Cornwall Football Forum

Favourite Football Memory

midfield

Mine is the same as my signature. Watching Charlie George scoring what turned out to be the winning goal is as fresh in my memory as the day it happened. I'll never forget his celebration as long as I live. I saw a re-run of that match on ESPN Classic a few weeks ago and the quality of football played by both sides was a good as anything seen today.

An uncle of mine took me to see Wolves play Man Utd in 1969 which was my first match. Best, Law and Charlton were playing I believe and it was a 0-0 draw with an astonishing crowd of nearly 53,000 packed into Molineux.

I can also remember (because I'm old enough!) Sp--s winning the FA Cup and completing the double :( and also watching the TV in a shop window when we got beaten by then West Germany in the 1970 World Cup. We were on holiday at the time and loads of people were doing the same.

What are other peoples favourite memories?

Good topic!

Paul Williams (the left back) popping up from nowhere and leaping like a salmon to head past Carl Emberson in the Colchester goal in the 1996 play off semi final at home park. 7 minutes left, we were going out n then that happend. Unbelivable!

i was only 12 and have never felt a feeling like it before or since! absoloute extacy!

Thats why we love football :clapper:

This topic has brought a smile to my face. :D

So many. My Favourite would have to be in the stand in Sapporo, at the Japan World Cup in 2002. England v Argentina.

The Argies all year were giving the English fans crap, "We will kill English" blah blah blah

The atmosphere was the most intense I have ever experienced. The flag of St George all around the Stadium. An Argie tried taking one down, nearly started a bloddy riot.

Just before half time, Owen was brought down in the box. Pierluigi Collina pointed to the spot. The captain David Beckham stepped up valiantly , England fans fell silent. Beckham ran up, cameras flashed everywhere, smashed the ball into the back of the net, the stand erupted. I remember running down the stand to rush to my hero. Beckham jumped up into the air punching his fists to the England supporters.

My View

Then the chants started "Hello, Hello we sank the Belgrano, Hello, Hello we sank the Belgrano"

"Are you Scotland in Disguise, Are you Scotland in Disguise"

Final whistle blown, England fans jubilant. "Lets go ******** mental, lets go ***** mental"

The Argies run so fast out the stadium bloddy bricking themselves!

England till I Die! :drink::drink::drink::drink:

Second - As a kid seeing Carharrack become the first side to win the Mining League Treble the first time in the league history.

If ever there was a topic to get teary-eyed about, this is the one!!!

I'm gonna cheat a little bit on this one and go for Favourite live & non-live football memories.

Favourite 'Live' football memory has to be the my first visit to White Hart Lane, as a 10 year old on 9 Dec 1989 against Everton (a fine 2-1 win I'll add with Paul Stewart & Gary Lineker scoring). The main thing I remember as I stood on the Shelf Side with me old man (a certain Spurs fan from somerset!) was how the ground looks so much smaller than when it is on TV.

Favourite 'Non Live' football memory is the goal Glenn Hoddle scored (against Oxford) on his last appearance (I think) at White Hart Lane in 1987. He dribbles past 3 defenders just past the centre circle and then when clean through on the goalie, he sells him a dummy and leaves him square on his ass, before calmly rolling the ball into the net. Absolutely class from a true Spurs legend, and I feel lucky that I can just about remember his last couple of years at Spurs (playing-wise), and apparently at the 1998 World Cup training showed David Beckham how to take a free-kick, he's still got it!!!

Remember that one well Peck.

Im afraid I go back to 6th May 1961,watching Leicester City v Tottenham Cup Final on my parents

black and white telly as a mere 7 year old.

Having already secured the League Championship,goals from Bobby Smith and Terry Dyson in the

second half wins us the double,the first team to do so since Villa in 1897.

The other moment is when another Tottenham legend Paul Gascoinge scores that amazing 30yrd

free kick against you know who at Wembley in 1991,then going on to win the game 3-1,to go to the final,

and stop the goons doing the double.

Great days.

COYS. :thumbsup::clapper::smiley20::thumbsup::clapper: :smiley20:

facup88.jpg

Wimbledon show the way

Friday, 14 May 2004.

Wimbledon 1-0 Liverpool

Sanchez 37

The FA Cup Final

Wembley

14 May 1988

Outsiders at 33-1 before the Third Round in January, Wimbledon turned the form book upside down to beat Liverpool, recently crowned League champions and one of the hottest favourites for years, in the 107th Challenge Cup Final before a shirt-sleeved 98,000 crowd in the stadium and about 250 million television viewers worldwide.

It proved to be a day for unlikely heroes and Wimbledon, a non-League club just 11 short years ago and playing in the Fourth Division only five years ago, had two outstanding performers in goalkeeper Dave Beasant and midfielder Lawrie Sanchez.

