when they attempted to attack down the right. However, they were given a real footballing lesson by the Newquay Highlanders, Pauls Hampshire and Robertson shone brighter than Edinburgh on New Years Eve, Middsy claimed the middle of the park as his own and Arron Bicknell was given the freedom of the Clay Country as he roamed around picking off defenders at will.

I have no doubt that this will be classed as a blip for the Foxes, quite rightly as they have a good record in Div 1 west, but Newquay were in a different league and deserve to be after what is turning into a great season.

maybe your sensing an anti newquay vibe from people because you are constantly talking out your arse when conversing about your beloved newquay!!! if you where ment to be in the LEAGUE above then you would be!! IF you achieve it this season(which I will betmoney you wont) then you can say yopur a league above everyone else until then maybe you should concern yourself with the fact you failed to be a a team from the league below you with your all coquering side!!!

PORTHLEVEN 18 14 1 3 43

PENZANCE 17 13 2 2 41

DOBWALLS 18 11 2 5 35

ST AUSTELL 16 10 5 1 35

NEWQUAY 17 11 1 5 34

as i see it you are a long way of gaining the promotion you would literally do anything to achieve!!!jackass!!

What a numpty ! That little section of the table clearly shows that Newquay can and MAY go up, we have to play both Port & PZ at home after destroying them both away, Dobwalls H & A and St Austell H, Lets see how brave you are, HOW MUCH ARE YOU MONEY ARE YOU PREPARED TO PUT WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS (somewhere at the lower end of your coccyx, if you can't find it, it is just above your brain).

It ain't over til the fat lady sings, and she hasn't even started to warm up yet !

Keep dreaming muppet!!! you prattle on about how great your team is when NOTHING has been achieved there is NO chance of you gaining promotion so you might aswell start thinking of more excusses as to why you should get in through the back door as that is something im sure you are used to recieving...

i watched the pz game and yes you did destroy them , but the port game wat was you watching 1 0 port missed god knows how many chances , , and you aint gonna finish top 3 not consistant enough ,

:clapper::clapper:

at least it only appears to be jude who talks and sees through his arse!!!

So not prepared to back up your big words with any cash then, that speaks volumes about you Sir.

OK, not so much destroyed Port but gave them a bloody nose and now we have their top scorer playing for us. Perhaps if Lee Bradd had not tried too hard to show that he can score at the right end, he may have actually done so. Cracking game though.

putting money on the line would be pointless when i have no intention of being in the same room as you to collect when you are proven wrong!! its not very often i get animated on here but you just constantly try to bellitle other teams that work on a shoestring budget if any at all yet every time you open that big trap of yours about how your team are going to destroy a team invariably you get it wrong my problem is with your attitude not your teams as i know a few of your lads and they are just trying to go about their business in the league yet you insist on gobbiing of at every oppertunity do your lads a favour and keep your mount wise size trap shut!!!! :angry2:

As you obviously know so much about Newquay, you will know our budget is the lowest it has been in the last 20 years or so. Your Foxhole budget must be tiny as you refuse to put any of your playing expenses on Newquay NOT GOING UP !

I think you must be still a little sore after being whoooooped on Saturday !

Get over it mate, you will have your chance to beat us at the 6th attempt in March.

Speaking for the players:

We never go out thinking we are going to destroy a team or belittle any one! All we care aout is playing football and trying to enjoy it! Its very easy for us to do that at the minute as we have a good squad with a good manager who all want the same! ENJOYMENT!

Im not even going to get involved in all this promotion and winning the league! We have beaten Port and PZ but we have also lost to teams below us! See what happens as time goes on!

Darin is entitled to think we are ordinary! I dont really care what people think, anyone who understands the game will know results speak louder then opinions!

The team want to move away from the negative words we get about us on here! We all wanna do well and do it the right way! We are footballers not gob*****s, all this crap that gets flug about the players is unjust. Come speak to any of us we wanna enjoy our football and the CLUB to do well! Not be involved in crap that gets said about US on here!

Well said Ash, the only crap that gets aimed at Newquay are from those who have a dislike for either me, our fans, or the fact that we will speak up for our club, our players and reply to the bollocks that they write.

