Cornwall Football Forum

Potential title deciders

In the next few weeks we see St Dennis meet St Teath for the 1st time this season, as well as the massive Edgcumbe v Torpoint.

If results go certain ways it could have a huge say on who ends up winning the title or it could just be a case of 'as we were'. With the pressure on St dennis and Torpoint to get results, how do people see the games going?

Pensilva will probably have a big say in who wins it as will all the other sides in the league, but i cant see them actually winning it this year being 19 points behind the leaders, although they are a good side.

Personally think St dennis will beat St Teath, and i expect Edgcumbe to beat Torpoint at home after beating them away without even playing well.

We still have to go to altarnun first and that is a local derby for us.Could see player movements both to and from the club in the next couple of weeks,Addie jeffs possible ban 35 days in feb need to address that if evereything works out the second team could be a lot stonger in key areas as well.St Dennis as i have said before are getting stronger, look at there recent results scoring goals for fun.

Just to add to the comments. Saints worked very hard against a good Torpoint side and will say they are the best team i have seen this year, (havent seem edgcumbe) but haven't been pushed the last couple of weeks and could have doubled both scores with the chances we have created. We have far from played at our best so beware.

Just to add to the comments. Saints worked very hard against a good Torpoint side and will say they are the best team i have seen this year, (havent seem edgcumbe) but haven't been pushed the last couple of weeks and could have doubled both scores with the chances we have created. We have far from played at our best so beware.

Edgcumbe are the miles better than Torpiont but as they say it's all on the day.

Guest gunniplayer

i think gunni may have a bigger saying in the "big 4" title chances, then people mite think. we stil have play st dennis twice egdcumbe and torpoint at home and st teath away respectively.

out of the 3 games we have played against the big 4 i would have to say edgcumbe have the best chance in winning the league.

Gunniplayer is right, always a tough place to go an get points, will be interesting to see what has transpired by the end of this month as the top 6 teams all have some real hard fixtures, if Gunnislake do well through to the end of January they will be in the hunt, if they do badly there seasons pretty much over. I agree though this is the most interesting this league has been for a while, all the top teams have the ammunition to beat each other....

St Teath will be a mid table team if we finish 4th or 5th,that could well be the case.I have no doubt that we are the most inconsistant of the challengers,teams need how to learn to be winners all the time.St Dennis have that and so do Edgecumbe dont think we have learnt that bit yet.Hard at the moment trying to decide whether to bring in available players or let the exsisting squad rise to the challenge.It really is make or break at St Teath ,will make a decision after saturday which way we go.I would be a lot happier if 3 got promoted.

Hi garf not ringers mate players that played for us before and moved on for a season thats all,i agree all the lads i have got at the moment are good players .Hopefully they will prove that but i am sure that as a manager you would be tempted to strenghing or increase the squad.Not LOOKING to get rid of anyone but cant play all 14 of the present squad some may be unhappy thats all i am saying

I agree turkish problem is players dont understand that, and some think they are a little better than they actually are.I think the lads at edgecumbe are full of winners and i know the team at st dennis have plenty of spirit ,my lads are learing fast will be a good season no doubt.

Guest tafc.-gaffa

its a bit quiet on the torpoint front, thought tafc-gaffa would have something to say about this. mind you i also heard all torpoint players have been 'banned' from this website due to embaressing the club!

Dont be stupid macca,no one has been banned!!!!!!

Just glad your confident,as we know the game at your place decides our season so we are coming for a win and a win only!!!!

We have a tough game against Looe tomorrow and will focus on that first!

good wins for st dennis and st teath yesterday.

i was hoping one of you would slip up!!!!!

well done though, at least one of you will drop points this week!

what will be the outcome?

im going to back a score draw which would be great for us!

i see pensilva are getting a few wins now too!!

Guest Turkish

That's the difference between a Winner and a Loser!!!

Oh right, what have you won then.

South Western League twice, Cornwall Senior Cup 4 times, League Cup twice, Charity Cup Once. Plenty of Runners Up medals though :(:(

What about you?

Bloody hell turkish are you still available ,respect your posts from now on.St Teath battled hard yesterday at Altarnun ,few harsh words between players and manager seemed to galvanise the spirit.St Dennis will be a tough test they score lots of goals we defend pretty well in most games ,confident the players will give everything .A gap apperaring now with 4 teams getting away .Edgecumbe deffineatly favorites all they have to do is beat the other three in the race to have a cushion to win the title,pressure on the rest to hold on.

Guest Turkish

Wish i was mate. Retired too early. Just starting to get into watching games now, but it's nowhere near the same. Especially when the brain still thinks you can do it but the body disagrees

Skyblue you boys are a quality outfit pressure very much on all of us,might be better for us if you play Bigdawg at right back!(only joking mate).The lads at Altarnun played out of there skins yesterday but they always do against us ,we have to do the same at St Dennis i prefer to be the underdog.