Beasant, 6' 4'' tall, was responsible for two FA Cup Final 'firsts' as he became the first goalkeeper to receive The Cup and the first to save a penalty kick at Wembley. In fact no one had missed anywhere since Wallace for Sunderland in 1913.

Wimbledon had lived dangerously at times but their luck looked to have run out in the 61st minute, when referee Hill pointed dramatically to the spot after John Aldridge had gone down as Goodyear came sliding in to deny the Liverpool striker a shooting opportunity.

Beasant and his defence were adamant that the man had played the ball but the controversy subsided after Beasant had brilliantly turned Aldridge's spot kick round his left-hand post.

It was Aldridge's first failure in 12 penalties and as he was substituted almost immediately, he must have looked back in frustration at another incident, in the first half, when Beasant had foiled him with a spectacular one-handed save from point-blank range.

As the ball looped into the air with the giant goalkeeper lying on his back on the goal-line, an upright John Barnes seemed certain to score, but somehow Beasant stretched up to palm the ball sideways for Jones to hack it away for a corner.

Liverpool felt mightily aggrieved in the 35th minute, when Peter Beardsley broke away from Thorn's illegal tackle on the edge of the penalty area and proceeded to coolly chip the ball over Beasant's dive and gently into the net, only to be called back and given a meaningless free-kick instead.

Within two minutes Wimbledon had got the vital goal that ultimately won The Cup for this unfashionable team from a quiet London suburb.

Full back Terry Phelen was jostled by Nicol near to the corner flag out on the left, and when Dennis Wise's right-footer from the free kick curled in towards the near post, Lawrie Sanchez - born in London with a father from Ecuador and an Irish mother - scored with a simple glancing header into the far corner. It was his first FA Cup goal and only his fifth all season.

Wimbledon might have snatched a second goal just before the interval, but Terry Gibson's left-foot shot from a difficult angle cleared the bar after the leaping Grobbelaar had allowed the ball to drop behind him.

Liverpool, in the quest for a second 'double' in three years, moved purposefully forward throughout the second half, but only in rare moments did Beardsley and Barnes look like producing something to save the day.

Team Details

Wimbledon: Beasant, Goodyear, Phelan, Jones, Young, Thorn, Gibson (Scales), Cork (Cunningham), Fashanu, Sanchez, Wise

Liverpool: Grobbelaar, Gillespie, Ablett, Nicol, Spackman (Molby), Hansen, Beardsley, Aldridge (Johnston), Houghton, Barnes, McMahon

EASY.... 1991 FA Cup semi final at Wembley against the Gooners when Paul Gascoigne was some 40ish yards away from 1 of the best keepers in the world at the time and Gary Lineker walked upto him and said in his ear "just smack it"... The rest IS history, what a moment, what a player, what a goal...

Then a few short weeks later was one of my worst memories ever, The final and Gazza totally losing it and effectively beginning the end of his career, sad day for me personally.

Guest Postie Pidge

Being an avid supporter of Falmouth Town, watching this team of newbies and unheard ofs not only winning the (Jewson) South Western League, but also the League Cup and Cornwall Senior Cup (the first for 18 years) in 1996/97.

Against Nanpean in the final, Falmouth were strong favourites and after taking the lead, Nanpean equalised and was 1-1 for along time. With less than 10 minutes to go, Jerry Soloman rounded Sid Taylor and with an open goal at his mercy, the ball hit a divot and Town survived. The replay was won 2-1. Town were lucky!

The league was won with a 2-1 win over Bodmin at Bickland. Dale Band scored Town's goal and again it was 1-1 for a long time. Ten minutes to go and Falmouth win a penalty, Lee Cansfield takes the kick and it was saved! With six minutes remaining, Falmouth were awarded an indirect free kick in their own half and Dave Sweet takes it, launching it goalwards. On a rock hard pitch, the ball takes a huge bounce and keeper Simon Burtenshaw turned from hero to villain as the ball nicks his glove as he tries to tip it over the bar thus scoring an own goal nd rendering Truro's 5-1 win at St Blazey irrevelent. Town were lucky!

Two days later, Falmouth and Truro - first and second in the league met at Newquay in the League Cup Final. Town go two up before Truro scored two to take it to extra time. There were doubts on one of Truro's goals as from a corner at the clubhouse end, the ball seemed to go out of play before coming back but the full time score was 2-2. Andy Street scored the winner to cap a magical season in which everything seemed to go Town's way (all apart from the Charity Cup when Falmouth were eliminated for not registering the ENTIRE team - oh how it could have been different had we won that as well!).

Three trophies, the fourth domestic treble and a dream first season in management for Dave Ball.

