Cornwall Football Forum

Full (Extra) Time at Bodmin (28/01/2009)

What a great performance last night from our 1st team think 3-1 was a bit flattering for bodmin as the last goal looked offside.

Would of been a different game if when miller caught nanks in the box only for Nanks to stay on his feet to try and reach the ball to slot it home but he did not manage that but(a foul is a foul like someone said last night if you dont go down its still a foul ie if you get elbowed in he face but dont fall to the ground its still a foul).Thought the ref bottled that decision.

Had some good banter with the bodmin goalkeeper (Kevin PIE Eater Miller) i think his name is.

Was surprised by the lack of supporters bodmin had at the game seems they are flying high think the crowd split must of been 80% St Austell 20% Bodmin.

One other note regarding the pitch markings or lack of them !!!!! watching the game from both banks you could hardly see any of the pitch markings was just wandering what other people thought about this seems bodmin got such a good team and set up unless someone forgot to mark the pitch.

Good luck to bodmin in the next round.

I totally agree with you Lee, I thought St Austell was the better team on the night, but unfortunately Bodmin got the result (probably the sign of a good team), I thought the ref for his age and being such a big game done well, his assistants let him down though.

We did have some good banter with Mr Miller and he knows how to give it back, In my opinion he won the game for Bodmin with some excellent saves in extra time.

Well done to the St Austell boys it was an excellent match to watch, Nanks for me was the best player on pitch and was unlucky not to get a goal, but i think all the St Austell players can hold their heads up high as they contested a great match with the best team playing in Cornwall!!!

Good luck to Bodmin in the next round.

Does this explain the pitch markings??

Clarke quits in pitch battle

Wednesday, January 28, 2009, 10:39Comment on this story

BODMIN Town's award-winning groundsman Paul Clarke has quit the club after a dispute with chairman Mike Barbery over the late postponement of last week's Throgmorton Cup quarter-final against St Austell.

Problems between the pair came to a head when Bodmin organised a late pitch inspection by match referee Stephen Paul, seven hours after Clarke thought the tie had been called off.

Clarke says he only discovered Bodmin were still trying to get the game on by holding an inspection 90 minutes before the game was scheduled to kick off when he drove past the ground on his way home from work.

He told Guardian Sport: "I had called in a local referee at 11am because I knew the pitch was flooded. The ref took a look at the surface and said there was no way it was playable."

But, according to Mr Clarke, the referee was called back to the ground to make a 2pm inspection, at which the official again said the pitch was unfit.

The club decided, however, to wait until the match referee arrived at 6pm, by which time players and officials from both sides were setting off for the game.

Mr Clarke says he won't be going back to Priory Park, preferring instead to continue helping out Wadebridge Town with their Bodieve Park pitch on a part-time basis.

Mr Barbery was unavailable for comment when Guardian Sport tried to contact him yesterday afternoon.

● The St Austell tie has been rearranged for tonight at Priory – weather permitting.

Lee, a fair assessment.

Sadly postings from Lafs, Uncle Albert and I were lost when the site went down last night.

I thought St Austell were superb last night and Nancarrow was immense. Chased every ball in the channels, won most of his flicks and put an awesome amount of work in on the night. I dont think they used route one enough though. Boring as it may be, Penhaligons kicking to the front two was causing hell up at the back for Bodmin because of the high line they were playing. This was a dangerous ploy that if it had not been for some poor flagmanship, a chance or two would have been created.

I spoke to Gilby today and whilst he admits they were sluggish due to time off in recent weeks, he was decent enough to admit that St Austell would still have been a difficult game even if they had been flying and fluent. This team are getting some heads turning for sure.

As I said in my posting last night though, I personally see this game as a tale of two managers.

St Austell were dominating in the first half, Wheildon pulling the strings. Taking him off instead of Jay Isbell who had a rare off night and offered very little, changed the game.

Bodmin changed their formation at half time and flooded the midfield stopping the ball to Body and Nanks for a good 20 mins.

Tinsley was quiet on the night too and they boy Douglas (Who should have been sent off in the dying mins for sure!) looked quality when he came on and prob should have replaced Will and not Brokey.

Only my opinions of course.

At the end of normal time, Gilby was on the pitch, team in a huddle and he was shouting, pointing, encouraging players and motivating. Glyn was stood on the side lines in the same pose he adopted from Kick Off.

In fact, if Burts hadnt gone out to gee up the troops, no one would have!

Strange when you have the prem league champions there for the taking.

My fear for St Austell is that the quality they now possess require a proven Senior manager for it all to keep going, they didnt after all sign directly for Glyn. I hope i'm wrong though.

