Cornwall Football Forum

Sunday 11/1 results

Cornwall Sunday Cup

Gloweth Utd 1 Lamorna 3 h/t 0-2

Superb strike from 30 yards after 3 minutes added to by a shot from 15 yards in the 37th minute gave the visitors a two goal lead at half time playing with the wind.

Chris Jones struck from 30 yards for Gloweth with ten minutes left but a handball resulted in a very late penalty for Lamorna.

Crowntown 4 Star 2

Third and fourth in the league this morning, sharing a ground, this had the making of a cracking game. The huge, highly strung, emotional crowd of, possibly 8, (They wouldn't stay still for long enough to count.) was not disappointed.

Crowntown opened the scoring after two minutes with a breakaway down the right, Stuart Smeeth tidily slotted in the cross.

Star's reply came from a finely struck shot from Liam Mooney. The boy done good to wrap his foot round a cross that seemed to be passing behind him.

Just before half-time another fine move down the right, finished with a tap in for Crowntown.

Second half, Crowntown's pressure and speed down the flanks threatened to bury Star. Jamie Marles skipped past the keeper, who cleverly avoided the temptation to go for red card, for a third. Jason Smeeth beat the keeper in a one-on-one. (I thought the keeper punched it in as Jason went past him - but Jason disagrees).

Cruisin' Crowntown were rocked a little when Jamie Mooney walked past the keeper (he wasn't doing running) and passed it into the net with about 10 minutes to go. After a short panic (An excellent defensive tactic) Crowntown saw the game out, Peter Lamin thumping a shot against the post.

A really great advert for Sunday football. Excellent spirit, played hard with some high quality skills on display. Dave Newberry, the excellent referee, professed that "I came quite close to enjoying it."

Cornwall Sunday Cup

Superb strike from 30 yards after 3 minutes added to by a shot from 15 yards in the 37th minute gave the visitors a two goal lead at half time playing with the wind.

Chris Jones struck from 30 yards for Gloweth with ten minutes left but a handball resulted in a very late penalty for Lamorna.

Looks like the Devon team are on course to win the CORNWALL SUNDAY CUP

Perhaps Plymouth Parkway should apply for the Cornwall Senior Cup?

Also heard it was St.Blazey 5 Truro GWRSA 3 and Carlyon Arms 0 White Hart St.Teath 1 in the Sunday Cup

I played for Carlyon Arms yesterday and it was our first defeat in 12 games. St Teath WILL win the cup this year and I'm not saying that because they knocked us out. They are the St Teath Duchy premier side and have lost 1 game all season, their aim is to win every trophy available this year hence entering the Sunday cup. Yesterdays game was 2 very good sides that cancelled each other out, we had the ball in the net early on but the referee had already blown for a free kick to us and was unable to play the advantage. Our "star" player was suspended for the game which didn't help but we can't rely on one player to win us competitions.

Guest lamornafc

Cornwall Sunday Cup

Looks like the Devon team are on course to win the CORNWALL SUNDAY CUP

Perhaps Plymouth Parkway should apply for the Cornwall Senior Cup?

There seems to still be a misunderstanding as to our eligibility to play in the Cornwall cup...Plymouth Parkway are a Devon registered team I believe therefore not eligible for the cup...

However...

Lamorna FC was set up in Cornwall and are registered in Cornwall and the Chairman, secretary and social secretary live in Cornwall therefore we have to be and are happy to be registered as a Cornish team... unfortunately it is easier to get lads to travel to Plymouth than it is to travel 1 hour at a time every Sunday morning down into Cornwall...

My wife and I founded the team I was born in Truro, she was born in Penzance, we founded the team and are proud of our Cornish heritage...lets hope the teams continue to make us feel welcome...

I hope this finally clears up the confusion...if not always happy to receive messages and questions...

We are enjoying the Sunday Cup, its great to play some good matches rather then the usual up in Plymouth where they kick chunks out of you first and play football later...

Looking forward to the next round... Good luck to all...

