Cornwall Football Forum

WHO IS/WAS BETTER Tamarside or Plymouth Parkway

Who is/was the better Tamarside who won promotion from Division One in 2006-7 or current Division One leaders Plymouth Parkway?

Records

Tamarside 26 24 2 0 103 23 74 (2006-7)

Plymouth Parkway 17 17 0 0 84 18 51 (2008-9)

Guest st george9

both good teams but hard to judge? was the standerd better or worse when tamerside won .. and parkway have yet to drop points but still have us to play yet :D

Good topic.

Having been lucky enough to have watched both teams play I would say that Parkway were slightly the better team. It will be interesting to see if they are able to hold on to all of their players as Tamarside unfortunately weren't able to.

Having not seen the league table myself, how far ahead are Parkway and when can they officially, mathematically win the league?? Can't be long!!!!

I think you will find if Parkway get promoted players will stay as it will give them the opportunity to play quality teams in the Premier division.

In reply to the original question I would say it is a close call. Both teams play attractive football. Can Parkway remain undefeated till the end of the season ? I think they will drop points

Having watched Parkway a few times this season it is clear that they could all play at a higher level then the ECPL, which is not that great a league with all due respect. There is only a handful of decent teams in that league, and a big gulf between the top and bottom teams.

I think this is a great topic... realistically i feel that This owuld be a great geam if it was to be played and would be an interesting result. As it has been mentioned Tamerside were a class siade with great players who are now playing at a higher level, some even showing signs of going higher again.

Having said this Parkway for me just have that liittle bit more about them, all the players could play higher and earn money but have chosen not too well apart from the odd one....... They have class in all areas and if you think of class at any standars these players can and some point have or will play higher.

At present they will be staying together they have made it clear they want to be in the South West leagues and they want to be the team to beat in all levels of football.

Tamerside were class but couldnt keep the players ... Parkway are class and can keep the players so in my eyes thats what makes Parkway the beter side....

Having seen many SWPL and ECPL games this season I think Spod does the ECPL a disservice about its standard. The ECPL standard continues to surpise me and yes there are teams who struggle with some of their lesser players as to be expected but by and large it is a good standard to watch in both divisions. There are a number of SWPL teams who would actually struggle in the ECPL - so I think the comments are a little unfair.

As far as the posted topic is concerned there seems to be a trend implying the Tamarside players left to go to a higher standard. Yes most of them did but it was only because the manager could not commit himself to another season that the players decided not to stay. The club also had a terrible time financially as they virtually received no income. Tamarside is still a terrific club with a very strong youth development and I am sure they will appear in senior football again.

Guest TAVILAD

I heard that Tamarside struggled to get a team towards the end as there players lost interest and after the cup final against Torpoint they still could've have won the league . Parkway are with out doubt a good side and are flying high , but have they really been tested?!! Imean they lost to bodmin in the cup this season who are half way in the prem. Look out next year parkway then we will see how good you are??

If I am not wrong, Bodmin were top of the Prem Div at the time and they put out a pretty decent side. They have declined since. I wouldn't put to much emphasis on that particular result.

I seem to remeber reading on here i think, about how darren gilbert and luke hodge both scored wonder goals in that particular game, so thats probably a good indication of the strength of side Bodmin put out!!!

Tamarside were a great side and won Division 1 easily but when the going got tough in the Premier league and the big games came around, it was almost a case of "Spot the regular" as the side was usually scattered with players from other teams. Do Parkway do this???

No we dont. Are manager believes that the 17 he has are good enough to win trophies and does not feel the need to bring in tom, **** and harry. So for the rest of this season and next year in the Premier i can safely say it wont be a case of 'spot the regular'!!

Bodmin v Parkway

Yes Parkway did loose to a team who is now in mid table. What they did to defeat Parkway was to bring in a couple of 1st team players to make sure they did not get knocked out and if my memory serves me right it was 2-1.

Parkway also do not need to bring in players, if they do, they have the option to bring in players from the 3rd team, to win games. They have not done it yet this season even when they were short due to Devon Youth games.

Are they good enough for the Premier Division ? When they are promoted I think they will do very well. Yes, it will be hard. But that is why they joined the League so that they can play against the best. Mid table in the first season will be a brilliant achievement.

Good luck for the rest of the season Parkway.

PS John still owes £2 for not wearing the proper kit at the home game against Nanpean.

Mr Potatoehead, in reply to your post.....

Yes Parkway did lose Bodmin 2nds in the cup, but guessing by that post you were not at the game.

Bodmin struggled for large parts of the game, who at that point in time where top of the ECPL.

THey had a very strong side out that included 1st team players and players who had left Wadebridge first team at the end of the sesaosn after winning the Weat league. Bodmin had two defenders from bodmin 1st and one from wadebridge 1st. they also had Nick Dowling who is assistant manager of the 2nd string odmin side but nun the less has played for Bodmin 1st for many seasons and the league winning wadebrdige side.

ALso they brought on the Bodmin player manager and Cornwall captain Darren Gilbert when they were under the cosh.......

ALso they had (the name i cant remember) starting upfront who played all season maybe two seasons for Bodmin 1st upfront.

Now despite these players they are a strong side, with out these so reflecting back on this that side would so very well in any league let alone the ECPL.

SO yes Parkway did lose but despite all this they gave thema great game on a sun drenched pitched that just goes to show they can cope at any level........

Oi Trigger!

Get some work done and by the way have a word with yourself about your spelling....call yourself a teacher!!??!!

I never got to see much of the old Tamarside team, but knowing the players and knowing most of the Parkway boys pretty well, I'd say any comparison would be unrealistic.

Most of the Tamarside boys play regular football in the higher leagues, yet not many of the Parkway second team have been able to hold down a regular spot in their first team over the past 5 years or so. (For whatever, various reasons).

However, the spirit and knowledge they have about each other's games makes them more formidable than they might be otherwise...sum of the parts and all that. They have proved their stickability as most of them have been there forever and are unlikely to be pulled away by the likes of other Plymouth based SWPL teams who might be able to afford ££ a game.

Some players will come and go from every team/club and they are no different, just that they have a stable foundation and structure behind them, (Parkway have had only one change of management at senior level ((Gez to Lenny)) in the past 10 years) part of a good club that takes care of them and the ones who are able to recognise this have stayed loyal for a long time.

Tamarside is a great club with fantastic coaches in their junior set up and provide most of Argyle's youth teams with players. Most of their players grow up with ambition and have shown that by trying to play in as high a standard as they can; given that their most senior club are unfortunate not to have the kind of facilities that others have means it's very difficult to fulfill that ambition with their favoured club.

Both great clubs, one with great senior facilities and one with great junior coaching set up...I've been telling Darren and Rowlsey to join forces for 10 years!. A partnerhsip between these two clubs would see a set up that could eventually rival Truro..or pass them on their way back down!

Guest sonny jim

Why on earth would we want to join forces with tamerside dudds, we have 16 youth teams in our

set up, the biggest in devon, we are the highest level of charter club, i think we will be just fine without them thanks :thumbsup:

Guest tamarside fc fan

I cant believe that people are asking who is better.Tamarside had there time,now Parkway are having there time,really think tside would have stayed together if there pitch was up to the correct standard to go higher and progress as a club.It would be a great game if both clubs played against each other wouldnt want to call that one.If im correct didnt Foster play for Tside a few times.

I just think we should remember that Tamarside were the first Plymouth based club to make the move across the water in the ECPL and set the standard for every other Plymouth team to follow,you are allways going to get people comparing clubs,thats not a bad thing.

Im pleased Parkway are doing so well,and wish them all the best for the future.

I cant believe that people are asking who is better.Tamarside had there time,now Parkway are having there time,really think tside would have stayed together if there pitch was up to the correct standard to go higher and progress as a club.It would be a great game if both clubs played against each other wouldnt want to call that one.If im correct didnt Foster play for Tside a few times.

I just think we should remember that Tamarside were the first Plymouth based club to make the move across the water in the ECPL and set the standard for every other Plymouth team to follow,you are allways going to get people comparing clubs,thats not a bad thing.

Im pleased Parkway are doing so well,and wish them all the best for the future.

You are right i did play for them on a few occasions, and i enjoyed it each time i played.

Guest A LEGEND!

To be fair i do get the feeling that this team will stick together for a long time and will have a great future theres something about them when i've watched them play. a group of friends playing together always helps

Guest tamarside fc fan

I watched you play for them foz thought you played well,and i know Pottsy was pleased with your performaces,sometimes get alittle bit fed up when people go on about who is,or was better,does it really matter.

Tamarside ECl div 1 side were mainly the same side that won the under 18s league,and the under 18s cup 2 years before,you couldnt get a closer team of mates,im just glad i had the chance to play football with them.

I hope Parkway can go on and win the league without dropping any points,records are there to be broken good luck and enjoy.

Guest tamarside fc fan

Forgot to mention when Tamarside won the league they played nearly 40 games,league and cup so i can see why Pottsy felt he had to bring players in and rest players,but the players he brought in were all ex Tamarside a part from fozy i think he is mates with guy powney.

When Tside won the cup they played over 40 games,come the end players were picking up injuries yes they mite of had a chance to win the league but to be fair Torpoint deserved it.We were a few points behind them and i couldnt see them dropping that many.Im not trying to make any excuses but when youve played 40 games on a saturday and 30 on a sunday the joints and muscles start to get alittle sore.

I can remember some of are players were playing saturday,sunday,monday and wednesday come the end it was a very demanding season,but at the end of the day thats football..........

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tamarside fc fan

Roche 3 Parkway 2.

Does this mean Tamarside are a better side?i wonder

The mark of a good side is a team that can grind out a result even when there not playing well.

Guest TAVILAD

Well it looks like this argument has come to an end!! Tamarside never lost a league match , so as the record stands they are the better side without doubt.!! Maybe this has been a lesson learned for the parkway lads who have been over confident and shouting off about this topic??

Well it looks like this argument has come to an end!! Tamarside never lost a league match , so as the record stands they are the better side without doubt.!! Maybe this has been a lesson learned for the parkway lads who have been over confident and shouting off about this topic??

Thats a little harsh tavilad. None of the parkway team have commented on this subject apart from foz06 who only stated that we are not a team who is going to bring in ringers and that he enjoyed His cameo appearances for tamarside. Would hardly say thats "the parkway lads over confident and shouting off"!

For the record, we have no complaints about the defeat to roach. We were beten by a better side on the day. Obviously we are dissapointed to have lost our 100% record but as its stands its only 3 points dropped. Promotion is the target set by the club and we are still on course for a sucessful season.

I posed the question for discussion and a fair amount of discussion there has been. There are always going to be people who will post silly comments but by and large I think the question has seen some good responses. There is a long way to go to the end of the season and what if Parkway win the remainder of their games.

My own view is that having seen both sides play my leaning is slightly towards Tamarside simply because they had Carter. Who knows but thanks for all the input. Lets wait to the end of the season.