Cornwall Football Forum

Does anyone know the answer ?

It seems that Dean Windass picked up his third red card in a game for kicking a corner flag (slightly different circumstances though!)

Dean Windass (for Aberdeen vs. Dundee United, 9/11/1997)

Evergreen striker Dean Windass struts his stuff with Hull City in the English Premier League a decade after he played in the Scottish equivalent with Aberdeen. But the Dandies had to do without their star striker for six games after the Yorkshireman contrived to get sent off three times in the one game.

First he picked up a second booking for a foul; then he mouthed off to the referee, resulting in a second red; and the cherry on top was when he saw a third for kicking the corner flag. Windass spent six games on the sidelines.

Guest Postie Pidge

Ruel Fox did that for Newcastle around 1995 (it was shown on Fantasy Football League - what a great programme that was!) and he went to pick the ball up before realising it was in play and an opponent had to touch it. Basically if the ball moves then it's in play

I remember doing that down at Treliske hospital pitch. (Now the car park) The idiot groundsman had put on 6" quadrants. The idiot player placed the ball inside it.

Twisted my ankle and so the hospital was quite handy.

(Actually didn't need the hospital but it was reassuring)

The ball should be in play if it's actually kicked. I suppose if the corner flag hits it, not the player, (hard to believe) it doesn't count.

the corner flag is in the playing area if the ball does not got beond the playing lines and out then it is pay just as a linesperson say what a **** but whisper it ? if the ball stays in the playing area then its live and the game goes on no foul commited so its only a foul if the ball goes

out side the lines after a contact by the player taking the kick its simple really metts

Guest Cornishdave1980

Even though the ball entered the field of play the Referee was correct to retake the corner. I can’t remember the exact terminology but basically the ball cannot be played with the assistance of a foreign object i.e. corner post whether intentional or not! It may assist in the player gaining an unfair advantage.

Did the flag stay routed after being kicked?

Metts, use a spell checker before posting! Would save having to re-read your post several times.

I guess it depends on whether or not the players foot made contact with the ball after he kicked the corner flag...................... or was it the corner flag that hit the ball into the area after he kicked the flag?

If it was just the corner flag that hit the ball then it would need to be retaken otherwise you'll get players using a pitching wedge to loft a corner in.