We (Carlyon Arms) played Lamorna away in last years Sunday Cup and were glad of the opportunity to play away from our usual haunts as we never seem to get drawn against teams down west. The drive is a trek but the facilities are decent and the team were a decent bunch of lads, they definitely tried to play football rather than kick us. Personally I don't want the Saturday teams ie St Teath, Queens Head in the Sunday Cup, Lamorna on the other hand play in a Sunday league and are on an equal standing with the Cornwall Sunday teams. Although we beat them 3-0 last year they were very competitive and on another day we could have lost to them. I for one would like to play against teams like Lamorna more often due to the competition they would bring to our league. We currently sit top of our 10 team league with a greater goal difference than the other 9 teams combined. Although winning by 7,8,9,10 goals is great for goal difference, decent players prefer playing against teams on an equal footing. I would welcome a game against Lamorna far more than against a team we know will be 6-0 down at half time.

Do you have players who play on a Saturday as well as any Senior players in your team Bumdingo?

Most of our team play either for Foxhole who are in the Duchy Premier or Roche which is Duchy 2 or 3, both teams junior status clubs, we have no senior status players and have no intention of signing any. I've played since 1993 and can remember only 1 or 2 senior status players who have turned out for us over the years. The team is a mix of a few teenagers, most in their early 20's, myself and a couple of others in their late 30's and 1 guy in his mid 40's who looks after himself and is as consistent as anyone in the team. Some of the team have played for the Carlyon Arms for over 10 years which has helped keep the spine of the team ie same goalie, central defender and captain. Most of our players train during the week with their Saturday squads and most play in the 6 a-side leagues to. Our current manager, now in his second season manages Roche aswell so knows all the players and has plenty of contacts, his father runs the Foxhole side and runs the line for us. Myself and a few of the older members no longer play Saturdays but all of us have in the past and have @ least 10 - 20 years under our belts. All this helps, having good quality facilities, changing rooms, pitches, a supportive pub helps. It costs us £75 per home game to play + £300 in insurance and affiliation to enter each season which is covered by the players and the pub. Every player to a man is happy to contribute monies each week (home and away) which shows the commitment to the club. Benched players accept squad selection which shows harmony and the manager will rotate to give all players a run. There are no bad apples in the team, everyone just wants to play football on a Sunday morning, there are to many years when you can't play! I like to think we're a fair team, although we have won 9 of our 10 league games this season, most of them comfortably, we appreciate the other teams contribution and like to think that maybe they had an off day and we played well. Without them we wouldn't have a game. It's a shame this year (as with most years) we haven't had a chance to play against a team from the leagues down west.

Guest lamornafc

Looking at the Semi-Final Draw for the Sunday County Cup it should be a good match... St Teath seem to have been winning well throughout the cup... Looking forward to 22nd Feb lets hope the weather holds and it gets played...

Guest Walter Raleigh

To be fair that was his 1st goal of the season and it was aided a bit by having the wind behind it making it dip & swerve (as did the Gloweth goal.) Both good strikes though and he hasn't stopped talking about it since. It's gone from 25yards out to by the half way line!!!

Incidentally Gloweth's goal was the 1st goal we've conceded in the cup this year.

All our lads are buzzing and looking forward to the Semi final. As most people have said it is unusal for a team playing in a Plymouth league to be in the CCFA cup, but we are legit, as Andy says, and are enjoying playing some new teams.

I remember the Carlyon game last year, it was a good game and we felt we could easily have won had we taken our chances, but goals win games and fair play to them.

All the teams we've faced have all be a good bunch of lads and that's really what it's all about.

We've a website on clubwebsite if anyone wants to follow our progress (www.clubwebsite.co.uk/lamornafc) or fancies a pre-season friendly.

Rich

Guest badgerboy

Also heard it was St.Blazey 5 Truro GWRSA 3 and Carlyon Arms 0 White Hart St.Teath 1 in the Sunday Cup

I played for Carlyon Arms yesterday and it was our first defeat in 12 games. St Teath WILL win the cup this year and I'm not saying that because they knocked us out. They are the St Teath Duchy premier side and have lost 1 game all season, their aim is to win every trophy available this year hence entering the Sunday cup. Yesterdays game was 2 very good sides that cancelled each other out, we had the ball in the net early on but the referee had already blown for a free kick to us and was unable to play the advantage. Our "star" player was suspended for the game which didn't help but we can't rely on one player to win us competitions.

Know the white hart lads and its basically the old st breward team who have entered the county cup for the last several seasons (the kit is a dead giveaway!). Six of the lads who played play 4 st teath duchy prem side the rest come from other local teams. Little bit naughty saying they only entered the cup coz their trying to win everything when the boys have entered it for the last 6 or 7 seasons. Apparently only left st breward coz of non football politics.