Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results Thread

Here are the matches fixtured for today, weather permitting. Can you post the scores, scorers and attendances please so I can update the website quickly over the weekend. Cheers

CTB

Cornwall Combination League

17th January 2009 (2:30pm)

HAYLE RESERVES (Matt Thomas) 1-3 ILLOGAN RBL (Ryan Treloar, Adam Calloway, Adam Cowper)

Att - 22

HOLMAN SC (Tom Hogarth, Richard Caroll) 2-4 HELSTON ATHLETIC (Neil Southall, Shane Abrahams, Darren Robertson, Colin Kettle)

Att - 15

LUDGVAN (Jo Osborn) 1-4 PORTREATH (Dell Allen, Jason Buckley, Adam Johns, OG)

Att - 20

MULLION (Chris Ensink) 1-1 ST JUST (Tim George)

Att - 27

PORTHLEVEN RESERVES 0-2 PERRANWELL (Matt Rose 2)

Att - 56

RNAS CULDROSE (Chri Morris) 1-0 PENZANCE RESERVES

Att - 17

ST AGNES (Tom Benny, Paul Dabell) 2-3 FALMOUTH TOWN RESERVES (Steve Kellow 2, Bryn Wheeler)

Att - 40

ST DAY 0-4 NEWQUAY RESERVES (Jamie Tipton 2, Mike Rabone2)

Att - 35

ST IVES TOWN 0-1 PERRANPORTH (Kayne Trevaskis)

Att - 30

Holmans 2 - 4 Helston

Attendance 15

Holmans Goalscorers

Tom Hogarth

Richard Caroll

A Game of 2 halves with the wind playing a big part. Helston found themselves 0-3 up in the first 15 min with some well taken goals and sloppy defending from the home side. Holmans had a couple of chances but some good saves and poor finishing prevented Holmans from reducing the deficit and found themselves 0-4 down at half time.

The home side were camped in Helstons half in the 2nd period of play but could not find the early opening required due to some good defending from Helston. A Tom Hogarth penalty and Richard Carroll scramble was not enough and the away side avenged last weeks defeat to make the honours even 1 win apiece.

Theres only one Michael @Mitch' Rabone, one Micky Rabone !!!!

Nice goals, nice result, good form. God bless Newquay reserves.

I still get the results on my wireless at the old peoples home. I used to play football once, I tell my grand kids !

Cant wait to read the report 'Mitch'.

hayle 1-3 illogan!

not to good of a game ruined by the wind and a shocking referee!! sayin that the hayle linesman wasnt much better!! illogan missed several decent chances, simon ellis playin well for the away team!

so much for sportsmanship, several first teamers walked straight of at the end without shaking hands!!!

St Day 0 - 4 Newquay

Newquay were looking to pick up their first away win at St Day, although they had won both the league and cup encounters earlier in the season at Mount Wise. The game went ahead despite some saturated areas of the pitch - the groundsman did an excellent job to ensure that they game went ahead given the poor weather conditions. St Day won the toss and opted to play with the strong end-to-end wind.

With Orrin Crowle representing (and scoring for) Cornwall Youth and David Rabone absent, Michael Rabone and local youngster Jamie Tipton led the Newquay forward line.

Within a matter of minutes Newquay forged an opening, a loose ball in the area fell to Michael Rabone who flashed a shot across goal and just wide of the far post. Paul Robertson (who made an outstanding debut last week) looked to create an opening but was thwarted by Paul Hoskins in the St Day goal who forced the ball out for a corner.

Sustained pressure on the left wing from Ash Bradshaw resulted in a pinpoint cross into the area and Michael Rabone should have hit the target with his header from fifteen yards. Bradshaw then thought that he had scored the opener when his right wing corner went straight in at the near post, however, the referee adjudged that Rabone had obstructed the goalkeeper, although there appeared to be no contact in the goalmouth.