Turkish i know what you mean my body gave up the ghost along time ago ,problem is i think the heads going the same way,why else would i do this job,if your ever at one of our games make yourself known and we will have a pint.I will say that of all the teams we have meet this year apart from the usual stuff when you have been beaten, has respect for each other and that is great.Good luck to Garf and his team on saturday.And the edgecumbe boys of course!

Guest Turkish

I will Kitbag, although i rarely make the journey down your way. I'm from Plymouth and normally watch games this way. You never know though, and i'm sure you would know me, i certainly know some of the (older) people you have mentioned on here before. Got to admit i've never been tempted by management, but i admire the people that do. Keep at it mate, the game is losing true football people too quickly.

little things could have a big say in the title race however, such as games being called off, cup runs etc. Cant believe our game was off saturday, didnt see the pitch myself but watched torpoint ecpl and there pitch was in great shape, dont see how ours wasnt. and with all the fixtures already decided for feb i dunno when we'll get our match in v st mawgan. luckily we have floodys i guess.

big week this week though with st dennis v st teath, as skyblues said someones gotta drop points if not both. we play gunny away (please no rain) be a toughen, they are one of the best sides we have played this season after our home game and prob deserved something out the game.

HI Bigdawg ,may cause you more of a problem next year maybe ,a lot more games in the ecpl.Dont know whats going on at looe that pitch should never be wet i suppose the council have the final say.Altarnun pitch good yesterday but very soft at the end.St Teath pitch not looking to bad played 2 games on it yesterday kids in the morning,did cut up a bit but still plenty of grass on it .Shouldnt worry to much about the cup game we are in the same boat,i think we may meet each other at yours if we both get through.Good to see three prem sides in the semi final of the junior cup,pity we had to meet you boys in the second round,dont think the ko cup will be any different.

yeah fair one bout the looe pitch, if its still where it used to be i dont see how it could have been off on sat? thats twice their game with torpoint has been off, maybe they just dont fancy playing them!!

mind u i think it keeps it interesting for longer, as it puts a lot of pressure on every team towards the end of the season. if point played and lost on saturday then it would mean there was a bit of daylight between us and them, becuase its still only 3 points (at the mo!!!!) it means our game v them will have a little more spice if thats possible as they have to win really as tafc-gaffa said.

things should slowly start taking shape from this weekend onwards really...

hi mate ,dont know what the weather is like your way at the moment ,will need to be dry to get your game with gunni on.The St dennis pitch although wet at times holds up fairly well,either one of us could reduce the gap again.I think you may be able to sit back this weekend and wait for the result from our match .Apart from the footy at the moment i personally hope that each and everyone who takes part on here are mamangeing to avoid the credit crunch,there are many who are not so fortunate,thats why Football should always remain something we can all enjoy at this level.Good luck with the weather over the weekend.

That's the difference between a Winner and a Loser!!!

Oh right, what have you won then.

South Western League twice, Cornwall Senior Cup 4 times, League Cup twice, Charity Cup Once. Plenty of Runners Up medals though :(:(

What about you?

Played my youth football in N. Ireland until my late teens. Mind no Colts type thing straight into mens :mellow: football at the age of 14. Moved to the S.West with my family, got married and moved to Pompey where i ended up in Havant. Didn't win as much as you though.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest badgerboy

i think its more like big 3 edgcumbe will win the league with torpoint and st dennis battleing for second, st teath are a mid table team and that will be clear if they lose at altarnon.

Interesting comment considering the current league table. Obviously know your football!

wouldnt say its just edgcumbes to lose. with everyone still playing everyone at least once at the top, the league table could look completely different in 6 weeks or so. at the moment edgcumbe look to be in the best position, only because they beat the teams around them other than st teath (who luckily for us dropped points elsewhere). no disrespect to any other teams but i feel the title is decided on the games between the top 4, the rest, although some tricky, should all be 3 points, and i think will be.

Agree with that bigdawg we still have a lot to do on the road besides the top four,looe will be a struggle,and knowing us Launceston may cause us a few problems.Expect to win all the home games 6 in all ,see what happens then.I think the game against Torpoint to be off now,i presume they will be replaying the junior cup,another week off ! Good luck to all of you left in the county cup should be a great game between you and St Dennis.

think both ties are too close to call. i know everyone expects torpoint to progress but probus really did deserve to win last week, they created 4-5 very good chances whereas i think torpoint only made one in the last minute of the game when batesy missed a 1 on 1. mind you with point now at home, and knowing what they are up against i think they will scrape through.

Us and st dennis could go either way. its down at st dennis now which prob suits both teams as millbrook would have been a bog. We are bringing a stronger squad down than last time and hope for a good result for our manager who is currently in hospital. should be a great game though if its anything like the league match at the start of the season. just hope im fit for it.

also credit to st dennis who from what i understand have been very helpful in getting this match played this week but put us under no pressure whatsoever to play away from home.