Nancarrow was a class above and had it not been for Simmo time and time again blocking near post crosses with a last gasp lunge, St Austell would have won this comfortably IMO.

The seemingly rotund pair of Hodge and O Hagan were in Whetters pocket all night.

You are right about the crowd, I reckon there were approx 140 with 20 from Bodmin, strange.

Programme was quality for a quid as well!

Guest Uncle Albert

I see quite a lot of Bodmin Town home games and I have to say last night's performance by St Austell was among the best I have seen from a visiting team in several years.

For a team to go to Priory Park and pass the Peninsula League champions off the pitch, and pin them back in their own penalty area for the last 15 minutes, was remarkable.

In my humble opinion, St Austell deserved to win inside the 90 minutes. Congratulations to Glyn Rowett and all of his players for a fantastic effort - keep that level of performance up and promotion is surely on.

Right I'll try again!!

A great advertisement for Cornish football last night and fantastic value for money as the game had almost everything. Credit to Bodmin for getting the game on and great to see such fantastic travelling support for the Lillywhites- a true sign of how far they have come this season as a Club and some deserved reward for the many hard working members of the Poltair commitee.

What was dissapointing was the home support. Never seen it so weak, particulary whilst sitting comfortably at the top of the league as defending champions and on a crisp but dry January, Wednesday evening.

Also further evidence of how unbalanced the SWPL Prem and West League is in its second season as St Austell destroyed Torpoint on Saturday and for all at Priory Park last night to witness, should've and could've beaten the best team in the Prem League.

Must be said that considering a long lay off from match action, Bodmin's players stuck to their job for 120 mins against a much livelier and fitter side and that for me is a sign of a good side when they can grind out results when not on top of their own game. Wouldnt expect anything less from a side under the stewardship of Gilby mind!

St Austell however can take heart from their performance and go on to mount a serious challenge on the 3 remaining fronts they are still competing for and with a little less naivity and a little more composure in the final third, I can see silverware of some sort landing at Poltair Park! Safe to say its been a long enough wait for the Lillywhite faithfull- Brewery Cup at Bickland Park I think was the last time. I played in that game but dont remember the year. Anyone out there help?

Some good performances on show last night, Miller superb in the Bodmin goal, along with Simmonds who was solid at the back but for me Nanks didnt deserve to be on the losing side after an all round fantastic performance. His only mistake of the night was his honesty after being caught by Miller when clean through in the box but stayed on his feet. Shame the two Referee's Assistants were'nt quite so honest in their decision making, not only letting the young man in the middle down but St Austell too. HOW the third goal was aloud to stand I guess we will never know!

A special mention must go out for Andy Parr. What a remarkable man and player he is to still make the game look so simple. Never looked short of any attribute last night and often made the marking and defending against the SWPL's best team look a walk in the park. The man is a legend for me. (Just hope he's fit for our Sunday Vet's game v Hayle Vets!!)

Interesting to read the comments of Soil Sports Ltd regarding the signing of St Austell players back in the summer and their management. I think I will choose to keep my opinions on this subject to myself for now and just wish the Club and its first team players the very best for the remainder of the season. ;)

Best of luck to Bodmin for the rest of the season also.

Lafs

Phil - can't remember when Town last won the Brewery Cup but, nice as that was, don't really count that as proper silverware. That was 1988 - a great 2-0 win over a fine Falmouth side at Mount Wise. St.Austell had a great side that year which finished (I think) 5th in the league (should have been higher) and had a long run in the FA Vase going out in the round before the QF in a replay at Shortwood.

The highlight in 88 was that League Cup win (although an 8-1 win at Bodmin who finished above us in the league came close) and there were some fine players in the team - including captain Jimmy Dent (+ brothers Stuart and Andy), Pete May, John Hughes, Paul Wilsmore, Richard Gibbons, Nigel (bendy legs) Brown, Gary Harrison and top scorer Phil McKenna...where is he now, did I hear he's a copper!!!! Dave Pook was injured for the final and the team was managed by Colin Leakey and Gerry Short with assistance from Derek Silk. Expect I've missed someone but the memory does go with age.

It's about time that some silverware came back to Poltair and the way the boys are playing this could be the season. Unfortunate Senior Cup draw - a very tough game at Port but it could go either way.

I can sympathise with the memory loss thing Tony and im still only in my early 30's! What chance have I got eh!!