MAGIC!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Far too many to mention but as a child watching Leytonstone v West Ham and seeing Bobby Moore play was a treat. As a teenager, watching Southend United lift the old 4th Division Title was special. In my 20's, seeing Chelsea win the old 2nd Div in the ramshackle Stamford Bridge with the £2m East Stand looking so out of place (seems a bargain now, thanks Mr Bates). During my 30's Canvey Island took me on some special league and cup journies but Exeter away in the Conference stands out and now I am in my early 40's (ouch) Penzance away winning 2-0 with The Peppermints will take some beating.

Easy choice im afraid.....

Manchester United's Treble Winning season of 1999

The Champions League Final of that year was amazing!

I remember sitting watching the game in my living room (I was only 10 at the time) and thinking it wasnt going to be!

Then, the most amazing, unexpected two minutes of Football in Manchester Unites History unfolded in front of the whole world!

Words struggle to describe it personally, it was just amazing!

My mood has never changed so quickly in 1 minute and 41 seconds (the time between Manchester United's two injury time goals)

Pure Amazment, somthing I will remember forever!

My first memory was seeing Maradona tear england apart at wembley i can't remember the year but it was my first trip to wembley (school trip) this youngster was unheard of then and became th greatest player on the planet a few years later and tore us apart again even with the hand of god a few years after that.

My own personal favoutite football moment was winning the treble with Perranwell we didn't have Maradona bout we did have Boysie and gregory........

Guest danny-efc-pafc

Wednesday 7th september 2005

74th minute steve davis chipping the ball over the england back four and david healy smashing the ball past paul robinson

AMAZING!!!!!

Northern ireland 1 -0 England

Windsor Park att 14,000

David healy getting a hat trick against spain

Great topic.

Proudest moment 23/3/97 Oldham completed the 92 grounds.

First prof match 1/4/61 at Leicester.

First visit to Wembley 12/5/71.

World Cup Final 17/7/94. Great tournament, pity about the final.

Best atmosphere England v Germany semi 26/6/96 - you really could have cut it with a knife.

Never did much as a player (feet too slow for my brain!) but once played a school match coming back from 3-0 down at h/t to win 4-3 and I scored twice.

In 2000 i played for SV Rotenburg Vs FC Lunenberg in the Kriesliga cup Final sponsored by Sparkasse Bank at the Mighty Weser park stadion ( Werder Bremens Ground). won 3 0 and even though there were 4500 fans there and it sounded empty, the atmosphere was a different gravy. :c:

Playing Wise.

Beating Perranporth in the Junior Cup 1/4 final at Aggie, with a decent amount watching. Proper village pride at stake from both clubs. Fantastic day and night.

Watching.

Hmm, watching Liverpool win in the Nou Camp, San Siro. The Olympiacos game when Gerrard hit a late winner, Juve game was something else for intense atmosphere. FA Cup semi final at Old Trafford, beating Chelsea, Old Trafford has never looked so good. But the FA Cup Final in 2006 take some beating, being 20 rows back when Stevie Gerrard popped one in from distance!

Had some great days watching Argyle as well, Stoney winner at St James Park in the last minute, Paul McGregor Hat-Trick at Torquay on a 4 seasons in one day game!

Easy choice im afraid.....

Manchester United's Treble Winning season of 1999

The Champions League Final of that year was amazing!

I remember sitting watching the game in my living room (I was only 10 at the time) and thinking it wasnt going to be!

Then, the most amazing, unexpected two minutes of Football in Manchester Unites History unfolded in front of the whole world!

Words struggle to describe it personally, it was just amazing!

My mood has never changed so quickly in 1 minute and 41 seconds (the time between Manchester United's two injury time goals)

Pure Amazment, somthing I will remember forever!

Also my first choice. Still get goose bumps whenever I see the goals....."AND SOLSJEAR HAS DONE IT!!!!"

Still remember a Leeds fan mate going just as loopy as the rest of us. MAGIC!

Nearly as good, the penalty shoot out win. Thought we had blown it after such a great 1st half when United could have been up by a couple of goals. JT's tears are still as beautiful as Niagra!

On a personal level I would say winning the schools Cornwall u18's cup without conceding a goal for the entire competition. Beat hot favorites Penwith in the semi with my fine goal. Matt Drummond scored the winning goal in the final vs Bodmin.

Nearly as good was Andy Westgarths last second winner in Combo cup semi vs Helston for Fal Town, though my celebration left a lot to be desired!!

To put a twist on things how about the worst memories!?

Mine would have to be the pen shoot out we lost in 98 to the dirty Argies!

Playing wise would be being sent off in cup final Westys goal put us into, ref was a ***** though!!

Mine would have to be on the 26th May 1999 at the Nou Camp.

I thought it was over and i still can't believe what happened.

This just beats the England 4 Holland 1 at Euro 96, when i actually

thought:- Football was coming home!!!.