Players should play and fans have their say... you do your talking on the pitch, it speaks louder than anything I can say, keep up the good work and let us have a little dream of promotion.

The team want to move away from the negative words we get about us on here! We all wanna do well and do it the right way! We are footballers not gob*****s, all this crap that gets flug about the players is unjust. Come speak to any of us we wanna enjoy our football and the CLUB to do well! Not be involved in crap that gets said about US on here!

I have said what i think about the players your troubles come from the penis that is the self proclaimed judge!! He is the one that trys to belittle your opponents after you have played them!I was not there on saturday so cant comment on how the foxes played but was there any need for the tit to come on here gloating in such a sarcastic manner??

Try reading the thread from the top, Darin Morse clearly stated that Newquay were 'Ordinary', now read a bit further and see that Mitch & Peppermint tend to agree with me, are you slating them too or just having a pop at me.

Go away little boy, you've admitted you didn't see the game and therefore cannot comment on it.

Newquay won and Foxhole didn't, end of match report !

Guest Peppermint

Well done Dudas - a voice of reason. This is one of Newqyuay's players posting and if you read postings submitted by Dudas or our Manager Jimbo then it will be very evident that Newquay Football Club are well aware that we have no divine right to be in the Premier League.

The Club would obviously like to be in a position to be promoted but we as a Committee, Managers and Players have no interest whatsoever in getting in the back door.

The Peppermints are certainly not thinking about any league table position at the moment but will see how the season works out because there is a long way to go and there will be many twists and turns before May.

We are very happy with the progress made by our squad and the team is improving all the time and I have reiterated on numerous occasions that Newquay Football Club have a plan and hopefully we can stick to it and whether it takes a year or several years so be it.

That is the 'official view' for want of a better phrase and one of our supporters is entitled to his views and has he states in his postings it is his views and is nothing to do with Newquay officially.

Finally - Darin Morse's report on the game is open to dispute and I saw the match differently and thought Newquay played well enough not to allow Foxhole to play - but it is always a matter of opinion and we all see things differently. I always enjoy Darin's reports and have the utmost respect for him and I am sure anyone reading my report in the Newquay Voice might disagree but that is reporting.

Opinions make the world go around - and I am very happy with how the team is performing and well done to the players and managers.

Judge -

Still you have been good for one thing in Newquay - you have motivated some neutrals to lend their support to Godolphin.

Is that right, perhaps I should give them a map so they can find Godolphin Way as so few seem to have found it so far !

Their you go AGAIN Judge trying to be Mr Controversial when instead you just p*** people off. :SM_carton: Apart from that as far as Newquay AFC is concerned we would love to have the Peppemints in the Premier Division it would be another great place to visit every season and knowing are lot they would want to make it an over night stay. I am sure that a club like yourselves will achieve promotion soon if not this season and as an active commitee member at Witheridge would make everyone YES everyone even you Judge welcome at Edge Down Park when the fixture came about.

Different Division, Different County and Different from the rest of us I would guess.

Not entirely sure why Mr North Devon Dweller has had a pop at me this time, just like the others who hate the fact that I speak my mind and the truth (in my opinion). I may have a go at Truro, Falmouth and St Blazey in the past, with a passing mention going to our nearest neighbours, but how I have upset those across the border, I do not know.

I too look forward to the day we can once again visit North Devon, having had many a good time in Holsworthy, I'm sure the locals of Witheridge will be just as welcoming.

Different Division, Different County and Different from the rest of us I would guess.

Not entirely sure why Mr North Devon Dweller has had a pop at me this time, just like the others who hate the fact that I speak my mind and the truth (in my opinion). I may have a go at Truro, Falmouth and St Blazey in the past, with a passing mention going to our nearest neighbours, but how I have upset those across the border, I do not know.

I too look forward to the day we can once again visit North Devon, having had many a good time in Holsworthy, I'm sure the locals of Witheridge will be just as welcoming.

YOU JUST PISS EVERYBODY OFF FULLSTOP :smiley20: