Cornwall Football Forum

Senior Cup Draw

Usually the following Thursday after the weekend of matches, it is not done any sooner because the County like to see all the paperwork (teamsheets) to see that there has not been any rules broken and teams do not need to be removed or reinatated into the competition.

Shame really, I do not see why it can't be done like other Counties (straight after the matches and live on the radio) but I guess that'll never change.

Guest Peppermint

That is interesting if it is on Radio Cornwall because their Sports News this morning at about 8.45am contained endless reports and snippets of commentary about a number of rugby matches and a moan from Chris Webb about a non event - the postponement of Truro City's match against Paulton. Absolutely nothing regarding the main cup competition in the County - ie the Senior Cup.

Although the personnel has changed and Ms Vardy has been banished somewhere else the same old format continues.

Spot on Graham.

Saturday morning 7.45 am R/C Sports News.

Comprehensive Rugby analysis.

News on Andy Murray's progress 'down under'.

FA Cup round up and the fact that Argyle had a Saturday off.

No mention of the Senior Cup what's so ever.

Why do i listen to such rubbish, i really must get a life. !!! :(

Guest Peppermint

If we want reports on league and FA Cup matches we can tune into Radio 5 - the local BBC Station should concentrate on local clubs etc.

Again if we want news of an overated Scottish tennis player who was pre tournament favourite for the Australian Open we will tune into the national station - he got knocked out this morning so much for being favourite!

Guest Postie Pidge

When he wins he's Scottish, when he loses he's British.

I know Jamie is trying but there aren't as many reporters at football matches and it is mostly Truro after all. Two local derbies in the Senior Cup - were any of them covered by Radio Rugby?

Sadly,the demise of Ms Vardy has had little effect on the the local coverage of football.Yes,I appreciate that Truro are at the top of the pile,but the other senior leagues seem to non-existent.Like most others I tune in at 5 pm,more in hope than expectation: I know that League officials have taken the trouble to collate and phone in results:but to little or no avail.

Is there any likelyhood of any improvement?-I rather think not.Have they any intention of covering more local Leagues.

I don't know...but I think we should be told!

Guest Peppermint

Yes I agree with Postie Pidge that Jamie Reed is trying and is a much better presenter than Ms Vardy but unfortunately because she or the powers that be at the Station treated very good reporters like Tom Trust, Dave Deacon and Ken Reed with, in some cases, with utter contempt then it is no wonder that Radio Cornwall has no reporters.

On a personal note the cricket coverage used to be a half hourly update but that was even axed last season.

If they had an iota of common sense they would go humbly to Dave, Ken and Tom and beg them to come back - but I cannot see the hiearchy at Radio Cornwall actually doing something that the general listening public wants.

Sorry everyone - rant over.

Can I just add to this post that I wasn't actually treated badly or anything by BBC Radio Cornwall, but decided to pack up during the summer out of my own choice.

However, I had to laugh on Saturday ... I went to watch the Illogan RBL v Truro City Senior Cup match and at half-time was approached by a spectator who assumed I was "working" at the match (the word working is in inverted commas, because I never looked upon it as work, it was such good fun).

I asked him what he meant and he thought I was there doing something for Radio Cornwall. I had to put him right in that I haven't been on the radio all season. In jest I then said to him that he obviously doesn't listen to the programme any more, and he agreed! I fear that case for a lot of people.

However, the good news is that at present there is something being worked on with regard to a kind of alternative to Radio Cornwall's football coverage. We'll keep you posted as and when things develop further. Because as I use to look for your help in the past with results, bits of gossip, rumours and results - you might well be pestered again soon!

I emailed Radio Cornwall today with reference to their football coverage on a Saturday afternoon (or lack of as the case may be). Anyone who is interested in contacting the station about content can do so at:

pauline.causey@bbc.co.uk

Maybe if they receive a few pointers the licence payers may get what they want :clapper:

Westinsure Cornwall Senior Cup Quarter Finals to be played on Saturday 21st February 2009 Kick Off 2.00pm unless floodlights are available.

Penryn Athletic v Truro City

Porthleven v St Austell

Callington Town v Perranporth

Saltash United or Dobwalls v Perranwell