A critical moment followed as Newquay took the lead. Following a slick move between Roberston and Bradshaw, Bradshaw looked to curl a pass into the corner to Michael Rabone. Rabone appeared to be offside as the St Day defender, who was attempting to block the pass, deflected the ball straight into his path - Rabone ignored the shouts for offside and the assistant's flag and calmly slotted the ball over the advancing goalkeeper. A lengthy discussion between the referee and the assistant followed and the goal stood.

It wasn't long before Newquay had added a second, Shaun Lawrence expertly lifted the ball over the St Day defence and although Jamie Tipton had his first attempt blocked by the goalkeeper, he managed to outjump the 'keeper to win the rebound and head home from ten yards. A booking for St Day's centre midfielder soon followed after a crude challenge on Tipton from the restart. St Day were becoming increasingly frustrated by their inability to use the conditions to their advantage, although Tom Rosenfeld may have done better when well placed in the area, opting to shoot rather than take a touch.

Newquay looked to press home the advantage and another pinpoint cross from Bradshaw was headed agonisingly past the far post by the unmarked Rabone. St Day finally gathered some momentum and were rewarded with a free-kick right on the edge of the Newquay area after Matt Davis was adjudged to have committed a foul. The referee was well placed to make a judgement yet only issued Davis with a yellow card when he appeared to be the last man. The resulting free kick was lifted perfectly over the Newquay wall by Ricky Smith and appeared to be heading for the top corner until Newquay goalkeeper James Merrikin managed an outstanding save, tipping the ball over the bar at full stretch. A series of corners followed and although the conditions made the flight of the ball unpredictable, St Day were unable to create an opportunity. From a resulting goal kick from Merrikin, the ball dropped to St Day's centre back who was fully forty yards from goal. His low strike appeared destined for the bottom corner until it deviated wide of the far post.

St Day had the majority of the possession in the final five minutes and failed to use the conditions to their advantage. Newquay went in at half-time very pleased with their two goal advantage in tough conditions.

The strong weather conditions meant that Newquay had the ideal opportunity to press home their advantage in the second half. Paul Robertson was outstanding and used the ball effectively in the midfield with Shaun Lawrence. Their efforts were rewarded when a move down the right resulted in a low cross being drilled home with a left foot drive from Jamie Tipton for his second. That allowed Newquay breathing space and St Day were unable to create any genuine opportunities against the strong wind. Paul Robertson continued to create opportunities and given his ability in front of goal, he will feel that he should have converted a second goal for the club in consecutive games.

Newquay finally added a fourth goal when a long throw was flicked on in the area by Rabone and although the ball was blocked by the St Day 'keeper, the ball dropped favourably and Rabone turned and smashed the ball home from six yards for his second goal of the game, much to the delight of the away fans that had made the journey to support their side.

Newquay looked to add a fifth, despite the best efforts of Andy Harris, who attempted an outrageous back-heel at the near post and Adam Weller, who attempted to return a clearance from the goalkeeper from forty yards, the goal eluded them. The most outstanding contribution of the second half came from St Day goalkeeper Paul Hoskins, who made two outstanding saves, the first from Jamie Tipton at the near post to deny his hat-trick and the second from Paul Roberton, who twisted and turned and lifted a curling chip that looked destined for the top corner until Hoskins intervened with an outstanding save that was applauded by every spectator observing.

James Merrikin was called into action in the final minute and made a good save to deny St Day a consolation and in the process secured another clean sheet. The defensive line of Weller, Hazeldine and Davis has proven a major factor in the turnaround in results for Newquay in recent months.

Man of the match - Jamie Tipton - thoroughly deserved his two goals after a hard working display.

Attendance - 35, courtesy of Judge et al!

Guest Peppermint

Thanks for the usual comprehensive report Mitch - you are far too modest about your contribution to another excellent win. Buy the Newquay Voice on Wednesday for a true reflection of Mitch's contribution!!!!!!!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

I think Mitch runs around scoring goals whilst having a microphone strapped to his head to record the match as it happens, what a reporter !

Credit to all those from Mount Wise who braved the howling gale and took advantage of the wonderful balcony overlooking the pitch, cracking view of the match from one end of the ground. Credit also to the groundsman who used the sand sparingly but effectively and to all the players of both sides very a smashing game when it would have been easier to just hoof it for 90 mins.

mitch

as always, a thorough and fair report of the game. we at St Day are glad to see the back of newquay after playing them three times this season with nothing to show for it in return. a credit to newquay who are an ever improving side that work hard as a unit and have what looks like an excellent team spirit. it is this team spirit that gels a side together to grind out results and we wish them all the best for the rest of the season.

mitch you should give yourself more credit, you are an outstanding player who works hard all game. the modesty you show in your reports are a credit to you too. i personally would have given you the man of the match. your hold up play and distribution was awesome yesterday. I suppose it is hard to write yourself up with the thought of what others might see as being big headed.

see you at eden for the oasis concert buddy.

hayle 1-3 illogan!

not to good of a game ruined by the wind and a shocking referee!! sayin that the hayle linesman wasnt much better!! illogan missed several decent chances, simon ellis playin well for the away team!

so much for sportsmanship, several first teamers walked straight of at the end without shaking hands!!!

Think u may want to look at ur own linesman before slating others mate. Ur linesman couldnt make a call to save his life, everytime the illogan players shout at him the flag went up. As for sportsmanship again look at ur team as well bud wasnt all hayle fair enough a few did walk off and i think u will find that theplayers concerned did shake the illogan players hands afterwards as i was one of the players. Get facts right before havin ago bud

A draw was the right result in gale force winds of variable direction. Tim George finished well at the far post for the opener for the Tinners after 15 minutes and the equaliser came from "that boy enners" when a header didn't carry far enough. St Just bossed the first, Mullion the second half chances, except the last five minutes when the Tinners came close to a winner. Nice for me to get back on track in the prediction league....

Guest Peppermint

Well done St Day No 1 - what a great posting and despite your defeat that is what sportsmanship is all about. Your are correct as well Mitch is one of the unsung heroes of the team and he will get the deserved praise in the newspaper report this week.

St Day's No.1, Peppermint, Judge - thanks! Glad you enjoyed the match report. I will make sure that I grab a copy of the voice to read about my toe punt and the tap in from four yards! :D

Sheeeebo - how embarrasing?! I was so shocked at making my first start in a few weeks that I went the whole of the first half without any shin pads on! Not very sensible but even after a fifty-fifty I still didn't notice... I'm sure I won't live that down for a while...

Paul - will look forward to catching up soon, thanks bud. If you continue making saves like that then I think you will do absolutely fine for the rest of the season.

mitch dont worry!! i made the mistake of only wearing one pad for a whole game once!!

That's got to be better than one glove! I happened to have the only pair of long socks in the whole kit bag on, so I personally blame the kitman...! It's funny how I can remember all of the key moments from games but I forgot my shinpads this week, left my boots in the changing room last week and I hadn't seen a goal for weeks! :wacko:

Guest Cowkicker

draw was a fair result,both teams had their chances-apart from the goal that mullion had dissallowed 10mins from time,2 players of side but the scorer came from an onside position round the back!

Rodney `Isaac Rosenboring` Beer wasn`t running the line was he? No wonder he`s back on track with his Combo prediction if he was.

Sorry to disappoint you, Cowkisser, I wasn't.

I don't think I was involved in a single controversy all day. Rolo didn't even crap on the pitch. The guys from the Mullion dugout were perfectly delightful, although there was a funny little woman in a bobble hat there who called us St Just inbreds. I could have consoled her that we were therefore enjoying carnal relations with people who loved us.

Maybe she does not get such opportunities very often, but bitter jealousy is so unattractive, especially in a bobble hat.

Of course, I won't comment on Enners' view of the disallowed goal, except to say that, unlike either of us, Mr John Curnow, an excellent referee's assistant, was right in line when his flag went up. Referee Alan Hoon also had an excellent game and deserves our praise and support.

:c:

isaac

Your posts are brilliant and very educational for those studying a degree in english literature, but please proof read your posts before adding them, in your last post you said "Referee Alan Hoon also had an excellent game" which of course everyone knows is impossible.

please don't depart our shores and keep posting on our beloved website, even if it is for tounge in cheek purposes.