Cornwall Football Forum

Bugle

Guest Postie Pidge

Guest Postie Pidge

Zeb, being the anorak that I am, I wanted to take a picture of the famous old stand that Helston copied at their old ground, before it ends up being derelict and/or demolished

well im a bugle boy went to school there played football ther my dad played for bugle and i had a walk around there last year and to be honest im gutted , we had players like garath lobb grahen and les pete trivian, our manager and i still think the best was duncan simpson , we all grew up together lived local and played for bugle straight from school so many memories and now just feel so flat when looking at the picture , i dont think there will ever be football at the ground again , bugle was about my first year in the south western league we won one game all year against st austell away we were just kids and i broke both bones in my left leg against holsworthy mr peter england caught me , but would never change a thing great way to grow up and bugle will alawys be in my heart and ill always be a bugle boy reat in peace jimmer and kevin harris 2 great suppoerters , football on a sat fiew beers with the lasds and fish and chips from deacons reading the evening herold to carch up on the results happy days , alan metters

Bugle afc, Happy memories,and a fine example of what can be achieved with YOUNG LOCAL LADS.As a young schoolboy i can remember bugle struggling season after season at the bottom of the south western league being beaten by double figures quite often but always a friendly club and would always make you welcome,i can still remember kicking around with the superb saltash/falmouth and st austell sides of the early 70,s.

But come the end of the seventies quite a lot of us young boys would be given our opportunity to put on those black and white stripes and perform for this lovely club and in the early 80,s Bugle eventually won the south western league.

Sadly this success (despite still giving local lads like a certain nigel martin their senior debuts)was probably their downfall as the the village club struggled to fund the side and money offers to quality boys tempted them away.

Good memories of many good friends(sadly some like jimmer no longer with us).

I think the last time a men's team played at Molinnis was in 2003. Grampound played there in March that year in a Duchy League fixture but I the club folded at the end of that season if I remember rightly. The pitch was rough even then but certainly recoverable with a bit of TLC. The stand, though, was derelict with broken glass on the changing room floor , no running water etc and what I understand was the old clubhouse, opposite the stand, was burnt out. I believe that some youth football carried on there after 2003.

A real shame. Lots of village clubs would give anything for the potential in what is here even now.