Cornwall Football Forum

CANCELLED FIXTURE

Guest Frank le tank

Guest Frank le tank

Borough have just been informed by the league that due to Bude having several players involved in a Cornwall Youth match this weekend that the game against Bude has been cancelled. We are currently finding out if an alternative fixture can be arranged and will know for definate by tomorrow.

What are everyones thoughts on this should games be cancelled for this reason? Or is part of football having a squad players to carry out a fixture even when a few players in the squad aren't present?

Can see both ends of the spectrum as obviously young players shouldn't be at a disadvantage for representing their county. But when its only 2-3 players should the club itself choose to pull out of a fixture?

Guest Alex Haste

Gutted

First last Saturday against Blazey cancelled now this one against Bude!!!!

Example; (The Olympics, Liverpool who lost 3-4 of their first team players due to the Olympics and the European Championships under 21's)

However liverpool were not aloud to call off their own game. Should this not be the same ruling for any team.

Fantastic news and good luck to those who have been called up for the County, but shouldnt a team have players / Reserves or Subs who can fill those boots. Surely those players who dont normally get to play would work their butts off trying to impress their manager and get into the starting line up. A Team should always have a just as strong second 11 to choose from.

Therefore i feel it not fair to call off your own game, if a fixture has been given surely its only the League / County FA who can cancell it eg Frost or Flood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Peppermint

This is a very interesting case that has reared its head again.

It seems to me that different leagues have different rulings.

Newquay have in the past had as much as five players representing the County Youth and this is great for the lads playing but it does devastate the club's teams.

On the first occasion - during the old CSWL I pleaded the Club's case but received no support from other clubs and was told by the Chairman that it was not a youth league so we had to play the fixtures. The next occasion was last year and the CSWPL have the same ruling so Newquay played without 5 players again.

It does seem strange that different leagues can have rulings that allow postponments and some that do not.

It is in my opinion great for the lads concerned and Newquay are missing a key player in Aaron Bicknell when they take on Foxhole on Saturday.

In posting - good luck to Tommy Matthews and the team at the weekend.

I think we need David Bray to enlighten us on this one.My understanding is that CCFA gives affected clubs permission to postpone if they wish to do so.I appreciate it presents a dilemma for the Bude manager-but what if they had a wedding; or 2 or 3 players were on holiday?

Surely it's time for a definitive ruling from CCFA. David?

I think the question is how much importance is placed on the Cornwall County Youth side.

If it is felt that there is a benefit to the young players by playing for the youth side and if there is a benefit to Cornish football by entering a team in the tournament then it needs to be supported. In the event it is unfair for a club who may have aspirations of honours to be forced to play without several of their best players. The end result of that will be that players either wont play for the county or the clubs wont play young players.

To be quite blunt, whilst St Stephens Borough are quite rightly aggrieved at losing another fixture, the club would be reluctant to play without three of our best players.

I must confess that I dont know enough about the tournament or the travelling involved but would mid week games be a possibility?

it would be interesting to hear views on how people rate the importance of county youth...

does a handful of games a year(if that)with players you dont play or train with week in week out really benefit the players involved??

and why do the subs if they are gonna get 90 minutes for their club?!!

Guest st george9

im sure if bude have the option to cancell a match because they miss 3 top players im sure they take it.as would most teams..bude have a few games to catch up in the league now and going have a tougth run in .

im not sure it happens in the devon county as im sure parkway have played when players play for devon youth?

anyway maybe the county youth manager wants to come to salt mill some time an see some a couple young players that play for st stephens borough..

Gentlemen, may i reply.

County Rule 12 - Page 47 of the CCFA Handbook.

In essence

' Clubs with 2 or more players selected for County duty will be granted permission to cancel their league fixture'. if they so desire.

However, and this is the important bit, the ruleing applies to clubs in Step 7. These being the Combo. and the ECPL.

Clubs in the Pensula League - Step 6, cannot and will not be given permission to cancel their match if it clashes with a county fixture. See Pensula League Rule 8:14

All leagues of step 6 and above have this rule incorporated, which is the main reason why there is no more competitive 'Senior' representative football. :c:

Totally agree as well. Parkway have been given the opportunity to cancel games but refused to do so. They have a big enough squad to cater for this. I am sure Clubs who have players representing their respective Counties will not relish long distance travel to fulfill outstanding fixtures during the week which could cost them dearly when it comes to relegation and promotion issue.

What I do not understand id why Clubs leave it to the very last minute to cancel games. All clubs are given sufficent notice by County regarding the players selected. So why leave it so late ?

From out point of view all of our players want to play the match, especially because we already have a backlog of fixtures but at the same time we dont want to play the most important matches of our season e.g parkway away and boro away without our best players. However we then have to look at whether this will cost us at the end of the season with other teams bringing in players to gain promotion/ stay up in this league, especialyl the teams who have 1st teams in the peninsula leagues. As a player its frustrasting because you want to play games but at the same time you dont want to lose crucial games due to cornwall youth having games. It would be interesting to hear what other clubs would have done in our situation? Play the game when we dont have to without our best players and fullfil our fixtures early? Or cancel it and have a backlog of fixtures at the end of the season?

Guest Peppermint

Without wishing to upset the eminent Chairman - I remember St Blazey calling games off because they had players in the full County Squad - it was just the County Youth matches that the old CSWL did not allow cancellations.

That was my main argument that Newquay had to make do with 5 or 6 players playing for the Youth Team but if a club had three or more players in the full County Squad then games could be cancelled.

Newquay were told in no uncertain terms that it was not a Youth league and basically it was our fault for having too many good young players. Then what did the old CSWL do allowed Argyle in the league for one disruptive season and then they dropped out again!!!!

Sorry for the rant - but it still rankles with Newquay Football Club.

Another scenario:

Suppose the Bude town players opt out of playing for the County Youth;would they be allowed to play for their Club.or would CCFA refuse (e.g. No County..NO Club!).

One supposes there is a simple solution to this nebulous situation....Play County Youth games mid week.I have no doubt CCFA could stand the expense.

Guest Peppermint

Fair point Mr Chairman - but I have no objections if Trevor Mewton as manager uses a rule to benefit his team. If there is a rule in place then by all means use it to your club.

Adlestrop u bring up a good point. We have also talked about this scenario but i feel it is not fair that our club turns around and says to the players in the County Youth squad that you have to choose who to play for. It should be a privilage for them to play for their county however its not fair that it effects our team as well. I agree with County Youth games beign played mid week would be much easier all round.

Our away fixtures this season include Wiltshire and Dorset, we've already played away against Berks and Bucks. How far do you want us to travel mid-week? How will we get to Guernsey next year? What if our cup match against Worcestershire was away in December?

I quite understand the problems, I have to deal with them as well. Why not ask some of the players who are currently playing at youth level or some that have played before and see whether they feel it's good for their development?

Hi Tommy,naturally the Players would feel that way, but what about the Clubs striving to retain Supporter loyalty at a very difficult time? Disruption/Postponements tend to test their enthusiasm and the fact that a couple of players are missing should not be used as an excuse for any team to call off. We all face the loss of our best players every week, what with supsensions,injury, work etc.