Personally it would have to be Beating Falmouth Athletic in the 1996 Percy Stephens Cup

after losing to them a few months earlier in the West Junior Cup Final 6-1 after scoring

after 9 seconds!!. It was good to win this cup with a great team with so many friends

involved.

This is a good topic

My favorite football momment would have to be the 1980 F.A Cup final, i was 10 my sister is an Arsenal fan and my Dad got tickets for us to go, That was only my second live game my first being a Chelsea game as my Dad supports them and thought i would go blue :D (How wrong he was) (Or was i wrong) lol :D

I said to my Sister that as she supported the Arsenal i was going for the other team and got such a ribbing and it was me who was laughing all the way home after the game, My first taste of the old Wembley and what an amazing day, One that will stay with me until i pass away

Since then i have supported the HAMMERS and always will even though i get more stick from my Sister and Dad as their teams do so much better than mine, It may have been the last thing that we won but i was there to witness it and im just glad i had the oppertunity to do so

West Ham V Arsenal 1980 F.A Cup Final (Brooking Goal)

Other games as a neutral would have to include the Liverpool V Arsenal game that has been mentioned already when Micheal Thomas scored the winning goal to give Arsenal the tittle and also the Liverpool Champions league final against A.C Milan when they were 3 - 0 down at half time and came back to win on penaltys (What a game)

There are just so many and i am sure whoever has or does post on this topic will remember oneanothers momments because they are all great

I have followed Chelsea most of my life and there have been many, many highs and lows in that journey.

I also lived at Exeter for a few years and saw nearly all their home games - including the incredible FA Cup 5th round win over Newcastle United in 1981 in front of 17,000 fans -

But,

By far and away - my greatest ever moment was Wembley - May 2007 - FA Vase Final - 36,000 -

Truro City 3 AFC Totton 1

Wednesday 7th september 2005

74th minute steve davis chipping the ball over the england back four and david healy smashing the ball past paul robinson

AMAZING!!!!!

Northern ireland 1 -0 England

Windsor Park att 14,000

David healy getting a hat trick against spain

I tried desperately for ticket for that match mate, I went into a draw with 10,000 other for 106 tickets to England supporters association. Result no ticket

Two similar events separated by 33 years....

As a ten year old at Penlee Park on Easter Sunday 1970, I saw Jack Strick of the underdog Tinners chip the Illogan keeper to complete a hat-trick and win the Combo Cup.

The names: Fred Prigg, Dennis Way, Jack Way, Trevor George, Alan Harvey, Barrie Matthews, Mike Lawry, Malcolm Lawry, Jack Strick, Malcolm Jones, Terry Addicoat.

On a more recent Easter Sunday at Gala Parc, after 1-1 and a scoreless extra time against Falmouth including Bryn Wheeler hitting a post, John McCallum slotted the fifth penalty in the shoot-out for St Just to bring the trophy back home.

Dave Webb's header as Chelsea came from behind to beat Revie and The Damned United 2-1 in an F.A.Cup Final replay is up there as well, but that was on TV. I did see Roberto di Matteo win the cup for the Blues at Wembley after 16 seconds, but Middlesborough did not have the same capacity to be hated as Dirty Leeds....

The team: Bonetti, Harris, McCreadie, Hollins, Dempsey, Webb, Cooke, Hudson, Osgood, Hutchinson, Houseman.

:yahoo:

Guest mauricio

My best memory so far was on the euro 2000 on the group stage when Portugal beat England 3-2...

I was at the pub in Portugal with my father in law ( he is English) and it was a English pub, so u can imagine the ammount of grief i had from all the English people in the pub when England scored the first 2 goals.

But then our luck changed and Portugal ended up winning 3-2.

I know it was only a group stage but it was an amazing game to watch, even though Portugal didn't managed to get to the final :angry2:

Please do not have a go at me just because my favourite memory of a football game is against England! I have nothing against England!

I hope i didn't upset anyone :P

i have 2!!!!!

one wen i was a kid............can remeber it now, was so upset thinking man u had lost the champs league then sheringham and solskjaer popped up and turned it around!!!!!!!!AMAZING wot a night!

then there was last year when man u clashed with chelsea, even more intense, a full english final. and being surrounded by liverpool and chelsea fans watching the final...it was so intense. i cudnt imagine losing and when it went to penaltys. the stress was unbelievable. especially wen we started losing and all JT had to do was convert to win it and he slipped. LEGEND. vandersar what a hero!!!!! then there was the unbelivable celbrations this night will be remebered for as long as i live!

another key footballing memory was david beckhams superman moment against greece to send us to the world cup

as a gooner, my first wembley trip was in 93, when we beat the mighty Sheff Weds in the League Cup Final.

I never forget Morrow scoring the winner, then it seemed like seconds after Big Tony Adams dropped him off his shoulders after the final whistle!

I remember thinking he was dead!!

- I was very shocked to see him a few months later at the FA Cup final on telly!