The late 80's though were my earliest memory of watching some great football at Poltair Park as I was turning out for Riviera Coaters as a 14 year old at the time and used to love watching the likes of Jimmy Dent play for the first team. Someone did tell me that Phil McKenna became a Copper- what a good player he was also. Was'nt there an Andy Legg there about the same time who was a little nippy winger and Frank Bickle, the son of Mike? Now there was a man who could put a challenge in!!!

As for the Senior Cup draw Tony, St Austell were only beaten once in all Comps before the Bodmin game and that obviously was at the hands of Port, so I see a huge incentive and motivation there to go and exact revenge. Sure it will be a great game and if they go with the same attitude as they took to Bodmin then im sure they will progress to the next round.

Fantastic to see the crowds returning to St Austell Tony and in full support on their travels also. Has a sleeping giant in Cornish football awoken??!!

Think we won the Brewery Cup in 2000/01 season, when my Dad was in charge. We beat Truro in the final at Falmouth 1-0, with myself scoring from a free kick.

Part of the team that day was Gary P and of course a young Phil Lafferty who is now playing vets football for the Western!!

Lee, a fair assessment.

Sadly postings from Lafs, Uncle Albert and I were lost when the site went down last night.

I thought St Austell were superb last night and Nancarrow was immense. Chased every ball in the channels, won most of his flicks and put an awesome amount of work in on the night. I dont think they used route one enough though. Boring as it may be, Penhaligons kicking to the front two was causing hell up at the back for Bodmin because of the high line they were playing. This was a dangerous ploy that if it had not been for some poor flagmanship, a chance or two would have been created.

I spoke to Gilby today and whilst he admits they were sluggish due to time off in recent weeks, he was decent enough to admit that St Austell would still have been a difficult game even if they had been flying and fluent. This team are getting some heads turning for sure.

As I said in my posting last night though, I personally see this game as a tale of two managers.

St Austell were dominating in the first half, Wheildon pulling the strings. Taking him off instead of Jay Isbell who had a rare off night and offered very little, changed the game.

Bodmin changed their formation at half time and flooded the midfield stopping the ball to Body and Nanks for a good 20 mins.

Tinsley was quiet on the night too and they boy Douglas (Who should have been sent off in the dying mins for sure!) looked quality when he came on and prob should have replaced Will and not Brokey.

At the end of normal time, Gilby was on the pitch, team in a huddle and he was shouting, pointing, encouraging players and motivating. Glyn was stood on the side lines in the same pose he adopted from Kick Off.

My fear for St Austell is that the quality they now possess require a proven Senior manager for it all to keep going, they didnt after all sign directly for Glyn. I hope i'm wrong though.

Nancarrow was a class above and had it not been for Simmo time and time again blocking near post crosses with a last gasp lunge, St Austell would have won this comfortably IMO.

The seemingly rotund pair of Hodge and O Hagan were in Whetters pocket all night.

You are right about the crowd, I reckon there were approx 140 with 20 from Bodmin, strange.

PMSL !!!!!!

Lee, a fair assessment.

PMSL !!!!!!

HaHaHaHaHa!!! :yahoo:

i hope glyn reminds his players that its back to the bread and butter of the league now and that they need to perform like weds every game,remember truro 2nds won at bodmin and argyle at arsenal performed well but niether side has won or performed well since.

lafs,i think you mean charlie legg...or was it toeknee :lol:

Thanks Hansome Dan but it wasn't Charlie Legg. He was a little tricky winger with blonde hair if I remember correctly, during the late 80's/early 90's. Over to you Tony????

For me the players will not be damaged by the dissapointment of Wednesday night when they return to league competition as they will know they mixed it well with the SWPL's finest. Ive said this recently already though, they must stop worrying so much about losing and realise they are good enough to beat any SWPL West team on any pitch in order to turn draws into wins. I fear though, that this mentality is probably management influence having watched and listened to events this season.

Lafs - I think the winger you refer to might be Andy Ashton who was there when Bicks was manager. Also in that team was Frank Bickle (Mike's son) who was a hell of a player who never seemed to quite realise his potential.

It would be interesting to hear more old Riviera Coasters stories - there's a hell of a lot of players out there who were with that team over the years and it was, of course, a club formed (I think) by a gang of "bottom bank" St.Austell supporters.

Think we won the Brewery Cup in 2000/01 season, when my Dad was in charge. We beat Truro in the final at Falmouth 1-0, with myself scoring from a free kick.

Part of the team that day was Gary P and of course a young Phil Lafferty who is now playing vets football for the Western!!

I must've overlooked your post on this thread Nanks and let me tell you, you are so asking for a right hook!!

And just for the record, I am still inelegible for Vets football by THREE years and so I just have the pleasure of managing them in the meantime!